Play Book Tag discussion

Exit West
This topic is about Exit West
June 2018: Magical Realism > Exit West by Mohsin Hamid 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel N. | 1657 comments Nadia and Saeed are a young couple newly dating in an unnamed middle eastern country when war breaks out. Soon doors begin appearing that take people to other parts of the world and a worldwide immigration crisis arises. I never really connected with Nadia or Saeed, the only two characters who get names, which made me less invested in the story. There are also brief stories of other people who use the doors scattered throughout the book but I don't think they added much to the story. Hamid does have beautiful writing in spots but at times his sentences dragged on and on with multiple commas. Overall the book was a bit of a letdown considering all the raves I've read about it.

Susie Sorry you didn’t like it more Rachel. It was a stand out for me. Diversity of taste is what makes our group so great!

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I didn't notice the run-on sentences, but I do agree with the random nameless characters. I did admire his writing though -- I think I'm going to look up some of his other works.

Susie I really enjoyed The Reluctant Fundamentalist Jolene. It’s very different.