Read 100+ Books in 2014 discussion

August challenge

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 78 comments Mod
Wow! Only another month and the children will be going back to school. I've done a lot of reading in July. That's all I want to do--read. Now on to August's challenges.

1. Read a book whose author's name starts with T.
2. Read a book whose title starts with T.
3. Read a book by an author who does not live in your country.
4. Read a book someone loaned to you.
5. Read an historical book.
6. Read a book with a color in the title.
7. Read a book about the Middle East.
8. Read a book about a place you want to visit but haven't yet visited.
9. Your choice.

message 2: by Chuck (last edited Aug 04, 2014 04:54AM) (new)

Chuck | 98 comments Yes it's August already and getting ready for another camping trip before going back to school. My August's challenges.

"Learning to Dance in the Rain" by Melanie Bennett
9. Your choice.
"The Martian" by Andy Weir

message 3: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 98 comments Now reading "The Martian" by Andy Weir - This is his first novel.

"Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first men to walk on the surface of Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first man to die there.

It started with the dust storm that holed his suit and nearly killed him, and that forced his crew to leave him behind, sure he was already dead. Now he's stranded millions of miles from the nearest human being, with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive--and even if he could get word out, his food would be gone years before a rescue mission could arrive. Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to get him first."

message 4: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 63 comments So it took me a long time to finish it but I finally finished "The Source of my Strength" by Charles Stanley. Good book if you need some peace of mind and healing. It is written just like he preaches. So my next book is "The Maze Runner" which was loaned to me by a coworker. It looks interesting. If anyone wants an interesting read on the Middle East, I would suggest "The Almond Tree".

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1) by Terry Goodkind Terry Goodkind 8-7-14
This was a brilliant fantasy novel. It is written very well, and the characters are well developed and are interesting. The plot was exciting and full of surprises.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1) by Laura Ingalls Wilder 8-8-14
Good historical children's book.

message 7: by Chuck (last edited Aug 10, 2014 05:18AM) (new)

Chuck | 98 comments My August's challenges,

"Learning to Dance in the Rain" by Melanie Bennett
"The Left Hand of Darkness" by Ursula Le Guin "Darkness" is a color, right?
9. Your choice.
"The Martian" by Andy Weir

message 8: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 63 comments So I finished "The Maze Runner" which was loaned to me by a coworker. It is another teen end of the world disaster movie. It was good. The action was fast paced and I liked some of the characters a lot. Of course the book started a trilogy so off again. Next up "The Children of the Jedi".

message 9: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 63 comments So I finished "Children of the Jedi" and loved it. I love all the Star Wars books with the original characters. It was a great fast paced summer read. Up next "The Scorch Trials". So far it is also good.

message 10: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 78 comments Mod
I was at Authors After Dark conference this past weekend and I'm still trying to get caught up but I have been doing some reading.

message 11: by Sheila (last edited Aug 30, 2014 04:44AM) (new)

Sheila | 78 comments Mod
Here's my August list:

7/9, 15 books
1. Read a book whose author's name starts with T--The Father and the Bridesmaids by T. Lee Alexis--finished 8/17/14.
2. Read a book whose title starts with T--The Trinity Game by Sean Chercover--finished 8/24/14.
3. Read a book by an author who does not live in your country--The Sound of Things Falling by Juan Gabriel Vasquez--finished 8/21/14.
5. Read an historical book--The Secrets of a Scoundrel by Gaelen Foley--finished 8/7/14.
6. Read a book with a color in the title--The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion--finished 8/29/14.
8. Read a book about a place you want to visit but haven't yet visited--Sweet Filthy Boy by Christina Lauren--finished 8/3/14.
9. Your choice--Illusion by Sahara Kelly--finished 8/8/14.

