Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Does anyone know what's wrong with Goodreads?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karin (last edited Jun 13, 2018 04:01PM) (new)

Karin | 7456 comments First of all, I can no longer go to a friend's page and find a link to send a private message. Secondly, I can no longer find a link to compare books. Third, well there are other annoying changes. Does anyone know what's up with this? At least one person asked me to PM them and I had to search through all my PMs until I found her. Today I had to do the same thing again with someone else.

The compare books is important if I get friend requests from people in groups where I don't know the people well or if they are suggesting a book for me to read, etc.

And I can't find the goodreads feedback/question group anymore. I might have quit it, but I tried to search for it under groups and couldn't find it.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Karin, if you go to your friend's page you will see a big box at the top that says "friends" with a check mark by it. Then, to the right, there is the word "more" with a little down carrot. Click on that and you will find the option to message and compare books.

message 3: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7456 comments Nicole R wrote: "Karin, if you go to your friend's page you will see a big box at the top that says "friends" with a check mark by it. Then, to the right, there is the word "more" with a little down carrot. Click o..."

Thanks! They must have changed it and I didn't bother to read it if they sent a message describing it.

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I am not sure when they changed it and I didn’t see a message on it. Just poked around a bit.

Now that you point that out though, I notice several design changes....

message 5: by Cynda (last edited Jun 13, 2018 06:38PM) (new)

Cynda  (cynda) Will this link to Goodreads Feedback group help you get your answer? I use this group when I run into problems.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6380 comments The change on the profiles was a week or so ago ... no announcement at all. And most of the feedback ... that Cynda kindly linked to ... is negative.

message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6380 comments As to the big question your post title asks ....

GR is apparently trying to make everything "mobile friendly" .... so rather than fixing the mobile app to be responsive, they are changing the desktop version to be LESS responsive and match the mobile app "(non)features" ... S*I*G*H

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments Book Concierge wrote: "As to the big question your post title asks ....

GR is apparently trying to make everything "mobile friendly" .... so rather than fixing the mobile app to be responsive, they are changing the desk..."

Seems counterproductive to me. 🙄

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6731 comments Book Concierge wrote: "As to the big question your post title asks ....

GR is apparently trying to make everything "mobile friendly" .... so rather than fixing the mobile app to be responsive, they are changing the desk..."

Hmmm, yeah I just noticed that with the annual challenge, you used to be able to sort the books by dates read OR by rating - - which I really liked because you could see your faves for the year in a quick glance. Not any more. I really don't like the idea of making the desktop app worse to appeal to mobile users. The app sucks - - let's not go backwards.

message 10: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2666 comments Downgrading to match the app which is so restricted and clunky. A sound business decision if I ever saw one. 😒

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6731 comments KateNZ wrote: "Downgrading to match the app which is so restricted and clunky. A sound business decision if I ever saw one. 😒"

LOL - - I concur.

message 12: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7456 comments KateNZ wrote: "Downgrading to match the app which is so restricted and clunky. A sound business decision if I ever saw one. 😒"

Yes, it makes sense to make it more app friendly since so many people use their phones now.

message 13: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9049 comments Book Concierge wrote: "The change on the profiles was a week or so ago ... no announcement at all. And most of the feedback ... that Cynda kindly linked to ... is negative."

I haven't even noticed, but I guess it's because I so rarely look at profile pages...

message 14: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7456 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "The change on the profiles was a week or so ago ... no announcement at all. And most of the feedback ... that Cynda kindly linked to ... is negative."

I haven't even noticed..."

I look if someone sends me a friend request and I'm not sure how I know them--I prefer to either actually know them from a group OR have something in common with them that's obvious, such as similar reading interests or other things.

message 15: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9049 comments Karin wrote: "I look if someone sends me a friend request and I'm not sure how I know them--I prefer to either actually know them from a group OR have something in common with them that's obvious, such as similar reading interests or other things.
I h..."

That makes sense!

What I have noticed the past few days is when I click to read the unread messages in a thread, it now goes just a cm or two past where the first unread message starts, so I have to scroll back just a touch. Driving me a little nuts!

message 16: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Yes, the unread message issue/feature started when they decided to make the search box huge and creat a second band at the top with home/my books/browse/ community.

message 17: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) Karin wrote: "LibraryCin wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "The change on the profiles was a week or so ago ... no announcement at all. And most of the feedback ... that Cynda kindly linked to ... is negative."

I h..."

I have been getting a bunch of those recently. I usually select ignore. I figured out how to block on the last request. It won't really help unless it isnthe same person. One time I know was the same person. I think they got the message when I answered "no."

message 18: by Karin (last edited Jun 17, 2018 12:25PM) (new)

Karin | 7456 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Karin wrote: "I look if someone sends me a friend request and I'm not sure how I know them--I prefer to either actually know them from a group OR have something in common with them that's obvious, ..."

Yes, same here!