Amazon exiles discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 393 (393 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments Rather than have yet another folder, let's start off tech discussion here and see how much space it needs.

Please note, this is not a thread for discussion of Mr White's many fine qualities. We have bo**ocks for that.

message 2: by suzysunshine7 (last edited Jun 10, 2018 12:34PM) (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments To recap on the Thread so far ...

TwoddleBungler ... "Could we have a new 'Technology' folder please? Personally I now have an Amazon Firestick, Amazon Alexa (including home automation) and I regularly listen to Audible books rather than read print.

I can think of a number of different topics that could come under the heading 'Technology', e.g.
1. Alexa and other home assistants
2. Fire TV
3. Q and A - Here people can ask how to connect their technology and get it to work or other questions such as "How do I type French, Spanish and German accents on my keyboard?"
4. Purchasing from Amazon
etc.

Thanks"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Lez ... "I was thinking of that too, I have several queries and would probably need a thread to myself! You could call it, ‘Try switching it off and on again!’"

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Grizzlygrump ... "Or 'Reboot does not mean kick it!' :)"

Martin O' ... "Good one Grizzle 😁!"

Martin O' ... "Our local tech runs course for learning about computers at no charge, one of those thing I keep promising to get round to but never do."

Martin O' ... "Does anybody else use a kindle fire? If so, do they have trouble when attempting to access music from the search function? Sometimes it works smoothly and instantly but other times it just does not connect no matter how many times I reboot even if I have an excellent signal , which is very frustrating to say the least. My music works fine as do games, books, video and apps"

message 3: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments "Please note, this is not a thread for discussion of Mr White's many fine qualities."

aww! I could talk for ages about the many fine qualities of me! :)

message 4: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments It's such a great shame that you are so modest, Poppet ;o>

message 5: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments suzysunshine7 ... "Jemma wrote: "Hi Suzy. No worries I’ve had connection problems on and off lately which is a pain in the butt."

It could just be the terrible Heat we are having here not helping much? - but unfortunately I know it to be far more down to flippin' Internet Explorer playing up.

I absolutely love Internet Explorer but sadly it doesn't seem to love me, or my Sony Laptop anymore, and it goes through hours of keeping on freezing and shutting down to a black screen for several seconds every few minutes or so on me.

I've actually got used to it now and can even work my way around it for the most part - but unfortunately YouTube in particular often becomes quite unuseable when it is really playing up as Music repeatedly freezes and then returns back to the beginning over and over again.

I'm going to have to get it sorted out once and for all as my attempts at uninstalling and reinstalling have made very little difference. It is always like working with a piece of Knitting with a hole in it that keeps on unravelling and getting bigger and bigger by the day! - LOL!!! ;o>"

theDuke ... "I use IE too Suzy....it used to be fine, until MS kept updating Win10 with their many feature updates...now, if I have too many tabs open at once..it tends to freeze up. I'm beginning to think that MS are adjusting things in favour of Edge..which I don't like and refuse to use. I think I might look at using Firefox again...I recall Firefox worked pretty well in an old laptop I had before."

suzysunshine7 ... "Yeah, I'm still enjoying my Windows 7 while I can - and I was tempted to think that it might be me screwing it up somewhere or it was just my Laptop simply being awkward? - but my Dad also has exactly the same problem on his Laptop with Internet Explorer as I do and ... surprise, surprise! ... it started at exactly the same time over two years ago now and, from memory, right after a rather lengthy Windows Update installed itself the day before."

TheFoe ... "Windows 7? Luxury! I'm still battling with Vista."

theDuke ... "suzysunshine7 wrote: "Yeah, I'm still enjoying my Windows 7 while I can - and I was tempted to think that it might be me screwing it up somewhere or it was just my Laptop simply being awkward? - but my Dad also has exac..."

Ah..the Anniversary Feature update...yep...that's when things started to go icky with my laptop too. I had the unpopular Win8 installed when I bought mine...which didn't hand around long, cos the free Win10 came along. The original version of 10 was fine, to a point....but since the Anniversary version..it's been crap.

PS..if you had a major feature update 2 years ago...then you no longer have Win7 Suzy..it'll be one of the Win10 systems now, either 1503 (Win10 original) or 1703 (Anniversary). These last few months, since October last, MS have pushing out the Creators updates in bits...I've just had another bit installed of 1803, and i'm still non the wiser as what exactly has been installed! It all looks the same to me!"

theDuke ... "TheFoe wrote: "Windows 7? Luxury! I'm still battling with Vista."

My last Desktop PC, that I bought in 2009, had Vista installed Nick. I know it wasn't well received by many, but I never had any major issues with it myself....I thought Vista was okay.

