First King of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #0) First King of Shannara question

What's next?
Christine Christine Jul 31, 2014 12:21PM
It's been a few years since I've read this book but I remember really enjoying it. So I headed over to the first Sword of Shanara book and apparently it's a real stinker. I'd rather not waste my time on stinkers but I'd like to get back into this series. What would be a good book/series (in this series, of course) to follow this story?

Thanks!

Edward (last edited Aug 09, 2014 06:22PM ) Aug 09, 2014 06:21PM   0 votes
Dunno that I would say sword of shannara was bad - you have to approach it with the understanding that it was published to capitalize on the late 70s lotr popularity. That said you can skip it and read Elfstones ( a far superior effort) without missing too much. He folllow ups (wishsong and the four book Heritage series) are decent high fantasy.

The above recommended "Word and Void" books are uran fantasy - decent reads as well.

Try the Word and the Void trilogy by Terry Brooks. I rather enjoyed these more than the others. Also read The Elfstones of Shannara - though that was different.

Christine if you liked First King, I don't really see why you wouldn't like Sword. Personally my favourite was Druid, but that's because it took on a more personal tone as apposed to the epic race against time, which seems to dominate the rest of them.

Elfstones is really well written, but I wouldn't really recommend it if you're sentimental about the Tolkein syle of elf. (I was, and couldn't get over it.)

The Sword, the Elfstones and the Wishsong are pretty much the same style, though the Elfstones is better written. I wouldn't call the Sword a stinker, if you keep in mind when it was written, you can understand better why it is what it is. But that understanding comes probably because I already was around and reading in the 70s.
The Genesis of Shanara series has a lot more modern feel about it, maybe you can try those as well.
the "Word and Void" books are very different, I didn't really like hem.