What is Life without books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive 2018 > Group Read #5

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1262 comments Mod
This will be for discussion next group read beginning July 1.

message 2: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1262 comments Mod
The Hate You Give won! Thank you all for voting! Awesome!!!

message 3: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1262 comments Mod
Anyone started or read the group read yet? I have not started yet but hope too soon. I have heard good things about The Hate You Give.

message 4: by Lee (new)

Lee Dawna (leedawna_author) | 6 comments Aly wrote: "Anyone started or read the group read yet? I have not started yet but hope too soon. I have heard good things about The Hate You Give."

I've started on The Hate You Give and so far I'm really enjoying it! I also put the runner up book on my kindle so I'm hoping to get them both in this time! Happy Reading!

message 5: by nil (new)

nil (nilnil) I have already read The Hate U Give. :)

message 6: by Karin (new)

Karin Great, I've already read it, but will be happy to discuss!

message 7: by Lee (new)

Lee Dawna (leedawna_author) | 6 comments I've finished! I gave the book 4 stars but I wish we had the ability to do 1/2 stars because it's really 4 1/2 for me. Here is my review:
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas is yet another book you’ll wish was larger! The author walks you through the mind of a young black female as she navigates high school and the day to day trials of her life. It was great to see each angle represented: youth, gender, and color. We are all complex individuals and the heroine of this story shows her many layers, even the ones she’s unsure of. Hers is a world I could have spent more time exploring. Her mind one I would have loved to stay inside. Which is why the last quarter of the book felt rushed to me. Resolutions, of sort, come fast; with weeks of time cut out in order to get to the place where the book can reveal its ending. Though I’m sure if the author chose to write a ten thousand page book some would complain, and publishers wouldn’t be brave enough to publish, but I for one would have enjoyed the continued day to day of Starr’s mind. I would have loved seeing more of her interaction with her boyfriend (their relationship felt flat), and a greater showing of how she “comes into herself” when her worlds collide and she realizes she doesn’t have to keep the people she loves separate. I’d just love to see more of her life! Maybe an expanded version can be written. If so, I believe this is could be required reading. A tome to last the ages.

message 8: by Lee (new)

Lee Dawna (leedawna_author) | 6 comments Now to start on the runner up book. It was The Book In The Attic, right?

message 9: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1262 comments Mod
LeeDonna wrote: "Now to start on the runner up book. It was The Book In The Attic, right?"

Yes The book in the attic!

message 10: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1262 comments Mod
LeeDonna wrote: "I've finished! I gave the book 4 stars but I wish we had the ability to do 1/2 stars because it's really 4 1/2 for me. Here is my review:
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas is yet another book you’ll ..."

I am glad you enjoyed it! I am still working on mine but thank you for sharing your opinion with us! I have already read The Book in the Attic! Feel free to share if you like this one, it is also book 1 in a series!

message 11: by Karin (new)

Karin This is my review from before; it's not showing me the link to get to the actual page of my review for some reason!

3.5 stars

This is a very strong debut novel. I can see why this has been a best seller and so many people love it, but, perhaps because I have read so many rave reviews that it was difficult to live up to the hype, it wasn’t a 5 star book for me. The best things about this novel is that Starr is a likable protagonist and it does a good job of letting readers see another side to news stories where cops kill unarmed people, particularly when there is the added factor of racism and cops protecting their own. I’ve known for most of my life that you can’t trust the news to get things as accurately as you would like, but it can be hard to separate fact from fiction in the news.

The voice of the POV was good, and many of the characters were well drawn out, but a few felt more cliché and two dimensional. A few times the dialogue felt forced in a similar way to many police dramas (not the exact same way, of course, but in police dramas you often see TV cops having dialogues that explain procedures or other things that there is no way real cops would ever talk.) Thomas avoided some of the pitfalls of Picoult’s Small Great Things by not trying to add in too many extra problems and issues to Starr’s life and thinking than could realistically fit into a novel.

Angie Thomas has talent, and I look forward to reading more novels by her as I am sure her writing will grow and develop.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.