Play Book Tag discussion

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
June 2018: Magical Realism > The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

ShazM | 389 comments I didn't expect to like this and I only chose it for this theme because the title appealed to me when someone mentioned it as a possible. So I was really surprised to find myself racing through it! I was completely engaged right from the start and loved it all....... right up until the last quarter or so. For some reason I had no problem with what was happening to Rose but I was utterly unable to grasp the whole issue with Joseph and I had to re-read sections to make sure I had actually understood what was going on.

Now that I've finished it I feel a little disappointed so I'm wavering over whether to give it a four or a three. I think I'll go for four because I really did like it and I might read it again after a little while to see if I can get over the let-down.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Good to hear you liked it Sharon. It’s always good when you land a surprise good read!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6386 comments I was not a fan

Excerpt from My Full Review
Magical realism usually transports me into a story in such a way that I am easily able to suspend disbelief. Here I felt detached and held at arm’s length. I felt that I was being told to believe, but given no reason to believe. Things happen but there seem to be no consequences. Everyone just goes along as usual … living their separate lives though living under the same roof.