NetGalley Addicts Support Group discussion

Need Help? [Ask the Group] > Email to them

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill (inkyreviews) I'm confused. I recently was approved for a book and they asked me to
"our review is an important part of the book publication process! After you read, write a review and send us a link to your review by replying to this email or by emailing." (I removed the email address)
I have never been asked to do this before. Any insight into why? WOn't they be notified by Netgalley?

message 2: by SundayAtDusk (last edited Jun 08, 2018 06:30PM) (new)

SundayAtDusk | 100 comments I've been asked to e-mail reviews, too, but have ignored the requests if they are asking for the reviews being sent to Amazon or Goodreads, since I am providing the links to those reviews at NetGalley. However, I also have been requested to e-mail a link to my blog review . . . only I don't have a blog . . . so, ignore those requests, too.

For those who have a blog, are you a different type of reviewer than a "consumer" one, and is your blog connected to your NetGalley account?

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 489 comments Jill wrote: "I'm confused. I recently was approved for a book and they asked me to
"our review is an important part of the book publication process! After you read, write a review and send us a link to your rev..."

I ignore all requests for additional links to my reviews, that is what NetGalley and/or Edelweiss is for. Unless you have a personal relationship and/or know the publicist or whomever for a particular book and then want to respond, that's different :)

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) I have two publishers who routinely ask, in their standard approval emails, for me to email them links to my reviews. I assume it makes it easier for those two marketing leads to identify reviews received from individual email accounts rather than wading through multiple platform notices. To each his own, but I do as each asks because it’s no problem for me to grant this professional favor, may increase my approvals at least from these two houses, and the email I use is one they have access to in any event, e.g., there’s no loss of my personal data. If there’s some reason not to comply with this straightforward request, I’m open to hearing it.

message 5: by SundayAtDusk (new)

SundayAtDusk | 100 comments My reason not to comply with "this straightforward request" is probably laziness. :)

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill (inkyreviews) Thanks! I appreciate it. I haven't decided what I will do yet, it just seems so strange.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) SundayAtDusk wrote: "My reason not to comply with "this straightforward request" is probably laziness. :)"

And I totally respect that. :)

message 8: by SundayAtDusk (new)

SundayAtDusk | 100 comments Thanks, Carol. :) Thinking about it, though, I think I'm reluctant to e-mail the publishers links because I fear it will seem like I want to make certain they see MY review. (Yes, I know they asked for it.) Also, I firmly believe in critical reviewing; not the friendly type where you are deeply concerned about the author's feelings and finances; and I feel like if I e-mail a highly critical review, it might seem like I was throwing it in a publisher's face; something I would never have any interest or intention of doing.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 489 comments SundayAtDusk wrote: "Thanks, Carol. :) Thinking about it, though, I think I'm reluctant to e-mail the publishers links because I fear it will seem like I want to make certain they see MY review. (Yes, I know they asked..."

You make some excellent points for not e mailing them separately. I believe it's a form letter that they send out to "everyone" that they grant a galley to. So there are probably people who gets galleys directly from them like booksellers, etc and then I can see the follow up e mail making sense. But we are already giving them our review through Netgalley which they pay to use.