Support for Indie Authors discussion

Physical Book Publishing > Help KDP Print Too Dark

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.M. (new)

S.M. McCoy (steviemccoy) | 4 comments Hi Friends and Fellow Authors!

Does anyone else have the problem of their printed proof copies coming out too dark? The cover looks near black, when it's supposed to be purple and lots of wonderful foliage detail. Have you had this issue with translation from screen to print with KDP?

What was your solution.?

My first try to remedy this before production will be to change the brightness by 30% and see if that fixes it... but trial and error can get expensive when they charge $5.99 shipping each time, plus the cost of your book, so it can get expensive for the proof copies.

I currently use Photoshop and it looks perfect on my screen, but way too dark in print. I want people to feel happy to have the print in their hands, and not disappointed that the details are gone because the print is too dark.

Thank you team!

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Dickason (anitadickason) | 65 comments Did you convert to CMYK, and submit as a photoshop PDF?

message 3: by S.M. (new)

S.M. McCoy (steviemccoy) | 4 comments Anita wrote: "Did you convert to CMYK, and submit as a photoshop PDF?"

Yup I sure did, it was converted to CMYK and it was Photoshop PDF. It looks perfect on my screen, but comes out WAY too dark in print. If I don't have any suggestions from the team, then I'll try to add 30% brightness to see if that fixes it.

message 4: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 405 comments I recently had the same problem. Online research suggests it’s a common issue. I just lightened the file. My second proof was perfect.

message 5: by S.M. (new)

S.M. McCoy (steviemccoy) | 4 comments Phillip wrote: "I recently had the same problem. Online research suggests it’s a common issue. I just lightened the file. My second proof was perfect."

How much did you brighten it by?