What is Life without books discussion

Archive 2019 > I Need Help!!!!!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 971 comments Mod
Stuck writing a review? Post your questions here so other members can help. For instance I have a real problem writing a review for a book I think is just okay. I'll be asking for help on those. You can ask for help here any time you get stuck.

Karen  ⚜Mess⚜ I'd really love to read some of those books the authors have posted. I feel bad if none of them get reviewed. I'm a bit intimidated to be a reviewer simply because my reviews really lack. My majority of reviews only consist of stars. Also, if I don't like a book I can be a bit brutal.

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Would it be helpful if I copied and pasted some off my reviews? Maybe Aly would be willing to also.

I've been brutal. Believe me there are a few out there. Here's one for you;

Not One Redeemable Character
Byseraphim0731on June 22, 2018
Format: Kindle Edition
You Made Your Bed is classified a psychological thriller but I didn't find anything thrilling about it. It tells the story of the extremely rich Crowe family who live in a Manhattan penthouse. The story is told in the first person and the narration switches back and forth between Carolyn the daughter and Wilson the son. Immediately it becomes clear that the entire family has psychological problems. Gordon the father is a shady businessman with control issues and is a serial adulterer. Lillian is the emotionally distant mother who's drug and alcohol addiction keep her in a world of her own. Caroline the oldest child still living with mommy and daddy is a sociopath who hears voices and dreams up ways to kill people. Wilson is the rebellious son who does everything he can to tick off his father which includes moving to California, becoming a school teacher and marrying "beneath him." Like his father Wilson is a serial cheater.

The beginning of this book seemed to go on forever and ever. It didn't take long to realize this family was beyond disfunctional. The constant whining from both Caroline and Wilson got old fast. The characters were well developed around the 25 percent point yet the story still hadn't taken off. None of the characters had any redeeming qualities. They constantly blamed everyone else for their character flaws and complained about how difficult their life is. A life others dream of.

There is finally some development of a storyline about 60 percent of the way through. It was predictable long before it happened.

I can't recommend this book. Yes, the characters are unbelievably twisted but they aren't interesting or likable. The storyline is so thin it's almost nonexistent and what there is of it is predictable.

I received an ARC copy of this book

message 4: by Patricia (new)

And for contrast here's a good one:

You Can Go Home Again
Byseraphim0731on June 28, 2018
Format: Kindle Edition
A Bird in a Hurricane is a legal thriller by Carlton M. Downey. It is the first book in his Paul Theriot series.

Having learned the father he's been estranged from for 20 years is dying of cancer hotshot Houston attorney Paul Theriot returns to the small Louisiana bayou town he grew up in to reconcile with him. As they come to terms with past wrongs Paul and his father Gus finally find that father and son bond. Paul decides to spend as much time as possible with his father to help him through his last months.

When Paul's best friend and employee Dre asks him to meet with the mother of Kenny Cooper, a young man sentenced for a term 30 years he finds he can't refuse. After hearing the story and reading the files Paul agrees to represent Kenny.

This is a book that shines a light on all the corruption and greed we hear about in a justice system that is sometimes very unjust. Especially when talking about Louisiana where Sheriffs and Judges can buy office and then buy and sell prisoners for their own gain.

Taking on the corruption while trying to balance his other priorities in life refined Paul as a man and he becomes a better human being because of it.

This was a fantastic book. I loved every second of it. As the story developes Paul becomes "a bird in a hurricane" with problems and crises coming at him from every direction. Although there are many overlapping storylines involved in this book the author did a great job of taking the reader along for the ride. I was never confused by this multilayered novel. It was truely one I could not put down. I had to know what was going to happen next.

When I began the book I wasn't very impressed with Paul Theriot as an attorney or a person. He is a complicated man who lives by his own rules. It didn't take me long to begin to understand him and eventually admire him. Every character in this book is well developed.

I almost read this book in one sitting. If I could have stayed awake I would have. It took me about eight hours to read it. It's a very easy read. At no point was I lost or confused with the story arc.

I highly recommend this book. I'll be reading the entire series because it was that good. Not only is it entertaining it is timely in it's message about how our justice system doesn't always work the way it should. As the author makes clear in the book the problem isn't with the justice system, the problem is with the people who abuse the system for their own gain.

I received a free copy of this book and voluntarily reviewed it.

message 5: by Mél (new)

Mél ☽ (wudya_lookatthatcrescent_) My review would usually oscillate between a literary analysis and simply giving stars. Ugh.

Karen  ⚜Mess⚜ See how cool yours are?
Here's my last one

Butterfly in Amber (Spotless, #4)
by Camilla Monk (Goodreads Author)

5 stars

Beautiful ending! Loved the whole damn biscuit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

haha! But then again, that's just me. I guess that's my point. I could write a long, detailed review, but it's just not me. And I wouldn't wish my pessimist ass on any author.

I just hope the authors get someone to review them.

message 7: by Patricia (new)

An author I wrote a review for told me a few days ago that sites like bookbub won't list books until they have at least 100 or 150 reviews on amazon. It isn't just a guide for other readers it's to get their books SEEN on other sites. I'm not sure how much actually needs to be said in a review. That's a good question for our authors.

I review for sites that are for reviewers like Hidden Gems, Netgalley, Authors XP, etc. That's why my reviews are written that way. I also review for authors who ask me to.

