SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic, #3)
This topic is about A Conjuring of Light
What Else Are You Reading? > "A Conjuring of Light" by V.E. Schwab

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

David | 5 comments Hey everyone!

I just discovered buddy reads, and I really like the concept. I'm about 130 pages into A Conjuring of Light" and wondered if anyone's in it, too. I'm going to keep pressing forward, but would love to chat with anyone.

I felt Book 2 of this series was really slow and focused too much on shallow character development. It really came across as a prologue to Book 3.

So far in Book 3, loving it! The tension, the pacing, all strong!

Mason (mason_gatti) | 193 comments Hey David, I was just browsing and saw this post. Have you tried posting on The Buddy Read Recruitment thread? Good spot to get others to join and for you to join in on other BRs.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I still have to read book 1 of this series on my TBR, although, Tor did just make it the free book of the month so maybe I will start it soon.

message 3: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon (last edited Jun 12, 2018 01:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments I read these books recently. (Tried to get a Buddy Read going, but no one seemed interested.)

I agree that book 2 was very slow and mostly set-up. The games were pointless, and really just serving to get everyone in the same place.

Book 3 started with a bang, but I was slightly disappointed in then veered into somewhat typical "quest for the McGuffin" territory. I did enjoy it, overall, though - and it was a marked improvement over Book 2.

My review ended up saying I feel like it could've been a duology instead of a trilogy, though, if they spread out the information and pacing better, and cut out a lot of the dross in Book 2.

message 4: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 657 comments I am torn about starting this one. I enjoyed the first one, but was so annoyed at the second one I swore I was done with the series. It's good to hear it gets better in book 3, I might try to pick it up again at some point, but I've got a bit too much on my plate right now.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments Ariana wrote: "I am torn about starting this one. I enjoyed the first one, but was so annoyed at the second one I swore I was done with the series. It's good to hear it gets better in book 3, I might try to pick ..."

I gave book 2 2-stars because of its irritation factor, and hating Lilah, but gave book 3 4-stars.

message 6: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 657 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "I gave book 2 2-stars because of its irritation factor, and hating Lilah, but gave book 3 4-stars."

Awesome, this is great to know. Thanks!