LITTLE BOOK CLUB discussion

Mini Book Clubs & Liveshows > Dracula Read-a-Long!

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randa (new)

Randa Okay guys here we go! Quite a few of you are interested in a "classics" read-a-long, so we are starting in August with Dracula by Bram Stoker! Use this thread to post any thoughts or questions about the book, just make sure to use a disclaimer for spoilers. Have fun everybody!

message 2: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinen) Randa wrote: "Okay guys here we go! Quite a few of you are interested in a "classics" read-a-long, so we are starting in August with Dracula by Bram Stoker! Use this thread to post any thoughts or questions abou..."

Just curious is it a read at our own pace or are we going to have like weekly discussions up to certain parts?

message 3: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Satchwell I'm on chapter 3! So far very nteresting. Creepy and just goooooooood!

message 4: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (nathalief92) | 8 comments I'm excited to read this, will hopefully start in the next few days! My local libraries didn't have a copy and I know I have it on my kindle I just need to unearth it's charger haha

message 5: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (nathalief92) | 8 comments Its charger* autocorrect haha :/

message 6: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Satchwell There are 27 chapters and i'm on chapter 6. I'm reading via e-book and I'm having a hard tie using the bookmark. So i'm just going chapter by chapter and not stopping in between.

message 7: by Randa (new)

Randa Justine wrote: "Randa wrote: "Okay guys here we go! Quite a few of you are interested in a "classics" read-a-long, so we are starting in August with Dracula by Bram Stoker! Use this thread to post any thoughts or ..."

Just read at your own pace, no pressure! Towards the end if the month we can talk more in depth about it, but for now just take your time :)

message 8: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinen) Randa wrote: "Justine wrote: "Randa wrote: "Okay guys here we go! Quite a few of you are interested in a "classics" read-a-long, so we are starting in August with Dracula by Bram Stoker! Use this thread to post ..."

Perfect! Thanks :)

message 9: by Randa (new)

Randa I didn't expect this to be as creepy as it is! Damn, Dracula is a weirdo. But I love scary books and definitely don't read enough of them so I'm loving this so far!

message 10: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Satchwell I thought Van Helsing would be more straight forward about vampires.

From the movies I kind of expect Van Helsing to be an exclusive vampire expert. Not a Medical Professor.

message 11: by Nicole (last edited Aug 03, 2014 01:33AM) (new)

Nicole (lunakaos) The movie was an affront to the book, good for it's own merit but shouldn't be compared to the book.

message 12: by Doppelganger (new)

Doppelganger | 56 comments The first chapter gives of such a nice sense of impending doom. :)
Only a few pages in this seems like a nice read.

message 13: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Satchwell I never Heard of the Bloofer Lady! Mind blown, Van Helsing is a little off. Only crazy people laugh and cry inappropriately.

message 14: by Randa (new)

Randa I'm 10 chapters in and loving it! I appreciate that everything is first person so you are just as creeped out as they are.

message 15: by Lorna (last edited Aug 05, 2014 07:36PM) (new)

Lorna Satchwell Okay, I'm on chapter 23. Things that make me a little upset is how these men can be so dumb!!

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Satchwell Randa wrote: "I'm 10 chapters in and loving it! I appreciate that everything is first person so you are just as creeped out as they are."

What do you think of the bloofer lady? Have you ever heard of her before reading Dracula?

message 17: by Lorna (last edited Aug 05, 2014 07:36PM) (new)

Lorna Satchwell I finished the book.

Questions:
(view spoiler)

message 18: by Randa (new)

Randa Make sure you guys are hiding your spoilers please! :)

message 19: by Sasha (new)

Sasha | 1 comments I just finished this book. I started it last month actually and it took me forever to read but it was very interesting and I enjoyed it.

message 20: by Randa (new)

Randa Sasha wrote: "I just finished this book. I started it last month actually and it took me forever to read but it was very interesting and I enjoyed it."

It takes me a long time to read a classic too, they usually aren't something you can fly through, but that's okay. I'm glad you liked Dracula, I'm about half way through and am really enjoying it!

