What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Prisoner of Zenda (The Ruritania Trilogy, #2)
This topic is about The Prisoner of Zenda
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Classic fantasy about wizards, princes, spells and possibly a journey. [s]

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sabiha (last edited Jun 11, 2018 04:54AM) (new) - added it

Sabiha Younus (sabihayounus) | 20 comments This was possibly one of the books from the Penguin Popular Classics series, or the Penguin Classics series. It seemed to be a pretty old book and the setting possibly medieval. I don't remember much else, other than the fact that maybe the title was a one word name that started with a "Z". I came across it around 2012.

message 3: by SBC (new)

SBC (essbeecee) | 989 comments There are not many books beginning with Z and I can't think of any that would fit except maybe Zel, but that's probably too recent. Could it be something on this list?
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

In terms of older one word fantasy titles, Elidor came to mind.

Can you remember anything more about the princes/wizards, conflict in the story?

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 14 comments There are only two "Z" books in the Penguin Classics Library - Zazie in the Metro and Zadig. Neither of them are fantasy novels.

message 5: by Sabiha (new) - added it

Sabiha Younus (sabihayounus) | 20 comments SBC wrote: "There are not many books beginning with Z and I can't think of any that would fit except maybe Zel, but that's probably too recent. Could it be something on this list?
https://www.goo..."

No, and I checked the list as well and I can't seem to find it there either. I only picked the book up a few times in our school library and decided to read it later. That was a few years ago and now that I've graduated I can't remember anything other than what I've already put down. Maybe it's not a Z name or a one word name after all :( but it definitely seemed to be a classic. Either way, thank you so much for helping!

message 6: by Sabiha (new) - added it

Sabiha Younus (sabihayounus) | 20 comments Rebecca wrote: "There are only two "Z" books in the Penguin Classics Library - Zazie in the Metro and Zadig. Neither of them are fantasy novels."

Oh no :( Maybe I've gotten it wrong then. It might not be Z name or a one word name after all, or maybe it wasn't part of Penguin's series. But it was definitely fantasy and a classic. I wish I could remember more. Thanks for the help!

message 7: by Sabiha (new) - added it

Sabiha Younus (sabihayounus) | 20 comments ``Laurie wrote: "The Sword in the Stone by T.H. White maybe?"

No, I don't think that's it :( Thanks for trying to help though!

message 8: by SBC (new)

SBC (essbeecee) | 989 comments Have you looked at this classic fantasy list?
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

Maybe Magician?

Did it seem to be aimed at adults, young adults, or children?
Did you borrow it from a particular library or get it from a particular bookshop?

message 9: by Rene (new)

Rene Christensen | 6 comments Well lets see if we can get a few more memories unlocked, so maybe take a moment to consider each of these questions and hopefully at least one of the questions will bring something to mind :)

Anything more that has come to mind since you wrote the post (gotta ask even though its an annoying question)?

Since its possibly a classic was there any special weapons, enchanted rings, shields, wands etc. with a great degree of importance?

A female companion on the journey, assuming of course its a male lead?

Other special companions, possibly a pet dragon, hawk etc. ?

What kind of adventure was it, citybased or more roaming dungoneer?

What kind of adventurer is the hero? Swordfighter, mage, ranger, just a youth out for adventure, etc. ? Does he have a favorite wepon or combatstyle/ trick?

What kind of enemy does he face, is it a single main villain and his supporters, or is it a more varied cast of opponents who aren't necesarily evil?

message 10: by Sabiha (new) - added it

Sabiha Younus (sabihayounus) | 20 comments SBC wrote: "Have you looked at this classic fantasy list?

Maybe Magician?

D..."

No, I don't think it's that :( And it was just an old book in our school library. We live in a small town so not many bookstores around.

message 11: by Sabiha (new) - added it

Sabiha Younus (sabihayounus) | 20 comments Rene wrote: "Well lets see if we can get a few more memories unlocked, so maybe take a moment to consider each of these questions and hopefully at least one of the questions will bring something to mind :)

Any..."

I'm so sorry, but I really can't remember any of those things, though I've really been trying. But yes, it was definitely a male lead. Thank you for trying to help :(

message 12: by Sabiha (new) - added it

Sabiha Younus (sabihayounus) | 20 comments SBC wrote: "Have you looked at this classic fantasy list?

Maybe Magician?

D..."

And it was just one of those old suitable-for-all-ages-that-can-manage-to-read-this-and-understand-its-true-value-without-getting-bored type of classic, like Jane Austen or the Bronte sisters. I have gone through that list and none of the books strike me as the one. I'm starting to wonder if I dreamed the book up *laugh* but I clearly remember it. Maybe I didn't skim the list thoroughly enough ...

Thanks for helping!

message 13: by Vulco1 (new) - added it

Vulco1 | 29 comments Prisoner of Zenda?

message 14: by Debra (last edited Jun 21, 2018 06:40AM) (new)

Debra Firestone | 124 comments I'm wondering if this could help. While it's not Penguin or a Z, I could see how you remembered the phonetic ending as a Z. While it's a fantasy book, aspects of it do seem medieval and there is royalty in it and journeys and it's part of a series. The Book of Three

message 15: by Sabiha (new) - added it

Sabiha Younus (sabihayounus) | 20 comments Vulco1 wrote: "Prisoner of Zenda?"

YES THAT'S IT! Wow I was really starting to think this was a hopeless case. Thank you soooo much ^_^

message 16: by Sabiha (new) - added it

Sabiha Younus (sabihayounus) | 20 comments Debra wrote: "I'm wondering if this could help. While it's not Penguin or a Z, I could see how you remembered the phonetic ending as a Z. While it's a fantasy book, aspects of it do seem medieval and there is ro..."

Nope, I found the book, it's "Prisoner of Zenda" :) But thanks so much for trying to help!

message 17: by El (new) - rated it 4 stars

El | 502 comments The Prisoner of Zenda for the click

message 18: by Vulco1 (new) - added it

Vulco1 | 29 comments You are very welcome! Glad I could help!

message 19: by Debra (new)

Debra Firestone | 124 comments Sabiha wrote: "Debra wrote: "I'm wondering if this could help. While it's not Penguin or a Z, I could see how you remembered the phonetic ending as a Z. While it's a fantasy book, aspects of it do seem medieval a..." I'm so glad you were able to find it :)