Classic Trash discussion

The Lathe of Heaven
This topic is about The Lathe of Heaven
The Lathe of Heaven > The Lathe of Heaven: In progress (no spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adelaide Blair | 1016 comments Mod
This topic is for those who have not finished the book. No spoilers please!

So, I've read two other Le Guin novels in the past year (The Left Hand of Darkness and A Wizard of Earthsea) and found I liked her more with my head than my heart. I understood why the books were good, but I didn't like them all that much. I read a bunch of her stuff in my early 20s and LOVED them. Not so much at this period in my life. But that could change, and so far I am enjoying this book more than I did the other two.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 906 comments I know what you mean, Adelaide, about liking her more with your head than your heart. I really don't read much science fiction for this very reason. I need to connect with the characters and feel something (good or bad) for them, and much of SF is idea-based, not character-based.

I don't know if I'll have time to join in on the read this month, as I'll be very busy. I will be reading this book, though, some time in the future.

I read a lot of sci fi, and like any other genre, there are some folks I get into, and some folks I just don't. I'm not sure why Le Guin hasn't been doing it for me lately. I just can't muster any sympathy for her characters. We'll see if anything changes here.