2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > A Prudent and Intentionally Modest Challenge - 20.

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C I N D L E (new)

C I N D L E (cindle) | 30 comments Considering I’m joining GR again halfway through the year, I think it prudent to keep my reading challenge modest. More than that though, I read for delightful pleasure, to retain the stories within me long after I’ve read them.
Fewer, but exceptional and impactful titles allow that to happen.

The reading challenge for me isn’t so much as a means to accumulate tens of thousands of pages to boast about, but more as a way to get to know new, dynamic characters whose life stories I will remember long after I’ve closed the pages to their worlds. I may reach and surpass my goal, or I may whimper along close to the finish line. Either way, I hope to enjoy the process, without pressure of a weighty number bogging me down. The beauty in reading for me is the process, not the pressure.

Many of my titles will be historical and literary fiction, but I have some memoirs, and spirituality titles already in the pipeline. I’ll see how it goes, as nothing is set in stone. Happy reading to you all.

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) That sounds amazing Cindle! Wishing you lots delightful reading hours!

message 3: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments Hi Cindle wishing you the best of luck and some great reads!

message 4: by C I N D L E (new)

C I N D L E (cindle) | 30 comments Halfway through my personal challenge of 20 books. Not bad, considering I started the challenge during the last week of the month of May, rather than in January. Either way, I’m reading for pleasure, and taking my time to savor each book.

message 5: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments I love your attitude about reading. Historical and literary fiction are my favorite genres as well.

Any favorites for the year so far?

message 6: by Kaitlan (new)

Kaitlan | 32 comments Good work on your challenge. I’m the same, I don’t read a large amount and just started reading last month, hope to read 25.

message 7: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments Thanks Cindle! We definitely seem to have similar tastes in books and I have Prime as well so I just downloaded River on Fire and Born Survivors. Both sound terrific.

I love Kristin Hannah and highly recommend her new novel The Great Alone if you haven't read it yet. It's mainly set in Alaska and her descriptions of its beauty and dangers make are beautiful. I agree she can be overly sentimental but I think she writes complex relationships well and that is definitely the case in this novel. Warning, it deals with domestic abuse and I know some people aren't comfortable with that.

I really enjoyed A Gentleman in Moscow and hope you do as well.

message 8: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments Best of luck with your goal! As long as your having fun thats what matters!

message 9: by C I N D L E (last edited Jun 25, 2019 04:15PM) (new)

C I N D L E (cindle) | 30 comments I've achieved 75% of my 2018 reading challenge as of today, August 6th. In addition, according to Goodreads, I'm four (4) books ahead of schedule. Somewhat remarkable, taking into consideration that I started my challenge at the end of May, plus that I take a breather in between books and don't rush my reading.

Top favorites read to date include:

1. 'A Gentleman In Moscow' [I predict this will be my top favorite for all of 2018]
2. 'River on Fire'
3. 'Kitchen Confidential'
4. 'The Dovekeepers'

message 10: by C I N D L E (last edited Jun 25, 2019 04:14PM) (new)

C I N D L E (cindle) | 30 comments Personal challenge of 20 books completed, but I will of course continue to read on :-)
Some highlights since starting the challenge at the end of May till now mid October:

My top favorites read to Date include:

1. 'A Gentleman in Moscow' by Amor Towles [5-Stars] (This will likely remain my top favorite for all of 2018)
2. 'All the Light we Cannot See' by Anthony Doerr [5-Stars]
3. 'A Man Called Ove' by Fredrik Backman [4.5-Stars]
4. 'River on Fire' by Scott Pratt [4.5-Stars]

Honorable mentions:

5. 'Kitchen Confidential' by the late Anthony Bourdain [5-Stars] (2nd time reading it)
6. 'What Happened' by Hillary Clinton [5-Stars]
7. 'The Dovekeepers' by Alice Hoffman [4.25-Stars]
8. 'Born Survivors' by Wendy Holden [5-Stars]

Disappointments/mehs read to date

1. 'The Weight of Ink' by Rachel Kadish [3.5-Stars]
2. 'The Elegance of the Hedgehog' by Muriel Barbery [3-Stars]
3. 'The Women in the Castle' by Jessica Shattuck [3.5-Stars]
4. 'The Nightingale' by Kristin Hannah [2.5-Stars]

Complete duds/worst read to date

1. 'Hotel Sacher' by Rodica Doehnert [1.5-Stars]

message 11: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Cindle | kindle w/a C. wrote: "Personal challenge of 20 books completed, but I will of course continue to read on :-)
..."

Congratulations Cindle!

message 12: by C I N D L E (new)

C I N D L E (cindle) | 30 comments @Susy

Thank you for the kudos.

message 13: by C I N D L E (last edited Jun 25, 2019 04:17PM) (new)

C I N D L E (cindle) | 30 comments 2018 has been a remarkable year in books for me. 'A Gentleman in Moscow' remains undefeated as my top and best read of 2018, and also earned a spot in my all time top favorite books list. I look forward to seeing which book takes the top spot in 2019. Below are some highlights. With the excellent also came the mehs, and a couple duds. See below

MY 2018 READS FINAL HIGHLIGHTS
================================================

Quick Stats:

2018 Reading Goal; 20
Total Titles Completed: 28
Total Pages Read: 8,480
Total Novels Read; 21
Total Short Stories Read: 5
Total Books of Poetry: 1
Total Other (Story Photography): 1
Longest Book Read: 576 Pages
Shortest Read: 41 Pages
Total Books Abandoned: 0 (I still don't want or have a DNF shelf)
================================================

Top Favorite Novels Read in 2018:

1. 'A Gentleman in Moscow' by Amor Towles [5-Stars]
2. 'All the Light we Cannot See' by Anthony Doerr [5-Stars]
3. 'River on Fire' by Scott Pratt [4.5-Stars]
4. 'A Man Called Ove' by Fredrik Backman [4.5-Stars]

Honorable mentions

5. 'Kitchen Confidential' by the late Anthony Bourdain [5-Stars] (2nd time reading it)
6. 'The Dovekeepers' by Alice Hoffman [4.25-Stars]
7. 'Keep the Home Fires Burning' [4-stars]
8. 'Winter Loon' [4-Stars]
9. 'What Child is This' (Short Story) [4-Stars]

=======================================================
Disappointments/Mehs of 2018 (Did not meet my expectations)

'The Weight of Ink' by Rachel Kadish [3.5-Stars]
'The Elegance of the Hedgehog' by Muriel Barbery [3-Stars]
'The Women in the Castle' by Jessica Shattuck [3.5-Stars]
'The Road Beyond Ruin' by Gemma Liviero [2.5-Stars]
'The Nightingale' by Kristin Hannah [2.5-Stars]

======================================================
Complete Duds/Worst of 2018

'Hotel Sacher' by Rodica Doehnert [1.5-Stars]
'Less' by Andrew Sean Greer [2-Stars]