Destruction by Sahara Kelly--finished 8/11/14
Perversion by Sahara Kelly--finished 8/13/14
You Burn Me by Stella and Audra Price--finished 8/15/14
Willow Smoke by Adriana Kraft--finished 8/17/14
Dating a Cougar by Donna McDonald--finished 8/19/14
Suddenly Beautiful by Boone Brux--finished 8/25/14
Taken by the Duke by Jess Michaels--finished 8/26/14
Crooked Fang by Carrie Clevenger--finished 8/28/14

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Little House on the Prairie 8-10-14
On the Banks of Plum Creek8-11-14
By the Shores of Silver Lake 8-11-14
The Long Winter 8-13-14
Little Town on the Prairie8-13-14
These Happy Golden Years 8-14-14
The First Four Years 8-15-14

These are good historical children's books.

Stone of Tears 8-20-14
This was a brilliant fantasy novel. It is written very well, and the characters are well developed and are interesting. The plot was exciting and full of surprises.

Insurgent 8-21-14
This was a brilliant novel. I loved the characters, and the plot was exciting and went in unexpected directions.

message 13: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Mertens | 63 comments I just finished "The Desperate Mission" from the Last Jedi Star Wars series. It is a really good book for early to middle readers. It lets you see some of what happens to Obi-Wan between movies 3 & 4. Good fun summer read.

message 14: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 78 comments Mod
All I have wanted to do recently read. I have read more in this past week. Haven't wanted to watch TV or be on the computer. I have to buckle down and, at least, get my reviews posted on what I've read.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Allegiant-Veronica Roth 8-24-14
This was a brilliant novel. I loved the characters, and the plot was exciting and went in unexpected directions.
A Charles Dickens Devotional-Jean Fisher 8-24-14
Beezus and Ramona-Beverly Cleary 8-25-14
Ramona the Pest-Beverly Cleary 8-25-14
Ramona the Brave-Beverly Cleary 8-25-14
Ramona and Her Father-Beverly Cleary 8-25-14
Ramona and Her Mother-Beverly Cleary 8-26-14
Ramona Quimby, Age 8-Beverly Cleary 8-26-14
Ramona Forever-Beverly Cleary 8-26-14
Ramona's World-Beverly Cleary 8-26-14
Maid to Match-Deeanne Gist 8-27-14
I really enjoyed this Christian romance novel. It was written well, and it had some truly interesting plot elements. I also really liked the characters, especially the main ones and their journeys of development.
Beautiful Creatures-Kami Garcia 8-30-14
I really loved this YA fantasy novel. It is written very well, and the characters are well developed. I also truly enjoyed the different surprises the plot lines revealed.
Before the Scarlet Dawn-Rita Gerlach 8-31-14
This was an entertaining Christian historical novel. The characters are interesting, and the plot dealt with several interesting dilemmas. However, I could not understand why the woman was so in love with this arrogant man who did not love her at all, and I could not tolerate his actions once he learned of her sin against him.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Now on to August's challenges.

1. Read a book whose author's name starts with T. N/A
2. Read a book whose title starts with T. N/A
3. Read a book by an author who does not live in your country. N/A
4. Read a book someone loaned to you. N/A
5. Read an historical book. Little House in the Big Woods-Laura Ingalls Wilder 8-8-14
6. Read a book with a color in the title. Before the Scarlet Dawn-Rita Gerlach 8-31-14
7. Read a book about the Middle East. N/A
8. Read a book about a place you want to visit but haven't yet visited. Beautiful Creatures-Kami Garcia 8-30-14 (I mean South Carolina-Charleston most likely rather than Gatlin if it's a real town)
9. Your choice. Little House on the Prairie-Laura Ingalls Wilder 8-10-14
On the Banks of Plum Creek- Laura Ingalls Wilder 8-11-14
By the Shores of Silver Lake- Laura Ingalls Wilder 8-11-14
The Long Winter- Laura Ingalls Wilder 8-13-14
Little Town on the Prairie- Laura Ingalls Wilder 8-13-14
These Happy Golden Years- Laura Ingalls Wilder 8-14-14
The First Four Years- Laura Ingalls Wilder 8-15-14
Stone of Tears-Terry Goodkind 8-20-14
Insurgent-Veronica Roth 8-21-14
Allegiant-Veronica Roth 8-24-14
A Charles Dickens Devotional-Jean Fisher 8-24-14
Beezus and Ramona-Beverly Cleary 8-25-14