If I've got this right, Vista was the last version of the old platforms, developed from the original 95/98 OS? The current lot are all based off Win7, which I never had. I presume then, that Win7 isn't safe from the Win10 upgrades, but Vista is. I'd hang on to it Nick! Well...at least until MS stops supporting it, in a couple of years time!"

suzysunshine7 ... "No, it definitely wasn't the 'Anniversary Update', Duke and I do still have Windows 7. I made sure to put 'Never10' on to prevent Windows 10 from being forced on me in any of their sneaky Updates.

It was just after an unusually long Update that seemed to struggle to be accepted (I remember it took a whole day and night and at least six goes at it before it finally accepted it all) that the problems suddenly started and they have carried on ever since then. One day my Laptop worked beautifully, the next day it didn't, and it has continued to fall out and fight with Internet Explorer ever since then ;o<"

Derek ... "Vista was rubbish compared to Win 7 and support for Vista ended in April 2017. I don't think there is a free upgrade path to Win 10 from Vista even if you wanted to try it.

Full support for Win 7 ended in 2015, extended support ends January 2020."

Derek ... " We should probably move all this discussion to the new technology thread if we wish to continue it:-)"

suzysunshine7 ... "I was just thinking that, Derek ;o>"

message 6: by Grizzlygrump (new)

Grizzlygrump | 5021 comments Can anybody recommend a 10" android tablet that Mrs Grizzly can't destroy in 5 months?
The last two that she has had, both different makes, have suffered from a gradual slackness on the charging port, resulting in the mini USB connector not locating properly so not charging the tablet.
Maybe it's down to the amount I've spent on them (£120 for the last one) and I should spend a bit more on a better product?

message 7: by TwoddleBungler (last edited Jun 12, 2018 07:17AM) (new)

TwoddleBungler | 4920 comments "Jemma wrote: "Hi Suzy. No worries I’ve had connection problems on and off lately which is a pain in the butt."...unfortunately I know it to be far more down to flippin' Internet Explorer playing up.

I absolutely love Internet Explorer but sadly it doesn't seem to love me, or my Sony Laptop anymore, and it goes through hours of keeping on freezing and shutting down to a black screen for several seconds every few minutes or so on me.

I haven't used Explorer for yonks. I can't remember all the annoyances about it but there were many. I suggest just downloading Chrome Browser.
https://www.google.co.uk/chrome/brows...

Note: It should give an option to transfer your preferences over from IE.

I've used Chrome for ages with Youtube and with Google as my search engine. No problems ever.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 600 comments Grizzlygrump wrote: "Can anybody recommend a 10" android tablet that Mrs Grizzly can't destroy in 5 months?
The last two that she has had, both different makes, have suffered from a gradual slackness on the charging po..."

I have had exactly the same problem with several tablets. the one I have at the moment is pretty good - over a year and its still fine. Its a Lenovo, and I bought an extra long cable for it so I can use it while charging.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...

message 9: by suzysunshine7 (last edited Jun 12, 2018 08:35AM) (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments I have always loved using Google as my main Search Engine and will very likely continue to do so - but I definitely don't want to set up a Google Account or want to use it for anything else.

I find their (now exposed and well-known) clandestine and obsessional tracking of browsing histories and their frequent violations of people's data and privacy to be quite disturbing and extremely invasive.

Apparently Google's answer to being sued by millions of people over here in the UK over these issues is that as they are an American company they feel they have nothing to answer for as they are not bound by our UK Privacy Laws? ;o<

I'm not saying they are the only company online that operates like this? - but I don't like the way that they have surreptitiously continued to collect and use what they gather on folk who have set up Google Accounts and put their trust in them.

message 10: by Grizzlygrump (new)

Grizzlygrump | 5021 comments Gingerlily - All kinds of everything! wrote: "I have had exactly the same problem with several tablets.The one I have at the moment is pretty good - over a year and it's still fine.It's a Lenovo, and I bought an extra long cable for it so I can use it while charging."

So it's not just Mrs Grizzly being heavy-handed then (I tried politely asking her if she was pushing it too far to which she replied "no, but you are!") - it must be a design fault on some of these tablets.

By coincidence, I went ahead and bought a replacement, which is also a Lenovo for £99.99, click and collect from our nearest Argos.
I already have a 3m charging cable as I got fed up of Mrs Grizzly moaning that the cable was too short to be able to use her tablet while it was charging.