I don't expect anyone to write reviews like I do. I did a lot of analysis and technical writing in my work life. I worked millitary intell in the navy and insurance law after that. I wrote those insurance policies you don't understand to comply with state law. Both jobs were very analytical and technical. It makes writing reviews easy for me. I was trained by the best, the U.S. Navy. Learned more in 6 months from them than I did in four years of college.

You just have to do your best but say a little more than you like the book. WHY did you like the book, what did you like/not like about the characters and why people should read the book.

If you hate the book just stop reading and say you aren't going to review it. Reading the book I wrote that bad review for just about killed me. I was soooooo bad. It took me about 6 days to read it because I hated it. The review was for Hidden Gems so I felt I had to finish it otherwise 10 percent into it I would have deleted it off my kindle.

message 8: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1262 comments Mod
I write whatever I want in my reviews. On the books I don't like, I try to give the author some reason why I didn't like it. Like the book didn't keep my attention or I didn't feel connected to the characters.
I don't think we should be brutal but I think we should be honest so they know for the next book.
I think the problem with writing books (like most things) not every single person is going to like it. You can't please everyone.
It is the same with writing reviews. I can tell you most of my books are not long. I don't summarize the book because a lot of people do that and the brief description either tell you about the book or doesn't. I write reviews about if I like them, love them, hate them, didn't finish them and why...ect.
I think writing reviews are personal in a way, at least to me they are. I had a author tell me one time she didn't not like the way I write reviews and my thinking is then don't ask me again!!!

Hope this helps someone! I say write a review how you want there is no right or wrong review the author just wants to know if the book was like and if so why or if it wasn't liked why, basically.
Authors correct me if I am wrong!

message 9: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Lawler | 4 comments Patricia wrote: "An author I wrote a review for told me a few days ago that sites like bookbub won't list books until they have at least 100 or 150 reviews on amazon. It isn't just a guide for other readers it's to..."
This is such a helpful thread. As a self-published author we literally hang by our fingernails for good or reasonably good reviews. They make or break us, and believe me our fragile egos are teetering all the time. So please don't be too brutal...even if you hate it. Constructive feedback, however, is an entirely different thing. It's possible to be negative (because you didn't like the book) and still be constructive...in other words, pointing out that the characters were poorly developed, or the story arc had flaws, or grammar was poor, or the first half of the book was achingly slow...that kind of stuff really helps an author because it identifies where we've got to lift our game if we're to remain in this business.

And please please please review! Even if it's just a sentence or two based on how the book made you feel. We are so desperate for reviews because as highlighted earlier, bookbub and other promotional opportunities are simply not open to us without reviews.

message 10: by Karen ⚜Mess⚜ (new)

Karen  ⚜Mess⚜ Thank you J.M.

You have been most helpful. I feel bad for all the stars I leave behind with no reviews. I always thought stars were counted as a "review".

message 11: by Simon (new)

Simon Brading (simon_brading) | 8 comments The BEST reviews are simple to do, all you need to do is say what YOU felt and thought about the book, whether you liked it or not etc. If there are bits you especially liked or didn't like, point them out.
There is no need to put a synopsis of the entire book in it unless you really want to, although this is becoming more and more popular and does tend to get reviewers noticed.

The WORST reviews, and the ones you should never write are the ones that give one or two stars, take apart the book, and then say "I don't like this style of book" or "this book wasn't for me". Usually after having received a free copy from the author. Seriously, if you knew / found out that the book wasn't right for you, STOP READING, don't review it, tell the author thank you, but no thanks. Do not put a bad review on it just because it wasn't your kind of book - if it wasn't free you wouldn't have bought it, right? so don't spoil the author's chances of selling to people who DO like that kind of book.

Also, if an author sends a book and there are spelling and or grammar mistakes in them, don't forget those authors probably can't afford editors. Either take the time to list the mistakes, or say to the authors that they're there and let them decide to deal with them or not. Don't just dock stars and point them out in a review, we don't all have the resources of published books. however, if the book is so badly written that it is unreadable, you should DNF it and say why in your review.

Above all, please DO review, whether it's good or bad; your reviews are not just for the author but for other people who might be umming and ahing about whether to buy the book or not. Be honest.
And if it's a good review then post it on Amazon as well and help support authors who are doing what they love but aren't able to make a living from it!

message 12: by Patricia (last edited Jul 07, 2018 07:28AM) (new)

I've only written three bad reviews. Two were for big name author publishing house books I bought and the third is above.

That bad review I posted was for a book that went nowhere. In the first chapter the character told the reader she was going to kill someone and the book just never developed. It was repetition with no story.

I never give a bad review because it isn't a book I would typically read. I read the book for what it is and never allow personal preference to guide my review. I've read a few that were politically preachy and the authors politics were not mine. I had to ignore that and avoided discussing it in the reviews. Personally when I pick a book up it's to be entertained not preached to and I don't believe an author should preach in fiction. But that's just me. I get enough political negativity in the news.

I've seen one star reviews and the person gave the book one star because of sexual content or swearing. That's not right. EVER. That is personal preference and a poor choice of book on the readers part. I've also seen them for edititing. If you can read it edititing errors can be simply mentioned but say you were still able to read the book. EVERY book has edititing errors including those from big publishers.

I don't write a summary of the book to "get noticed." It's required by some sites I review for. I write my reviews the same every time so I don't have to worry about what each site requires. But as I said in an earlier post you don't have to do it. This is suppose to be fun not feel like work.