Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

Quarterly Challenges > Randomizer, please pick a book for me! (July)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Melanie (lovebeingvegan) | 9609 comments Mod

Welcome to the first quarter of this new feature here at Christian Fiction Bloggers!

Challenge runs from July-September, 2018.*
*because I'm posting this one early, the challenge takes place during June 16th-September 30th, 2018

How it works:
1-go to your "want to read" shelf (or if you have a different shelf you want to use, that is fine too).
2-see how many books are on your shelf
3-go to https://www.random.org/ and put the number of books that are on your shelf into the True Random Number Generator (put the number in the "max:" line
4-hit generate
5-find the book that is at that position on your shelf and post here with what book you will be reading
6-read that book within the quarter. :)
7-post here when finished and let us know what you thought of it!

If you have any questions, just ask.

message 2: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Jul 06, 2018 04:22PM) (new)

Melanie - Tears of Min Brock by J.E. Lowder
Hannah - Long Odds by Harold Bindloss
Andrea - The Valiant Hearts Romance Collection 9 Stories of Love Put to the Test
Caitlyn-1 Shadows in the Curtain by Cami Checketts June 2018 | 2 Lies Jane Austen Told Me by Julie Wright July 2018

message 3: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

message 4: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Okay. I am using my "want to read" shelf, as that is my true TBR pile. I have 316 books currently (yikes!) and Randomizer chose #34:
Tears of Min Brock by J.E. Lowder .

message 5: by Hannah (last edited Jun 10, 2018 04:37PM) (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1506 comments I wish I had 316 on my TBR! Okay, I’m joining in, but I hope it’s okay if I roll again if it lands on a number I don’t have access to. :)

Actually, it landed on #664, which isn’t a book I have...so I took myself over to my “owned TBR” shelf and counted off to #664. I will be reading Long Odds by Harold Bindloss

message 6: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (last edited Jun 10, 2018 04:35PM) (new)

Hannah wrote: "I wish I had 316 on my TBR! Okay, I’m joining in, but I hope it’s okay if I roll again if it lands on a number I don’t have access to. :)"

Of course that is okay.
316 is the number of books I have to read -- if I included all the books I own on that shelf...it would be a lot more (especially if I put all the eBooks!). I've whittled down my TBR shelf on Goodreads to just have my must reads. :)

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 1506 comments So, since the number was low enough, I was able to use my owned-books shelf. :)

message 8: by Andrea (last edited Jun 10, 2018 04:53PM) (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments I'm in and will be using my netgalley-tbr shelf, which currently sits at a plush 101 books. I hope it's cool to do more than one book this quarter. ;)

The Valiant Hearts Romance Collection 9 Stories of Love Put to the Test by MaryLu Tyndall

message 9: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Santi | 811 comments I'm in! I decided to do two at once, hope that's okay! :)

One from my main TBR shelf: #36 Shadows in the Curtain by Cami Checketts

One from my exclusive shelf of books I want to request from the library: #5 Lies Jane Austen Told Me by Julie Wright

message 10: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Andrea wrote: "I'm in and will be using my netgalley-tbr shelf, which currently sits at a plush 101 books. I hope it's cool to do more than one book this quarter. ;)

[bookcover:The Valiant Hearts Romance ..."

Definitely fine. I might do the same. :)

message 11: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Caitlyn wrote: "I'm in! I decided to do two at once, hope that's okay! :)

One from my main TBR shelf: #36 Shadows in the Curtain by Cami Checketts

One from my exclusive shelf of books I want to request from ..."

Yay!! Hope you enjoy your books!

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments Awesome. Thanks, Melanie!

message 13: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Santi | 811 comments Thanks, Melanie! :) I'm loving this challenge already! :D

message 14: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Santi | 811 comments I just finished reading my first selection Shadows in the Curtain by Cami Checketts. I was looking forward to reading this one, but sadly I ended up not caring for it. :( But, ah well at least I got it off my TBR list so I can move on to my next read! I wrote a brief review of it, here is the link if anyone wants to check it out: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 15: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Caitlyn wrote: "I just finished reading my first selection Shadows in the Curtain by Cami Checketts. I was looking forward to reading this one, but sadly I ended up not caring for it. :( But, ah well at least I go..."

Great job, Caitlyn!!

message 16: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Santi | 811 comments I just finished reading my second selection Lies Jane Austen Told Me by Julie Wright I didn't absolutely love it, but it was a cute, light, fun read and I ended up really enjoying it! Thanks so much for this challenge, it was a lot of fun! 🙂

message 17: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Caitlyn wrote: "I just finished reading my second selection Lies Jane Austen Told Me by Julie Wright I didn't absolutely love it, but it was a cute, light, fun read and I ended up really enjoying it! Thanks s..."

Wow! Already finished both of your selections? You did awesome on this challenge. :D

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam B | 231 comments Alright! I just stumbled upon this thread. I'm going to try it, although I won't be starting the book right away.

I chose my "owned-books" shelf, which contains only the books I physically own. I enabled sorting on that shelf to make things easier.
This shelf contains a total of 275 books, but includes the books I have read.

Randomizer chose #85:
A Dad for Her Twins by Lois Richer

message 19: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

That looks like a cute read, Sam! Hope you enjoy it. :)

message 20: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 4568 comments Okay, so this quarter did not go as planned. Two editing jobs popped up, and my randomly chosen book got shoved to the back burner. So much for doing more than one! Haha.

message 21: by Melanie, ✞Moderator, Avid Reader, & Blogger ✞ (new)

Lol! I haven't read my book either. :/