Mount TBR 2018 discussion

Buddy Reads > Don Quixote **START DATE JULY 1**

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by July (new)

July | 120 comments Thank you to everyone still with me on my HEAVY READS 2018.

Our next book will be Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes.

We had some great discussion about Jane Eyre, it was a joy to read it with all of you, I'm hoping for the same with this one!

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 102 comments Looking forward to this- Have dug out my copy. Are you reading in sections/instalments or all of it together?

message 3: by July (new)

July | 120 comments We'll read at our own pace and discuss as we go. We can continue the discussion as long as it takes for everyone to finish, just let the group know if there are spoilers coming in your comments.

I read really fast, depending on how much I like what I'm reading, so I'll try to facilitate the discussion as best I can, but anyone can chime in at any time.

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 102 comments Ok- great. Looking forward to starting off then--I'll probably start with one book (50-ish pages) at a sitting and see how it goes in terms of pace.

message 5: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) If I'm done with TA Tale of Two Cities by July 1, I'll join in. Otherwise, I might take a much-needed break from classics!!

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) I'm really looking forward to this! I read at a glacial pace, but I also don't mind seeing spoilers.

message 7: by July (new)

July | 120 comments Than you all for joining me! My personal rule is 200 pages before I tap out, so if the read is too much, you don't have to finish, at whatever point that is for you.

message 8: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) I've started reading the scholarly essays by people like Mario Vargas Llosa that are in the front of my book (There are five of them, and I'm on the third). I was hoping to start the actual novel (prologue) tomorrow, but it might be Wednesday or so ...

Anyway, I've been having trouble with my Chromebook, so if I don't post for a week or so, I'll be sure to check in with my progress when I can get to the library (or buy a new laptop or something).

message 9: by July (new)

July | 120 comments Hi Everyone! I'll be starting a bit late too. I've enrolled in a new class and I've been working on all the preliminary studying before the coruse begins... but never fear! I will start Don Quixote by next week!

Please, don't let my late start prevent you from starting any discussions.

message 10: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) I finished Tale of Two Cities on Saturday, so I'll join in on Don Quixote. I started the audiobook today.

message 11: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 102 comments 'll be starting in a couple of days and should be ready to join in by the weekend or early next week

message 12: by Marjolein (new)

Marjolein (Captain Bookamir) (captainbookamir) | 12 comments Just remembered that July meant Don Quixote! I'm still in the middle of River of Blue Fire (book 2 in the Otherland series) so I might finish that first. But if I haven't finished it by the end of the week, I'll definitely start DQ by the end of the week.

message 13: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) Margaret wrote: "I've started reading the scholarly essays by people like Mario Vargas Llosa that are in the front of my book (There are five of them, and I'm on the third). I was hoping to start the actual novel (..."

Having just started chapter 1, it looks like my pace is going to be around 4 or 5 pages per day. I probably won't be finishing Pike's Peak this year!

Cervantes' turns of phrase made me laugh aloud twice in the prologue when his friend was convincing him to make up dedications and he ended up using "sonnets" from book characters. I especially enjoyed the dialogue between Babieca and Rocinante (I read El Cid last year; wish I had time to read some of the others such as Amadis de Gaula.)

I'm reading it in Spanish, and have to look up at least half a dozen words in my son's old fine-print University of Chicago Spanish-English dictionary for every page. Some of the words are so specialized or archaic that the dictionary doesn't have them. I may either buy a larger dictionary or start reading next to my computer so I can look up the meanings online.

I don't want to give up this time -- as the years go by I forget more and more of my college Spanish, so it will just get harder.

message 14: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 102 comments Margaret wrote: "I don't want to give up this time --..."
I'm not reading in Spanish like you, of course, but I'm determined to read it this time as well--its been on my TBR for 5+ years now.

message 15: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) @Margaret - Awesome job reading in Spanish, that's quite an accomplishment!

I'm listening to the audiobook, and the voice actor really keeps the piece interesting. I'm only about 20% in still, but enjoying it much more than A Tale of Two Cities and Moby Dick, other classics that I've read this year.

message 16: by July (new)

July | 120 comments Just started it! I'm a little disappointed that the sonnets are not properly arranged. The line breaks don't seem to be where the poet intended... ah, reading on a digital platform!

message 17: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) Jessika wrote: "@Margaret - Awesome job reading in Spanish, that's quite an accomplishment"

Thanks, Jessika -- but today I gave in and checked out a copy of the English translation from the library. I'm still reading the Spanish edition (it was a gift) but since my dictionary was so inadequate, I'm going to refer to this Tobias Smollett translation whenever I get stuck!

message 18: by July (new)

July | 120 comments I'm about three or four chapters in. To think reading day and night could make you loose your mind!

Well, I've got some things to do before setting out on my quest of knighthood...

message 19: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) I'm on Ch 31, getting back to it today after taking a week long break to read other things. I am continually surprised by the amount of humor!

