What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Started Early, Took My Dog (Jackson Brodie, #4)
This topic is about Started Early, Took My Dog
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Mystery where a female officer/detective makes a rash decision to give money to a woman who is abusive with a child, and takes the child home with her even though she knows it's not a wise thing to do. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ericka B | 4 comments I must have read the book about 7 years ago or so, although I can't be certain. I think it was a British mystery but I could be wrong as I was reading a lot of other British mysteries at the time.

Ericka B | 4 comments The main character sees the child being yanked along by the woman (can't remember if it was the mother, grandmother...) and without thinking offers money for the child.

Kris | 36622 comments Mod
This sounds familiar... Do any of the following match your book?

- British psychological thriller or mystery?
- The policewoman and the child is a subplot?
- The woman buying the child is witnessed by an aging actress with memory problems/dementia who gets easily confused?

Ericka B | 4 comments I wish I had a better memory of this, but the actress doesn't sound familiar to me. I'm a little hazy on the other points. I thought it was the main plot until you asked that question, and now I'm not sure! The only thing I remember is that the woman sees the child being yanked around, the mother (I think it's the mother) may have some issues, and agrees when the woman offers her money for the child. Possible they're near a bus stop when this is happening...??

message 5: by Kris (last edited Jun 13, 2018 02:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maybe near a tube/subway station...that the policewoman has just exited?

Fiona H | 23 comments It sounds like "Started Early, Took My Dog", by Kate Atkinson, in her wonderful Jackson Brodie private detective series. Cop-turned-security guard Tracy Waterhouse pays for a child called Courtney from her awful mother, witnessed by both an aging actress called Tilly and Jackson, and passes her off as her own. Terrific book.

Here's the link for Fiona's suggestion - Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson. Yes, that's the book I was thinking of! (We'll see if it matches Ericka's book.) I was trying to remember...one of those British mysteries with the multiple twisting threads...which makes it difficult to remember and describe... something like Kate Atkinson would write and so many others have tried to copy... Love her books, by the way, especially Life After Life.

Ericka B | 4 comments yes!!! I hadn't remembered the actress but that is definitely it - thank you!