Thanks for the recommendation :)

message 11: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Oooh? - something new! - and shiny! ... nice!!! ;o>

message 12: by Martin (new)

Martin O' | 2196 comments My Samsung Galaxy and I have been together for well over two years now and still going strong. Holds a charge fairly well but I usually run it plugged in as I use it quite extensively when I'm on Netflix, YouTube or just lately Prime Video, more so than my laptop. It's less cumbersome and more portable, except for DVD's/CD's, downloading music I very rarely use anything else.

message 13: by Grizzlygrump (new)

Grizzlygrump | 5021 comments suzysunshine7 wrote: "Oooh? - something new! - and shiny! ... nice!!! ;o>"

And still in the wrapper until tomorrow, as Mrs Grizzly and I will be getting up at half past three in the morning (her to go to work - me to make sure she does!).
Top of tomorrow's list is setting up her tablet while she is at work, closely followed by sending back the faulty tablet to Amazon. I went on live chat with them earlier, expecting them to ask me to send it for repair. Instead, they coughed up a refund straight away, even though I bought the tablet 5 months ago. Free return as well :)

message 14: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments ... even nicer!!! ;o>

message 15: by Lez (last edited Jun 17, 2018 06:14AM) (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Something keeps happening with my iPad (4 mini) emails. If I delete one but later want to read it again in Trash, I find it’s a load of gobbledegook but if I move it back to my inbox it’s normal again. However I’ve just looked at one in Trash now and it’s in Chinese! I moved it back to my inbox but it’s still Chinese. Any ideas? How can I translate it?

Update: it’s still in English on my old iPad and my phone!

message 16: by suzysunshine7 (last edited Jun 17, 2018 06:18AM) (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Copy it into Google Translate ;o>

I found this? - maybe you need to recheck your Language Settings? ...

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ht204031

message 17: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments 'Any ideas?'

no.

thankyou. no charge. carry on.

message 18: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Thanks Suzy, I did have a look at my settings but that really only applies to changing the language everywhere and so far mine’s just one email! I suppose as long as I read it when it first appears it doesn’t matter.
It’s so odd it doesn’t happen on my other devices and that when it’s gobbledegook it goes back to English when I move it!

message 19: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Are you moving it into icloud? - perhaps icloud is maintained by the Chinese? ;o>

message 20: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments hey les, get offa I-cloud! as I would say! :)

that's where rastas store their files - the I&I-cloud! (very poor!)

message 21: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments (*GROAN*)

message 22: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments I’ve never understood iCloud and it remains resolutely empty.

message 23: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments I was thinking that if you have retrieved something from a Trash Folder then that might have been where it had gone on it's initial deletion? - into the icloud?

message 24: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments No all deletions go straight to Trash.
My Yahoo! inbox and all the other files are separate from all the iCloud folders.

message 25: by TwoddleBungler (new)

TwoddleBungler | 4920 comments Update: it’s still in English on my old iPad and my phone!
So something's corrupted on your new iPad. Do you log into email via an app or via the web?

message 26: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Via Safari.
My iPad isn’t actually new, I’ve had it about 3 years. It’s been doing the gobbledegook thing for a year or so but not very often. The Chinese is a new exciting phenomenon this weekend! I’ve just had a look through some other Trash but they’re all uncorrupted.
Another thing I get occasionally is an email that’s been fine to begin with but has later been blank with ‘no content’. Usually restored if I leave it and come back again.

message 27: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments Lez wrote: "I’ve never understood iCloud and it remains resolutely empty."

I wouldn't want to store anything in a icloud…..it'll go all mouldy from the damp!

Yeh...I know....TAXIIIIIIIIIIII!!!

message 28: by theDuke (last edited Jun 17, 2018 04:34PM) (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments Right then.....gotta a issue, need help folks..

Just recently learnt, that ever since Win10 came along in 2015, with their new browser, Edge, Microsoft stopped supporting their old browser IE over 2 years ago. This I did not know till yesterday, but it now explains why IE is so rubbish today! Apparently, it's now the worse browser to use, cos so out of date, so to speak. IE11 was the last version to be released back in 2011, and i'm still using it!

The problem I have, is that Paypal sent an email saying that they'll no longer support my outdated browser & have requested I update it (which of course I can't do, as there's nothing to update), and as of July forthcoming, I will no longer be able to access my account. I do a lot business via PP, so need to change to a new browser pronto. But which one? Like Suzy says, I don't trust Google..so not sure about Chrome. I'll never use Edge..simply cos I just don't understand the layout on it...as it's nothing like IE....so mibbe Firefox? Or is there another one out there I can use, that's better?

