The Great American Read discussion

Old Posts 2018 > 3 Weeks in. How are we doing so far? 6/14 update.

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jun 29, 2018 02:48PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
We're 3 weeks in. How are we doing so far? Here is a quick update and a few questions.

1. We're starting A Prayer for Owen Meany tomorrow. Who is planning to join us? Who would like to facilitate the discussion?*

2. We will start A Tree Grows in Brooklyn on July 1. Who is planning to read it? Who would like to facilitate the discussion?

3. Does anyone want to start a regular Group read on July 15? Or wait until August 1?

4. Does anyone want to schedule a new Bonus Read - perhaps one of the books that didn't win the last poll?

5. I'm taking the Catch 22 graphic down today. You can still discuss it in the Bonus Read folder.

* Facilitating a discussion simply requires that you check in periodically to keep the discussion going. You might want to ask some questions.

COMMENTS?

message 2: by Janet, series facilitator (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 91 comments Mod
I am planning to read Owen Meany but probably won't start until sometime in July. Personal preference is to wait until August 1st to start a new Group Read.

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments I'm planning on "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn".
I'd rather one in July, but will go with the flow.

message 4: by Tammy (new)

Tammy I'd be happy to facilitate the Owen Meany discussion. I've read it 3 times and come away from it thinking something new every time. I have lots of thoughts on this book and could probably whip up discussion if people are really into it.

I'd move for an August start for the next group read, but defer to what everybody else wants!

Happy reading.

message 5: by Hal (new)

Hal (halbgold) | 17 comments I will start A Prayer for Owen Meany ( if it arrives shortly) sometime next week. I am finishing up another book and with two plane rides should complete it by this weekend. I am open to starting it as a group read whenever others wish.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather (bruyere) I can't commit to anything for sure, but I would like to try "A Tree" in July.

message 7: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Tammy wrote: "I'd be happy to facilitate the Owen Meany discussion. I've read it 3 times and come away from it thinking something new every time. I have lots of thoughts on this book and could probably whip up d..."

Great! You're the perfect person to facilitate!

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie Lewis (riobrewster) | 22 comments Just started Owen Meany. Looking forward to this!

message 9: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Julie wrote: "Just started Owen Meany. Looking forward to this!"

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it! Feel free to hop on over to the non spoiler side for Owen Meany. Nancy put up some really good thoughts yesterday.

message 10: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
I have read 8 books from the list since joining this group. I read 1984. Im waiting for owen meany to become available for check out at the library. I will be reading a tree grows in brooklyn with the group in July.

message 11: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

J. wrote: "I have read 8 books from the list since joining this group. I read 1984. Im waiting for owen meany to become available for check out at the library. I will be reading a tree grows in brooklyn with ..."

Awesome. Did you see the Challenge?

message 12: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "I have read 8 books from the list since joining this group. I read 1984. Im waiting for owen meany to become available for check out at the library. I will be reading a tree grows in bro..."

I did!! I haven't had time to really sit down and fill it out yet though.

message 13: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 68 comments Can we get a thread for Their Eyes Were Watching God ? I just read it and it's the best book ever!

I have to look for this challenge that you spoke of

message 14: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments Sue wrote: "Can we get a thread for Their Eyes Were Watching God ? I just read it and it's the best book ever!

I have to look for this challenge that you spoke of"

Hey Sue - I just added a thread for Their eyes here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

As for the challenge, I see you found the main thread (I have so much trouble finding that one) and here you can just create a shelf and participate via the GR challenge process as well: https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...

message 15: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 68 comments Thanks Ella! I'll post when I get on the computer tomorrow

message 16: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Sue wrote: "Thanks Ella! I'll post when I get on the computer tomorrow"

I moved the challenge folder up, if that helps.

message 17: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments Thanks, Nancy. I think I just couldn't comprehend how I got from the first announcement post to the other actual challenge, and moving it up helped, so thanks.