The Reading Challenge Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Mini Challenge Archive 2014-2016 > Pass It On (2014) mini

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Jul 31, 2014 09:17AM) (new)

Renee M | 4727 comments Mod
Okay, I'm still noodling out the details but I envision this like those "drop something on the next person" threads that I see around GoodReads. Except the thing you're dropping is a BOOK. A book from your tbr list. (Preferably one that meets the criteria for the Genre of the Month, because I think those are most likely to be picked up by the next person.)

For example, tomorrow is August 1, so I'd post 3-5 MYSTERIES that I plan to read in August. (If you only plan on 1 mystery, then choose 2 alternates that YOU plan to read that month, like a classic and a nonfiction.)

For Example, I post:
1) The Black Dahlia
2) Naked in Death
3) The Blessing Way

Alice posts:
I choose Naked In Death.
1) Murder Must Advertise
2) Murder at the Vicarage
3) The Thin Woman

Betty posts:
I choose The Thin Woman.
Then posts 3-5 titles she plans to read in August. Etc.

message 2: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

RULES:

1) The titles you post should be books YOU intend to read that month. (If you don't get to it, that's another thing, at least you tried.)

2) Please use the html-thingy to link your book titles so the next person can check them out before choosing.

3) Titles should NOT come from the Group's Monthly Challenges, because many of us are doing those already and, while you want someone to choose your book, the object is to challenge ourselves.

4) Once a post has been picked up, it is closed and you must choose from the following post. (In my example, Betty can't choose from me, she must choose from Alice, or wait to see what Claire posts.)

5) If two people post at EXACTLY the same time (because it happens), then the next person can choose from either list (Lucky!) but then BOTH are closed.

6) It's okay to repost a title that has already been posted by someone else if you genuinely plan to read that book.

7) Once you have read the book you picked up, you can enter the stream again, pick up a new title, and post 3-5 more. If this happens close to the end of the month, then post titles that you plan for the following month. (September=classics)

message 3: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Reserved

message 4: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Aug 19, 2014 02:45PM) (new)

Here are five books that I plan to read in August...

1) The Black Dahlia
2) Naked in Death
3) The Blessing Way**
4) Dragon Bones**
5) V is for Vengeance**

** = finished

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Sandy I love this idea, Renee!

message 6: by Melissa (last edited Sep 29, 2014 02:53PM) (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Let's see if I understand, but if not, please help. :)

I Choose The Black Dahlia
1) When Gods Die
2) Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter**
3) The Execution of Noa P. Singleton**
4) Princess Elizabeth's Spy
5) Off the Grid

message 7: by Melissa (last edited Sep 30, 2014 01:10PM) (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Finished:

-The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy; 8-6-14
-Thrones, Dominations by Dorothy L. Sayers; 9/30/14

message 8: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Perfect. The next person needs to pick one of yours.

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Renee wrote: "Perfect. The next person needs to pick one of yours."

I just bought The Black Dahlia on my Nook. Will start tomorrow morning. Was suppose to start When Gods Die, but your little challenge changed that. Sooo Fun!

message 10: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Yay!!

message 11: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Cool!

message 12: by Melissa (last edited Sep 24, 2014 08:39AM) (new)

message 13: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments Reserved

message 14: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments I choose Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I wasn't sure I'd be able to do this challenge this time around as Mystery isn't my strongest genre, but I've been wanting to read this for a long time!

1. The Skeleton Crew: How Amateur Sleuths Are Solving America’s Coldest Cases
2. Fiendish
3. FaceOff

message 15: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Aug 19, 2014 02:46PM) (new)

message 16: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments Yay Renee! I'm so excited to read Face-off as well!

message 17: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

It has a really cool premise and I love short stories. :)

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Kassandra and Renee, did you see that there is a chance to win FaceOff.

message 19: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Oops. Too late. Already bought it for kindle. (That happens WAY too fast. Damn that Whispernet!) Thanks anyway.

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen | 289 comments I choose Whose Body?

1 Death Comes As Epiphany
2 The Big Over Easy
3 A Small Fortune
4 The Red Lily Crown: A Novel of Medici Florence

(I hope my interpretation of the genre isn't too broad!)

message 21: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments Melissa, I didn't see the chance to win Face-Off. Is that in the giveaways section?

message 22: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments Oops! Thanks Iasa! When I was on my phone I couldn't see the link for some reason. Now I see it. Thanks for the link Melissa!

message 23: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Karen-
I think your mysteries look enticing! I took a couple for my tbr. :)

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Kassandra wrote: "Melissa, I didn't see the chance to win Face-Off. Is that in the giveaways section?"

Click on the title FaceOff and then scroll down; you should see the chance to *Enter*.

message 25: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments Thanks, I found it and signed up for it!

