EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

The Bell Jar
This topic is about The Bell Jar
CURRENTLY READING > The Bell Jar - Pre-Read

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Discussion for June 2018 selection.
From the Classics category: The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

SPOILER-FREE discussion, please.

Renee (elenarenee) I am going to pass on this one. I did not care for it my first time through. I am still reading IQ84 and I am Cat.

I may try and join in if I remember enough. If we are extending the read time I may also join late. Summer is always busy and I am enjoying Iq84

Leesa Thanks for posting the threads up Sarah.

I will be joining in when I’ve finished ‘all the light’ which I’m only half way through.

Just bought my copy of this today though! Excited...

Megan | 402 comments Looking forward to starting this once I finish The Namesake

Karen | 127 comments I'm glad the group selected this title. I didn't know anything about it or the author until I picked up my copy at the library. I will start it as soon as I finish The Great Alone. (Which I started while waiting for the June threads to start up.)

Kerri | 702 comments I just read this book a few months to a year ago so I won’t be reading it again, but I will be looking forward to the discussion and seeing everyone’s thoughts!

message 7: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue So I have avoided reading this book. It always seemed like it would be a lot of overwrought angst.

I'm going to get a copy and give it a try though. See you all (or many of you) in the Spoilers discussion later this month.

Renee (elenarenee) You are right on your analysis of the book. It is all that but it is also beautify written, It makes you look at yourself and others in your life. I read it a long time ago. I cant say I liked it but I am glad I read it.

Sue wrote: "So I have avoided reading this book. It always seemed like it would be a lot of overwrought angst.

I'm going to get a copy and give it a try though. See you all (or many of you) in the Spoilers di..."

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 568 comments This is one of my favorite books.

Monique | 159 comments I've started reading this book but I'm finding it difficult to get interested. Is anyone else this way? How far do you have to get to become hooked? (Not sure this applies to everybody but it's been my general experience with various Victorian novels that I needed to get to page 100 or 150 before I was actually drawn to the book.)

Renee (elenarenee) M I was the same way when I read this book, It was hard going for me. I an really glad I read it. It made me do a lot of thinking. But I honestly can't say I enjoyed it. It is one of those books that has a lot to say. It helped me understand mental illness. I think its worth reading for the incite it gives

message 12: by Renata (last edited Mar 01, 2021 11:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Renata (renatag) | 808 comments Mod
Hi All! This is the April 2021 Bookshelf Catch-up selection. This is the second time we've picked it as a group read.

Please note that this is a SPOILER FREE discussion.

Who plans to join this read? Will it be your first time or a reread? What are your expectations?

Woman Reading  | 417 comments This is great motivation for moving it off of my TBR shelf. I know very little about Plath other than she was a poet who committed suicide. But she's been alluded to many times such that I'm curious.

message 14: by Elenap (new)

Elenap | 32 comments I have never understood the appeal of this book. I will follow the discussion to see if I can find it

message 15: by Johanna (new) - added it

Johanna (5886046-johanna) | 32 comments I have this waiting, I loaned it from the library because I saw from GR's feed that someone gave this four or five stars. But I loaned this several months ago withouth reading it, now I'm going to do it!

samed (discoveredreading) "The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath was the first book that I read this year and I still have mixed feelings about it whether I liked it or not. I hope to get some new insights in the Spoilers discussion at the end of the month and wish everyone who will be reading it a wonderful time!

message 17: by Elenap (new)

Elenap | 32 comments I am one who never got the appeal of this book. I understand it is supposed to help one understand depression. I have read many other books that did this so much better.

message 18: by fleurette (last edited Mar 20, 2021 10:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

fleurette | 91 comments I've read The Bell Jar about two years ago and I really appreciate this book for what it is, even if it is definitely not something I usually read. But I don't plan on reading it again, once is enough for me for such a dark topic.

You will find my short spoiler-free review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Faiza (faiza1214) I finished this book recently and found it difficult to get into at first but more interesting towards the end. There were a lot of aspects where she described her depression that I could relate to and other parts that I empathised with. Overall, I did enjoy the book.

message 20: by Brian (new)

Brian Pilgrim | 1 comments First time joining a book club, and have never read Plath. I'm looking forward to it.

Justine Reinosa (justwinkie29) | 7 comments Haven’t read this book in a few years. Love Sylvia Plath and her poetry.

message 22: by Emily (last edited Mar 26, 2021 11:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emily (upontheshelf) | 14 comments I have actually never read this book, but my favorite artist of all time stated that Sylvia Plath was one of his major influences, so I purchased this book--along with a book of her poetry--a few years back. Excited to actually read it now, though many people have said that they found it to be quite depressing (or, if not outright depressing in and of itself, characterizes the feelings underlying the experience of depression quite well).