However, my main query is, that I have vast library of saved links in me favourites..so I'm wondering if it's poss to transfer all these to a new browser in one go? If so, how do I do this? I really don't want to be searching, and adding dozens of links one by one to the new one...as it'll take hours.

So any ideas folks? Which is the best browser out there....preferably one that doesn't nick private data from one! :)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 600 comments If you don't want Chrome I would definitely go for Firefox. As far as I know there is an option somewhere to transfer all your links/bookmarks, but its so long since I did it that I can't remember how.

message 30: by TwoddleBungler (last edited Jun 18, 2018 02:05AM) (new)

TwoddleBungler | 4920 comments This isn't an either/or. You can download and use more than one browser and choose which you need for any particular activity.

I see no reason why you shouldn't use Firefox or Chrome just for Paypal and continue to use IE for everything else.

You don't have to use Google search if you decide to use Chrome. You can use any search engine.

Your connection to Paypal is a secure connection so nobody should be able to tell what goes on once you have logged in to it. In fact Paypal have moved away from IE because it is no longer guaranteed secure so your risk would have been high anyway.

Note: You can 'try before you buy'. Simply download the new browsers and try some non-critical stuff on them. They should give you the option of transferring links (though probably not passwords) from your old IE. You don't have to delete IE - ever. You can also uninstall the new browsers at any time and, if you want, reinstall them again- thus getting the option to transfer links once more.

message 31: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments Internet Explorer was always a security risk: our IT department at work instructed everyone not to use it several years ago. I presume Edge has fewer holes.

I've always used Firefox, except on my tablet where I use Chrome. I don't see much difference between these. They have the advantage that you don't have to go to such lengths to get rid of bing, which is almost as useless as it is annoying.

If you install any new browser it will offer to import all the bookmarks, etc. from your existing browser. Chrome will share settings between different devices using the same Google account. I understand that some people here don't trust Google, which is fair enough, but I really don't understand why they trust Microsoft.

message 32: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Duke, have you checked first that you actually need to do this?

I only ask because I too, along with probably every PayPal user, have received one of these Emails - and, when I logged in and found the page I was looking for on this ....

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/a...

... it offers up a test to see if you do need to upgrade. You just click on a Link provided and if you get through to the correct page then you don't need to do anything.

I tried it and it worked perfectly for me - and so I obviously don't need to do anything to upgrade - even though I still got the Email warning me that I might have to ;o>

message 33: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments Hi folks, thank for the advice...but as Suzy says..it may not be necessary. So i'll try Suzy's link first, and see comes of that...but I think i'll download Firefox as well, just as back up.

I seem to use all the wrong programmes, as I use Bing as my main search engine..i thought Bing was okay! I do use Google as well, but Bing is the main SE. So what's wrong with Bing then?

message 34: by theDuke (last edited Jun 18, 2018 10:23AM) (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments Just did the PP test page..says connection okay..so dunno what that email was all about!

message 35: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments I think that it is a standard Email that is being sent out to every one of their Account Holders, Duke? - just so that no-one gets missed out on being kept fully informed about it?

I guess that PayPal has no way of knowing just what Browser each individual Customer might be using to access their Website or Services unless, perhaps, when you suddenly complain to them that you can't make their Website work for you anymore?

They are making sure that everyone knows about it and then everyone can work out for themselves if they are going to need to do any upgrades on their Devices ;o>

message 36: by theDuke (last edited Jun 18, 2018 02:26PM) (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments Well, now that I know the issue with IE..i'll probably think about switching over to another browser soon...as IE is a right pain in butt to use now anyway!

Thanks for that link Suzy....when I got the email, asking me to check my browser..i couldn't for the life of me, work out how to! So cheers for that sweetie! xxxxx

message 37: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments That's okay, Poppet ;o> ... it had me in a bit of flap too, as to what on Earth I was going to have to do about it - which was why I decided to check it all out first and, in doing so, I found out that my Browser was still okay as far as PayPal are concerned ;o>

message 38: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments Well...for this month anyway...might be a different story come July! :)

message 39: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments Don't ... tempt ... fate ... ! ;o>

message 40: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments I exhausted that particular reservoir of reservation, during the England game tonight!

message 41: by Derek (new)

Derek W | 1208 comments My bank has just released their marvelous, vastly improved Online Banking system. So today, I attempted to use it to move some cash from the current account to another current account at a different bank.

On the old system this was dead easy, one the new system I can't do it at all.

Why can't I do it I hear you ask, well it appears that the new system requires you to validate yourself on the system via their Mobile Banking App on your smart phone, which I don't have or an Android tablet, which I also don't have.

So I rang their help line and discovered that for the time being while they are sorting out a work around for this little problem on the new system I can still access the old system so problem sorted temporarily.

