Authors Lounge discussion

Discussions > Kindle Unlimited? How it's going to change Everything!

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by R.P. (last edited Aug 06, 2014 08:27AM) (new)

R.P. Dahlke (rpdahlke) | 43 comments If you're in KDP Select, you're already signed up for the new Kindle Unlimited, in which case, you may already be seeing a lot more downloads in your KU/KOLL column. I know I am!
Yes, this is Amazon scooping Oyster and Scribd and any other subscription site, but it's also giving authors another incentive to stay with Amazon.
It also makes me think that Amazon may have finally found a way around the "free" ebook giveaways. I don't have a crystal ball on this, but look at how this deal vastly improves your options.
For Readers: A subscription deal @ $10.00 a month and they can download as many books as are listed in the program. Hundreds of thousands of books!
For Authors: get paid royalties from the pool of monthly signups for this subscription service. How cool is that? What does that mean to you? It means that readers can chose the retail price and the Kindle Unlimited price. Gee, lemme think. FREE or full retail?
Note: I will be interested in seeing how the FREE Kindle Unlimited will affect ranking.

I'm already tweeting this for my books adding #KindleU or #KindleUnlimited with #FREE on it. Here's a sample:
#asmsg #mystery, #FREE ON #KINDLEUNLIMITED 20yr old secrets threaten this flying family in A DEAD RED CADILLAC, http://amzn.to/x5qSDD

So how does this change your strategy for marketing? Marketing your books is STILL going to be important, but now we have an option to NOT do FREE giveaway books on Amazon.
Note: Giveaways can be done on Blog hops, Library Thing, GoodReads, etc. I'll be doing more of these!

Starting August 1, 2014, the author form at DIRT CHEAP MYSTERY READS will look a bit different:

1) I will still accept Kindle FREE, and Kindle countdown, and regular priced books up to $2.99.

2) I will now accept retail prices OVER $2.99 ($3.99-$5.99) as long as your book is in Kindle Unlimited. *there will be a box for this, and "FREE on Kindle Unlimited " will now be part of the promotion

**Talk about an incentive to readers! Buy the book for $5.99 or get it for free anytime.

Yes, there are naysayers for this new program, but not from this author/promoter!
I'm going to be advertising my books now more than ever, and I don't have to advertise them at FREE or even 99cents!

Advertise your book with Dirt Cheap Mystery Reads.
I can accept your book once a month. Boxed sets, multiple author boxed sets, short stories, Y/A, children's books--as long as it's mystery/suspense/thrillers--my readers what to hear about it.

Author information page: http://www.allmysteryenewsletter.com/...

message 2: by R.P. (new)

R.P. Dahlke (rpdahlke) | 43 comments Here's a thought--every time authors give away books for FREE, thousands of readers pick them up. I do this too! But do I read them all? No. And most of the people who download them don't either. Yet, this is the way I've gotten hundreds more reviews, and hundreds more fans now read my books.
True: The free days are NOT profitable for Amazon, and yet this program has made many a career-- Mine too! Which allows me, author of six books--newest in August, to say that Amazon's FREE day giveaways have been a resounding success.
Kindle Prime is a sort of reading service, but it isn't entirely the same. Prime takes in a little bit of everything: books, movies, shipping, etc. And books are only a small portion of what Amazon is about. And still, every month, I have people downloading my mysteries. So perhaps Amazon got to thinking--what could a dedicated subscription do for readers and authors?

Kindle Unlimited has less to do with the reality of reading all these books than it has to do with marketing by Amazon. And yes, most Unlimited subscribers will download a LOT more than they'll EVER read in favor of having lots of books to chose from. But guess what? They will continue to do this, because their kindles will hold 2,000 books at a time and they can always clear off books for more new ones. Shocking, isn't it? Well, my friends, readers are changing their habits. And authors will still get paid for it!
One author suggested that Kindle Unlimited will be a money loser for Amazon--Really? At $10.00 a month for the subscription? Thousands of readers will sign up for this every single day. New readers buy kindles, download Kindle reading apps for their tablets and I-Pads every single day. No one has the clout Amazon does. Authors get paid from the pool of subscribers, and right now the author list is only 600,000+. Want to make a bet that will grow in the next couple of months?
Okay, so the 1st month will be free and readers will download every single FREE book that looks even vaguely interesting to them.
`
So how to get YOUR mystery in front of all those readers? Advertise it with sites like DIRT CHEAP MYSTERY READS, put your retail price up and choose the KindleUnlimited option. Then your book will be offered at retail, or Discount (that too) and FREE. You will be paid from the pool and I'm already increasing downloads.