Guess I'll give it a shot and see what it's like!

I'll be reading this one too. I'm hoping to get a better understanding of depression. This book was written in the 60's when mental illness was never discussed openly. It was a groundbreaker.

Melissa (mkk2715) | 168 comments Just started this- listening to the audiobook and it is narrated by Maggie Gyllenhaal- I’m loving it!

Justine Reinosa (justwinkie29) | 7 comments Love the Maggie Gyllenhaal reading of this book

Ellie-May I’ll be joining in with this one, going to start it after I I finish The Song of Achilles. It has been on my bookshelf for years it’s just one of those books I have never got round to reading, excited to be finally starting it!

message 27: by Lena (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lena (nlgmcr69) | 81 comments Renata wrote: "Who plans to join this read? Will it be your first time or a reread? What are your expectations?..."

I decided to join in and read The Bell Jar this time around. It has been on my TBR pile for awhile now. To be honest I am struggling to get through it. I GET why it was such a big deal for it's time. Just so far not my cup of tea really, but I will power through to the end to see how it leaves me overall.

message 28: by P (new) - rated it 2 stars

P K | 4 comments Melissa wrote: "Just started this- listening to the audiobook and it is narrated by Maggie Gyllenhaal- I’m loving it!"

I'm listening to the audiobook too and love the narration. Would definitely recommend the audio version.

Frezita | 7 comments Hi!!!! Not had the opportunity to read this book. Glad to read it as a group.

message 30: by Elenap (new)

Elenap | 32 comments This is one book I never understood why it was so popular. I will be reading the discussion hopping to get some incite

Ashley  Jacobson | 73 comments Finally starting! I’ve always wanted to read this because it’s mentioned in lots of shows with characters that are supposed to be well read, but I don’t think I know very many people who have actually read it. We’ll see how I feel. Seems people are divided!

message 32: by Nike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nike | 201 comments I've read a few chapters and I like it so far =)

message 33: by Nike (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nike | 201 comments I really do love this book. She creates an atmosphere which both drags me into her head and in the same time puts up a fence. She seems both luring and dismissal. Maybe that is a classic feature of bipolarism, I don't know. But it sure creates an interesting style.

This is our December 2022 Bookshelf Catch-Up selection, now read for the 3rd time by this group. Will you be reading it too, and why?

message 35: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan Z (jrgreads) | 93 comments This is on my I should read this sometime list, so I guess I will be reading it in December.

message 36: by Roevardotter (new) - added it

Roevardotter | 22 comments Jan wrote: "This is on my I should read this sometime list, so I guess I will be reading it in December."

I will join you in December :) maybe even starting in november but not sure yet

message 37: by Ted (new) - added it

Ted Keen | 5 comments Santa Claus brought me the Barnes and Noble leatherbound edition of The Bell Jar a couple of years ago. It’ll be nice to read it in December with you all. Must be a favorite read - three times by this group.

Angel | 1 comments I've seen quotes from this book seemingly everywhere. Very excited to finally get around to it!

Joshua (jiggityjog) | 2 comments Very much excited to finally read this book. I’ve heard so many good things about it over the years but have been afraid to delve into it because of my own personal struggles. Hopefully, processing it with you nice folks will make it a little less emotionally difficult.

message 40: by Leroy (new) - added it

Leroy | 2 comments Well, here I am, I'm in. Everyone's comments are intriguing because they're all so different. I was always led to believe that this was an amazing book. It's cited often enough in pop culture. I guess I'll crack it open and have a read.

Joshua (jiggityjog) | 2 comments I’m glad I finally got around to reading this book. I was worried it would be too much to handle as I’ve lost my mother to suicide & I know this was one of her favorite books when she was younger. Instead of making me feel more depressed, like I was afraid it might with the anniversary of my mom’s death coming up in a few days, it helped me feel a lot more connected to her memory. Obviously, my specific situation is very unique & I can’t expect too many people to be able to similarly relate but it was a powerful enough experience that I thought would be worthwhile to share.

message 42: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan Z (jrgreads) | 93 comments Sorry, Joshua. I hope this book helps you. I am sure it will be a tough read for you. Have you finished it?

EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Bell Jar (other topics)
The Bell Jar (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sylvia Plath (other topics)