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (lunakaos) Lorna wrote: "Randa wrote: "I'm 10 chapters in and loving it! I appreciate that everything is first person so you are just as creeped out as they are."

What do you think of the bloofer lady? Have you ever heard..."

It's just the way the children say Beautiful Lady. Or at least the first child, and the name just sort of stuck.

message 22: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Satchwell Nicole wrote: "Lorna wrote: "Randa wrote: "I'm 10 chapters in and loving it! I appreciate that everything is first person so you are just as creeped out as they are."

What do you think of the bloofer lady? Have ..."

I thought that at first until i remembered the beginning of the book when it mentioned blue fire. Maybe the children are trying to say she's the "blue fire lady."

message 23: by Lorna (last edited Aug 05, 2014 07:37PM) (new)

Lorna Satchwell I finished the book yesterday and there are things you won't understand until you finish and think back. Also there are many loose ends in the story.

Making other Nosferatu stories possible.

(view spoiler)

message 24: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Satchwell How do you hide spoilers?

message 25: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (lunakaos) If you do to a review it has the codes to put on either side of a spoiler to hide it. I can't copy and past it here because it will just pop up with (view spoiler)

message 26: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Satchwell Nicole wrote: "If you do to a review it has the codes to put on either side of a spoiler to hide it. I can't copy and past it here because it will just pop up with [spoilers removed]"

Thanks! I was completely clueless. WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN

message 27: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Satchwell Is there going to be a live show discussion of this book?

message 28: by Randa (new)

Randa I guess I'm a little confused on what Nosferatu means exactly. Can anyone clarify for me?

message 29: by Randa (new)

Randa Lorna wrote: "Okay, I'm on chapter 23. Things that make me a little upset is how these men can be so dumb!!

Like why isn't it obvious to keep Wilhelmina involved? She's the one with the most leads aside from ..."

I was wondering why nobody was really helping Mina also. At first it might not have been obvious the same thing was happening to her that happened with Lucy, but jeez help a girl out! And it seemed like they valued Mina even more, but they just used her for her visions instead. And Dracula's official home is Transylvania, so even though they only spent a brief amount of time there, that's where the legend will always remain.

message 30: by Lorna (new)

Lorna Satchwell Randa wrote: "Lorna wrote: "Okay, I'm on chapter 23. Things that make me a little upset is how these men can be so dumb!!

Like why isn't it obvious to keep Wilhelmina involved? She's the one with the most lea..."

Yea towards the end Van helsing made it clear that Dracula lived in Transylvania before he became an undead.

Do you think Dracula accidentally turned Lucy by mistaking her for Mina? Also do you think "Bloofer lady" is childs talk for "Blue Fire lady"?

message 31: by Randa (new)

Randa Lorna wrote: "Randa wrote: "Lorna wrote: "Okay, I'm on chapter 23. Things that make me a little upset is how these men can be so dumb!!

Like why isn't it obvious to keep Wilhelmina involved? She's the one wit..."

It could, but I take it as "beautiful lady". I think it's open for interpretation. I don't know why Dracula wanted Lucy so much expect maybe because she was an easy target. But I also think Dracula loved to turn beautiful women into the undead, because at the beginning there were three beautiful vampires in the castle with him that I'm sure he created.

message 32: by Randa (last edited Aug 15, 2014 08:57PM) (new)

Randa As for next month's classic, Would you guys prefer to read Wuthering Heights or Romeo and Juliet?

message 33: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinen) Wuthering Heights because I have a copy hahaha

message 34: by Doppelganger (new)

Doppelganger | 56 comments Wuthering Heights.

I read Romeo and Juliet this year so something new would be nice.

message 35: by Randa (new)

Randa I want to read Wuthering Heights too, so let's plan on that! PadfootandProngs07 has me crazing some Shakespeare so I can just read that on my own.

message 36: by Randa (new)

Randa Doppelganger wrote: "Wuthering Heights.

I read Romeo and Juliet this year so something new would be nice."

What did you think of Dracula?