Harry Potter Fanatics - Ontario discussion

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald: The Original Screenplay (Fantastic Beasts: The Original Screenplay, #2)
This topic is about Fantastic Beasts
Timeline

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julia (new)

Julia | 103 comments Mod
I would like to point out some interesting things about the timeline of this new franchise. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them takes place in 1926. This is also the year that Voldemort was born (albeit on the last day of that year), which I am sure is no coincidence. I believe that much like Star Wars, a matter of "the Force" is at play here; the next Dark Wizard is born in the year that the current Dark Wizard starts (or is in the middle of, as the exact year of his reign is not specified) his revolution.

Looking ahead, Tom Riddle begins school the year he turns 12 because his birthday falls after the September 1st start of term. Dumbledore visits him first in the orphanage most likely on December 31 1937, which puts him in the year 1938 when he starts school. From then on, we know that he opens the Chamber of Secrets at age 16 in the year 1943. It also means he graduates in 1944. We also know that Dumbledore defeats Grindelwald in 1945, so I am sure we will be seeing Tom Riddle, or at least hearing of the opening of the Chamber, in one of the following movies.

One other detail: both Grindelwald and Newt (although he merely took the blame for Leta) were expelled for dangerous experiments... just an interesting bit of parallelism that I'm sure will be touched upon in future installments.

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia | 103 comments Mod
Of course the whole McGonagall is suddenly old enough to be in this instalment is really throwing all continuity for the timeline out the window... Hmm....🤔

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia | 103 comments Mod
I just hope they don't fix these continuity errors with a Time Turner!!!