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen | 289 comments Renee wrote: "Karen-
I think your mysteries look enticing! I took a couple for my tbr. :)"

Yay! Always happy to contribute to other people's book addiction, LOL

message 27: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I picked up FaceOff from Kassandra, and am finally starting to read. So far, it's excellent. A collection of short stories, each written by two famous mystery/thriller authors. Such fun!

message 28: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments I'm so happy that you're enjoying Face Off Renee! I'm looking forward to tucking into it.

message 29: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

This month's genre challenge has been really good for me. :) I'm probably going to try and add one mystery.a month to my monthly plan going forward. I'd forgotten how mush fun they can be.

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Renee, Mysteries are my -- go to sleep candy, they are fun. Great for entertainment, great way to end the day. But have been setting them aside due to the genre challenge and of course, since finding the 1001 books.... So how many mysteries have you managed? It looks like your cranking away. For me, summertime does not allow me to read much, but September is around the corner. :)

message 31: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Similarly, I'd gotten away from reading them, unless classic like Arthur Conan Doyle or Wilkie Collins. I like all genres but seem to go in phases. I think that's another reason the monthly challenges have been good for me. They keep me from getting into a rut, yet aren't too restrictive.

Anyway, I've read about 15 mysteries so far, and I'm into three others, The Eustace Diamonds (on audio), The Black Dahlia, and Faceoff. How about you?

message 32: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments I thought I'd have a great month, but only 9 and not all mysteries. I have about 4 more that I would like to try to fit in. Like you, this year has been keeping me hopping and trying new genres. How do like The Black Dahlia?

message 33: by Sandy (last edited Aug 20, 2014 03:33PM) (new)

Sandy Getting back to passing it on, from Karen's list -
I choose Death Comes As Epiphany.

1) A Room of One's Own
2) The Bell
3) Villette

I hope I am not breaking the rules by listing classics. With only ten days left in August, I am planning for September's genre read.

message 34: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Thanks, Sandy! That's perfect. If no one picked up the thread I was just going to add the list if classics to start the next round. :)

message 35: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Renee wrote: "Thanks, Sandy! That's perfect. If no one picked up the thread I was just going to add the list if classics to start the next round. :)"

Oh goody. (I aim to please. :D)

message 36: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments I picked up Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil from Melissa and I'm loving it! The story about the various characters of Savannah was so engrossing that I forgot that this was a mystery! It took me until page 250 or so when the crime was finally revealed to notice that there was more to the story than gossip and good old Southern tales. I'd definitely recommend this one and can't wait to see how it ends.

message 37: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Lol. Yes, the crime almost seemed secondary!

message 38: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Too funny! I still have not read this and it was earmarked for this year and this month--still not have there. :)

message 39: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments It really does - but it's so much fun just getting to it that I really don't mind.

message 40: by Kassandra (new)

Kassandra | -1 comments Melissa, it might be a good one to add to your list for the readathon, it's a fun read :)

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments I would, but I've got a list/stack of short novels (about 130 pgs.) that I plan on checking off that weekend, maybe I'll earmark The Garden for another weekend challenge. Kassandra, a very good suggestion, though! :)

message 42: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Aug 31, 2014 08:42AM) (new)

message 43: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Renee wrote: " I choose Villette.

- Uncle Tom's Cabin
- The Portrait of a Lady
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass (MOOCS Title)"

Oh, Renee. Great choice! I hope you will enjoy it. I am listening to it now, and really look forward to the times of each day when I normally am able to listen.

message 44: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

:D Its the one they had available as an audio file from my library, so I figured it was destiny.

message 45: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Renee wrote: ":D Its the one they had available as an audio file from my library, so I figured it was destiny."

You didn't check Librivox first?

message 46: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Heheh. Have Ears, Will Travel.

message 47: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Well, I finished the abridged version of Villette, but finished nothing after the September Readathon. So I'm restarting this challenge for October with...

-The Portrait of a Lady (Henry James)
-Hard Times (Dickens)
-Household Tales by Brothers Grimm (Grimm)
-Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass (Carroll)

I know they're not "Horror Genre" but the MOOC titles I'm planning are already covered by the Group Challenges.
-Dracula (Stoker)
-Frankenstein (Shelley)

message 48: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Oh dear, I think I missed something. On August 20, I chose Death Comes As Epiphany from Karen's list. Was I supposed to read it in August? I ordered it on inter-library loan, and I'm still waiting for it. I now have it on my October TBR list. Do I have to dump it and choose again for October, Renee?

message 49: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Hmm... My original concept was to choose something each month. Then jump back into the stream for the next month. But, I really don't think it hurts the concept if you jump back in whenever you finish. Just keep reading and passing along your list of planned reads.

message 50: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Renee wrote: "Hmm... My original concept was to choose something each month. Then jump back into the stream for the next month. But, I really don't think it hurts the concept if you jump back in whenever you fin..."

Okay. Thanks, Renee.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.