Persephone Books discussion

Little Boy Lost > Buddy read

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tania (new)

Tania | 253 comments Karen and I enjoyed The Village and both felt we would like to read more of Laski's books. We are planning to do a buddy read in mid July of Little Boy Lost if anyone fancies joining in.

message 2: by Tania (new)

Tania | 253 comments I have started this, and have now read the first book, (there are 4).
A strong opening chapter, I'm feeling sorry for Hilary.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Hello Tania, just starting this one

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
I didn't know Hilary was a man's name too ? !
This threw me at first : o and i didn't know that in France, the colour blue is used for girls when first born and pink for a boy !!
Why do you think Hilary lied to his Mother about John being dead?

message 5: by Tania (new)

Tania | 253 comments I didn't know about blue and pink, either. I wonder if this is still true today.
I was wondering about him lying to his mother, he doesn't seem to have a good relationship with her. I thought perhaps he felt the search was hopeless, and doesn't want to raise hopes.

message 6: by Tania (new)

Tania | 253 comments The visit to the orphanage is just heart-breaking. Imagine being punished for playing with a pine-cone and a marble.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Hi dear Tania, just starting part three
I thought Hilary was quite unfair to Pierre , not letting him visit the orphange with him.Pierre had gone out of his way to help too

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
So very sad , it does seem a bit too harsh doesn't it : (

message 9: by Tania (new)

Tania | 253 comments Karen wrote: "Hi dear Tania, just starting part three
I thought Hilary was quite unfair to Pierre , not letting him visit the orphange with him.Pierre had gone out of his way to help too"

Yes, and later he regretted it because he realized Pierre would have been useful to him, in making arrangements. After all he had done for Hilary! I felt very sorry for Pierre here. It's not surprising he feels emotionally invested in the outcome at this stage.

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
This book is breaking my heart : (
Hilary giving little Jean the red gloves in the cafe and they don't fit !
Tears running down my face reading this

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Yes, he regrets Pierre being there ,but at the same Hilary is thinking he really needs to do this on his own.
What a situation to be in !

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Sorry that should say : Pierre not being there

message 13: by Tania (last edited Jul 19, 2018 10:38AM) (new)

Tania | 253 comments I found it to be almost unbearably sad at times. Hilary is very self-centred, but I do pity him. It is a defence mechanism. He feels he can't take any more emotional pain.

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Wow what a book ! it's so heart-breaking but i loved every minute.
Wish i'd read this one years ago now.
Towards the end i wanted to scream at Hilary and say NO , what are you doing!

message 15: by Tania (new)

Tania | 253 comments Hi Karen. Me too. I absolutely loved it, but Hillary made me want to shake him. The relief I felt on the last page was almost over-whelming.

message 16: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Thanks for reading this one with me Tania : )

message 17: by Tania (new)

Tania | 253 comments Thanks Karen, So glad we read this.
I was also reading a memoir The Dancing Bear, which was written about Berlin in the aftermath of WW2. When Hillary was in the Orphanage, so shocked that a lot of the children were tubercular, he was told that they were lucky compared to children in Germany and other parts of Europe. Very true, according to this book.Also heartbreaking. Worth a read if you get a chance.

message 18: by Carol (new)

Carol Eshaghy | 16 comments What Book are you reading now? I’m so far behind.

message 19: by L Y N N (new)

L Y N N (book_music_lvr) | 16 comments You have me enthused about Little Boy Lost! I’m going to order it! 😀

message 20: by Tania (new)

Tania | 253 comments Lynn, I don't think you'll regret it. Wonderful story.
Carol, this month is Vain Shadow, Little Boy Lost was just a buddy read.

message 21: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Thanks Tania, will add this to my tbr : )

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Hi Lynn, it's a great book

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen | 351 comments Mod
Hi Carol, check out the upcoming reads on the home page of the group.Hope you can join in : )