How's it going for everyone else?

message 20: by Marjolein (new)

Marjolein (Captain Bookamir) (captainbookamir) | 12 comments It's not going nearly so quickly, but currently I'm only reading it during my lunch break. I've been reading a lot of other stuff in the meantime.

I'm currently on chapter 11. The humor's great, isn't it? Miguel really is a sly sort of satirist, I get the impression.

So, tell me people, am I running behind or not the only one being a slowpoke? :p

message 21: by July (new)

July | 120 comments I'm only about Ch 5. Summer gardening has taken over, along with a new series of classes, and well, work, home, kids...

I don't think I've picked up ANY book in over a week =(

message 22: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) July wrote: "I'm only about Ch 5. Summer gardening has taken over, along with a new series of classes, and well, work, home, kids...

I don't think I've picked up ANY book in over a week =("

Same here!

message 23: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 102 comments I am not too far in either but reading a few pages whenever I get a chance. Quite fun so far, and a little crazy too. It's interesting how others easily understand his situation and play along--not something that one would come across as often in real life.

message 24: by Marjolein (new)

Marjolein (Captain Bookamir) (captainbookamir) | 12 comments Yes, I noticed that too! So many people going "Ok, well, he's clearly insane. Let's just keep him happy and get him out of here as quickly and peacefully as possible"

message 25: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) I just picked up the newest translation but probably won't start it till the middle or end of August, after I finish Lonesome Dove. I would like to join in on the discussion. DQ is one of my husband's favorite books. He's been bugging me to read it for years!

message 26: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 102 comments Pam wrote: "I just picked up the newest translation but probably won't start it till the middle or end of August, after I finish Lonesome Dove. I would like to join in on the discussion. DQ is one of my husban..."

I'll be continuing on August as well-didn't manage to read too much of the book this month because of other commitments.

message 27: by Margaret (last edited Aug 05, 2018 09:22AM) (new)

Margaret (igem36) Lady Clementina wrote: "Pam wrote: "I just picked up the newest translation but probably won't start it till the middle or end of August, after I finish Lonesome Dove. I would like to join in on the discussion. DQ is one ..."

Me three (I'm on chapter X) (Pssst. Don't want to discourage anyone new, but I'm not liking it much. I chose to read it because two important men in my life say it was a life-changer for them. The violence in it has bothered me [even though it's supposed to be funny]. And another edit: Sancho Panza's pithy observations are the book's saving grace for me. At least he called Don Quixote out for brutally attacking a totally innocent traveler in the chapter I just finished.)

message 28: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 102 comments Margaret wrote: "Lady Clementina wrote: "Pam wrote: "I just picked up the newest translation but probably won't start it till the middle or end of August, after I finish Lonesome Dove. I would like to join in on th..."

:)

message 29: by July (new)

July | 120 comments Pam wrote: "I just picked up the newest translation but probably won't start it till the middle or end of August, after I finish Lonesome Dove. I would like to join in on the discussion. DQ is one of my husban..."

I Loved LONESOME DOVE. Join when you can... we seem to be moving slowly on DQ, I know I've not made much progress. Maybe 100 pages into it.

message 30: by Marjolein (new)

Marjolein (Captain Bookamir) (captainbookamir) | 12 comments Yeah, I'm also continuing into August. I think I'm on like chapter 14 or 15 now?

message 31: by Jessika (last edited Aug 07, 2018 12:36PM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Woohoo, I finished Don Quixote today!!! I enjoyed it more than Moby Dick and A Tale of Two Cities.

If you are struggling, I would suggest listening to an audiobook version. The one I listened to was narrated by Roy McMillan, who was a decent voice actor, which helped break up the monotony. I also listened on 1.5x speed, which always helps me to power through the big reads.

Anyway, good luck to everyone, and I'll keep checking in on your progress!

message 32: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) Congratulations, Jessika!

message 33: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 102 comments Jessika wrote: "Woohoo, I finished Don Quixote today!!! I enjoyed it more than Moby Dick and A Tale of Two Cities.

If you are struggling, I would suggest listening to an audiobook version. The one I listened to w..."

Congratulations! I am still in book 2. Not struggling but too many other commitments :)

message 34: by July (new)

July | 120 comments I think, I'm going to stop torturing myself trying to read DQ... I just can't get into it. =( Please, if it gets better after Ch 13, let me know, because I'm just not enjoying it, and there are too many other books on my list to keep languishing here.

message 35: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) July - Which edition were you reading? I looked at 3-4 different ones and decided on the newest translation, which seems more readable (modern language). I still haven’t started it!

message 36: by July (new)

July | 120 comments August 16- I officially DNF Don Quixote-- I just couldn't. *walks away, head hung down... reading something else*

message 37: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) July wrote: "I think, I'm going to stop torturing myself trying to read DQ... I just can't get into it. =( Please, if it gets better after Ch 13, let me know, because I'm just not enjoying it, and there are too..."

I'm nearly finished with Ch. 14, and I've felt like the book was gradually getting better. I loved Ch. 13, though, with the vignette about King Arthur.