Play Book Tag discussion

Imagine Me Gone
This topic is about Imagine Me Gone
Archive: Other Books > Imagine Me Gone - Adam Haslett 4/5

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole D. | 1497 comments When this book started, and well into it, I thought this would be one of the greatest books I've ever read. There are moments beyond brilliance and it was justifiably a Pulitzer finalist and should have won over Underground Railroad.

Ultimately for me though it ended up being 4 stars, vs. 5 but absolutely worth reading for those 10 star moments.

This is a story of a family dealing with mental illness. Per Haslett "I think of it in some ways as a kind of counterfactual account of my family". The humor scattered through out this book was so clever and original. I want to just keep writing the word brilliant, there's just no other way to say it, unless I get a thesaurus out and I'll still mean brilliant.

On the other hand, no punches are pulled with regard to mental illness and of course that was depressing. And look, that's fine - I have no complaint with that. I think were I got a little bogged down in the book was probably more along the lines of the "factual" part of the story - where the day to day life stuff just didn't live up to the other parts.

Flawed characters behaving imperfectly.

(truly) (view spoiler)

message 2: by Booknblues (last edited Jun 10, 2018 02:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Booknblues | 6844 comments Nicole D. wrote: "When this book started, and well into it, I thought this would be one of the greatest books I've ever read. There are moments beyond brilliance and it was justifiably a Pulitzer finalist and should..."

I read this book last year and was impressed with it. I also gave it 4 stars. This was really a laugh and cry book.

I thought that Haslett did a superb job in giving the characters their own voice. I loved Michael.

I don't agree with you about Underground Railroad, but I am probably the person who was most positive about it on PBT, so I imagine others will feel the same as you.

Nicole D. | 1497 comments I really wanted to love Underground Railroad. I'm still half tempted to reread it

message 4: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2666 comments I wasn’t sure about this book because of the subject matter, but your review has changed my mind - onto the TBR...

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments I liked this, too. Haslett did a wonderful job with the characters and with mental illness. It was one of the better reads of 2016 for me.

Susie | 4488 comments I’m icing this to my ‘read soon’ pile.

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments I loved this when I read it. My adopted sister has bipolar and it has been a rough road trying to understand her throughout her life. This book helped me understand a little more.

Booknblues | 6844 comments Nicole D. wrote: "I really wanted to love Underground Railroad. I'm still half tempted to reread it"

Just sayin' I would never reread something I didn't love in the first place.

message 9: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Oliver | 2097 comments just added to my TBR. I noticed the cover of the book is very interesting. The cover I saw has two letters missing. Imagi e me G ne.