Art Lovers discussion

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Jun 19, 2018 07:26AM) (new)

Heather | 8545 comments So some of us aren't as well versed in the individual lives of artists. Whouldn't this be something interesting to add to our 'gee whiz' collection?

Pick an artist of your choice, perhaps one less well known, and who you think had an interesting life or experience that you would like to share. Don't name who you are talking about, nor any obvious clues (i.e. names of artworks, art movement, time period, etc).

Let us guess who you are talking about.
AND, when you guess, see if you can find out more information on that artist to add to our cranial trivia!

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments Alright, we have three artists still to be named. I gave additional clues to all three, one of which should basically give it away!

Come on, Geoffrey, You know your artists! (As do many of you, he has just guessed the most)

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments So far, here are our winners!

Geoffrey named Khalo, Leger, and Camille Claudel

Ruth got Frank Lloyd Wright and Munch

Judi scored on Helen Frankenthaler

Way to go team!

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments Just curious, does anyone find this interesting to learn more about the biography of different artists? I am learning a lot!

message 5: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments I love learning more about an artist's biography. It's just interesting and often getting more of a grip on the day to day of a a person's life makes it easier to access the art/

message 6: by Judi (new)

Judi (jvaughn) | 59 comments I totally agree...I love getting to know artists as people with great times and bad times, just like the rest of us. So, keep it up!

message 7: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments And I like reading biographies in general. Finishing up with "Picasso and the Painting that Changed the World" by Miles Unger. Just goes up to 1907 and the Desmoiselles but I like the focus on the very young Picasso and the cultural setting in Paris from 1900 on.

message 8: by Judi (new)

Judi (jvaughn) | 59 comments Thank you for the suggestion. I am a faculty librarian and as most librarians, I love to read! :-)

(I'm finding a title that ends ...that shocked the world) Is that the one?

message 9: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments Yep. I have some issues with it. Whenever a general nonfiction writer produces something for the general audience, errors of implication and unsupported imaginings tend to creep in. But I think it's pretty good.

Very fond of librarians, I am. They are among the most admirable of people.

message 10: by Judi (new)

Judi (jvaughn) | 59 comments Thank you. We try to be :-)
Right now my goal is to teach everyone to research current issues in America, instead of just taking the news media, the tweets and your nextdoor neighbors opinion as your own! Where is CRITICAL THINKING when we need it so badly.

message 11: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments Damned if I know. I admit to blue coloration but I constantly challenge those on my side to explain more extreme positions and provide documentation for their "facts." Then I tell them to assess the reliability of the source of their facts.

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark André I don't care much for biographies of artists, composers, or authors. I find them sort of dull. Most of their lives seem to be spent in the studio, or the office, or the workshop. Mostly invisible. The rest of the time they spend trying to cope with those aspects of life that are not art. - )

message 13: by Judi (new)

Judi (jvaughn) | 59 comments I was brought up on the east coast (New Hampshire) and my home was very conservative. I'm not completely one or the other, although these days I'm leaning toward the liberal side. But both sides need to think about others and compromise! We look like idiots to the world. I'm so glad that I can escape into any time and place with a book.

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments I totally agree! In fact, and I hardly ever post on Facebook, but I wrote “today’s democracy is looking more like idiocracy!”

message 15: by Mark (new)

Mark André I prefer to call it a nutocracy! - )

message 16: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments Mark wrote: "I prefer to call it a nutocracy! - )"

I'd like to be part of that!

message 17: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments Mark wrote: "I don't care much for biographies of artists, composers, or authors. I find them sort of dull. Most of their lives seem to be spent in the studio, or the office, or the workshop. Mostly invisible. ..."

True enough. But some biographers are particularly deft at that kind of writing and produce compelling narratives. And for me, learning about the tapestry that is a life, both the creative work and the ups and downs of simply being a person in the world is very satisfying.

message 18: by Mark (new)

Mark André Ellen wrote: "Mark wrote: "I prefer to call it a nutocracy! - )"

I'd like to be part of that!"

Thank you, Ellen! - )

message 19: by Mark (new)

Mark André Ellen wrote: "Mark wrote: "I don't care much for biographies of artists, composers, or authors. I find them sort of dull. Most of their lives seem to be spent in the studio, or the office, or the workshop. Mostl..."
I'm sure there are good biographies of famous artists. I just prefer the work over the life. Joyce, Beethoven and Van Goth: they did great art but didn't have much fun. - )

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments I really appreciate the positive feedback on this folder. Thank you! I know I enjoy reading about the different artist’s lives!

message 21: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments Wow! This group knows some of your biographies pretty well! Or at least traits and clues related to their works...

So far just this month, you have guessed correctly 18 artists! I had no idea we had done that many! And I am learning a whole lot!

Hope you are, too! If you have any comments or suggestions for me, let me know--here or PM. Or, if there is an artist you would like to present this way, go for it, or PM me and I'll post his or her biography details.

This is awesome; Way to go!

message 22: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments So there is still one artist whom I posted in early July who hasn't been guessed yet. And only Geoffrey has tried.

I gave more clues...come on and guess! If you don't get it by the clues I gave, I will disclose it.

"Am I Deceased Yet?"