Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Circe
This topic is about Circe
Archives > Circe, by Madeline Miller

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer (jennyftb) | 38 comments I read this audio book for the 2018 AtY challenge, prompt 52 (a book published in 2018). Many readers seem to love this book. I am not one of them, mainly due to the incredibly slow pacing of the story. I did appreciate the author's use of language and knowledge of the subject matter so I will read other works by her in the future.

Chrissy | 934 comments I’m one of those who loved it! I do agree that it is slow-paced. One thing that I really appreciated was (view spoiler)

Jennifer (jennyftb) | 38 comments I agree Chrissy - that is an interesting aspect of the story.

message 4: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8323 comments Mod
I just finished this one for author with the same first and last initials.

I thought the point of view was interesting -- first person, past tense. I kept expecting the story to end with a "and this is why I'm telling you this story..." but it didn't.

I did like how Circe grappled with what it means to be mortal and immortal. (view spoiler)

Milena (milenas) | 648 comments I also read this book for author with same first and last initial. I loved it. I am fascinated with mythology anyway, and it was very well written. I liked the slow pace, I think it served to enhance the sense of isolation.

Jess | 12 comments I read this for ATY 2019 - a book featuring a criminal character (okay, so it's not your run of the mill interpretation of criminal, but I think it's reasonable to group Circe in with "assassin, pirate, thief, robber, scoundrel"). Also I really wanted to read a book with a non-male character for that topic :)

I really loved the way the book wound through its exploration of mortal / immortal, moral / immoral, family, loyalty, heroism... because of the slow unwinding, it felt much more real - not like the immediate understanding of a fable, but the slow wisdom of a life lived and knowledge gained through experience. I thought her writing was beautiful.

Michelle (maezyreads) Just finished it. I absolutely loved it.

Not every book needs to be action packed or fast paced. Some just need to tell a story and this was one of those. In my opinion, it told it beautifully.

Adriana I'm reading this book now (am about halfway done) for a book set in a Mediterranean country and it is taking me forever to read because it is so slow paced! Not really my style of book, however I will say if you enjoy books focused mainly on character development it is well written

Sara (phantomswife) | 933 comments I loved it, but then I am a sucker for myths and fairytales. It is always nice to see inside a character and from a different point of view than when you originally were introduced to them--provided the author knows what she is doing, and I think Miller does.

I used this for prompt #25 - Something borrowed. After all, this entire story is primarily borrowed from Homer.

Ashley Moore (ashleym99) | 546 comments I don't usually read these myth type books, but I really enjoyed this one. I think the perspective it was written, like the life story of the character Circe. It was well written and easy to follow. Also, you do not need to know about the Greek God myths to be able to follow the story and understand what is going on.