What annoys me about this is they just went ahead without even considering that not everybody has or wants a smart phone/tablet. Why should people be forced towards using technology that they don't need or want just to keep their bank happy?

I have lots of other perfectly valid technology, laptops, Windows tablets, etc, why do I have to have something else I have no everyday use for!

message 42: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments My sister hasn’t got a smart phone so, as I said elsewhere, was unable to scan the timetable at the bus-stop.
I just checked the latest statistics and was really shocked to see 80% of the UK population have them!
I’ve only used mine to check my emails when I was in hospital.

message 43: by theDuke (last edited Jun 20, 2018 04:03PM) (new)

theDuke | 5781 comments I never bought a smart phone either..got no need for one!

All these advances in technology is just coming too think & fast...why the heck do manufacturers feel they've gotta keep changing things all the blinkin' time? Hackers perhaps? Or just plain greed?

I do feel daft sometimes..when my wee nephew can operate some computer device so easily...but I cannot work out how to turn the soddin' thing on! Yet, still feel smug...when the wee youngsters have no idea what a telephone is..or how to use one! Gee..has things moved on that far?!! I tried explaining to my nephew what a music cassette is the other week - (yip...I like tapes & I collect them, plus have several cassette players to boot too.) Showed the wee laddie the tape player, put the tape in it..pressed play, music started playing. Nephew asked..."How do you change tracks, Unkie Dunkie?" (Yes, i'm ashamed to admit it, but he really does call me that!). Errrrr...ya can't laddie..only fast forward or rewind. Nephew - "That's rubbish!" Me - *Sighs*

I daren't show him what a record player is!

I seem to be going backwards myself...regressing to older technology...I just think the older stuff was made better and last far longer than some £800 phone that's out of date from the moment you soddin' buy it!

Okay..i'm not a complete technophobe..i do have my laptop...and a flatscreen TV, but not a smart one (why does that sound like a Smart TV/phone could beat me in a game of Mastermind?!); but never bothered with much else, stopped driving 6 years ago, don't own a Kindle, tablet, that Echo thing, mobile phone..not even a Hi Def TV or Blueray player (that's just a load of nonsense, I can never tell the difference, anyway!)….even my hearing aids are now 5 years old and have well since been surpassed by 'cleverer' designs..mine aren't even wind proof!

But I do own a pair 1980's Wharfedale speakers, an 80's Technics spinner..and am looking about for decent vintage Technics amp....that's about my lot.

Ah no..'ang on....forgot me Vapers & I guess my power tools also too......so....er….yep..... that's it now! :)

message 44: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments I rarely use my phone for the internet but last night there was something I wanted to check on Talk Classical. However all I could get was:

‘SSL connection error.
Unable to make a secure connection to the server. This may be a problem with the server or it may be requiring a client authentication certificate that you don’t have.’

All other sites were fine. It’s been there all day today but Talk C. is perfectly normal on my iPad and laptop.

The administrator says:
“Some issues that may cause a SSL error (code 107)
Incorrect time and date on phone.
SSL certificate has been expired.
The certificate is not issued by a trusted certificate authority.
The certificate is not installed correctly.
Page contains both insecure http:// and secure https:// content.”

Time and date are fine and I don’t understand any of the rest!
I’ve never had any probs before. As I say, I rarely use the internet on the phone so it’s not that important but I would like to know what’s going on.
I’ve tried switching it off and on again.....

Any ideas? Thanks.

message 45: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments i sat up all night researching this, les, and the solution lies in,

Some issues that may cause a SSL error (code 107)
Incorrect time and date on phone.
SSL certificate has been expired.
The certificate is not issued by a trusted certificate authority.
The certificate is not installed correctly.
Page contains both insecure http:// and secure https:// content.

nae bother, don't mention it! :)

message 46: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 9063 comments Lez wrote: "I rarely use my phone for the internet but last night there was something I wanted to check on Talk Classical. However all I could get was:

‘SSL connection error.
Unable to make a secure connectio..."

https://www.thesslstore.com/blog/fix-...

message 47: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Thanks Tim.
All is well! I’ve changed to Firefox and it worked straight away, though with a completely different layout.

message 48: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Over the past few weeks I’ve started getting loads of ads on my phone, really annoying. Is there a free adblocker for it?

message 49: by suzysunshine7 (new)

suzysunshine7 | 14594 comments I've no idea, Lez Lee, but I did find a few articles online about some? ...

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/...

message 50: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Thanks, suzy. I think I’ve done it! I had looked at something like that but it was full of jargon and beyond my ken as usual.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8