What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Impact: Short Stories for Pleasure
This topic is about Impact
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Short story from 60’s or 70’s family driving in highway traffic jam... Spoiler ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mrfezziwig (new)

Mrfezziwig | 7 comments I read this short story in early 70’s. A family is driving in a highway and the parents are bickering. They end up in a traffic jam that they can’t get out of; no exits all of a sudden. Then they realize everyone is stuck and they are all headed to something that’s burning; I.e. hell.
I read this in English class with a lot of famous short stories- The Necklace, Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge, Open Window. The only other contemporary story I remember was A&P. So i think this isn’t by an obscure author. It wasn’t in a book; it wa s kind of a binder where the teacher selected the stories she wanted and you put them in. Thank you!

message 2: by Mrfezziwig (new)

Mrfezziwig | 7 comments Still looking for this short story- thanks!

message 3: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments "The Jam" by Henry Slesar?

message 4: by Mrfezziwig (new)

Mrfezziwig | 7 comments No, that’s not it, but thank you for responding.

message 5: by AL (new)

AL Robbins | 1 comments Similar enough to warrant a mention, but I'm not sure is Flannery O'Connors "A Good Man is Hard to Find."

message 6: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Doesn’t really sound similar at all.

message 7: by Mrfezziwig (new)

Mrfezziwig | 7 comments Bump

message 8: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Gámez | 1 comments Ok I know this is not helpful but I found this post because I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS BOOK TOO! Every once ina while I think about it and google is no help at all. I'm just glad I am not crazy and didn't just imagine its existence. I really hope someone can come to the rescue!

message 9: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
I think the short story is Freeway to Wherever by Maurice Ogden. The only summary I can find for it is "A family finds themselves driving on a freeway without exits to an infernal destination."

It originally appeared in the Southwest Review, Summer 1959, and is included in the collection Impact: Short Stories for Pleasure.

If you have a JSTOR account (and if you don't you can sign up for a free account that lets you access 6 articles/month) you can read the story here: https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/4346...

message 10: by Mrfezziwig (new)

Mrfezziwig | 7 comments Oh my gosh, this is it. Thank you so much - it was driving me crazy!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Impact: Short Stories for Pleasure (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Henry Slesar (other topics)