Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Age of Myth (The Legends of the First Empire, #1)
This topic is about Age of Myth
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Age of Myth [Oct 8, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Starting Oct 8th.

message 2: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Thanks, Jenna! I'm in. Would be my first Sullivan book.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments It's a great place to start, Silvana!

message 4: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Good to know, thanks, C.P.

message 5: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (leeman729) | 828 comments Silvana wrote: "Thanks, Jenna! I'm in. Would be my first Sullivan book."

Oh wow, I didn't realize its your first, Silvana! Riyria Revelations didn't catch your eye?

message 6: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timelord Iain | 17971 comments Mod
I think it's just a case of overbooking... she was saying she was booked through September back in February, when we were reading World of the Five Gods... the monthly master buddy reading list is getting crazy...

message 7: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments I’m tempted. Have been wanting to read this since a while back.

message 8: by Silvana (last edited Jun 10, 2018 11:25PM) (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Iain wrote: "I think it's just a case of overbooking... she was saying she was booked through September back in February, when we were reading World of the Five Gods... the monthly master buddy reading list is ..."

Liam wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Thanks, Jenna! I'm in. Would be my first Sullivan book."

Oh wow, I didn't realize its your first, Silvana! Riyria Revelations didn't catch your eye?"

Yep, just like what Iain said. I am overbooked AND I only have this book already in my TBR (owned) shelf.

message 9: by Rose☆ (new) - added it

Rose☆ (roserachel) | 20 comments I'm in. I've owned this for a while and keep putting it off.

message 10: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Glad to have you with us, Rose!

Andorion (ruineleint) So very definitely utterly in.

message 12: by Rose☆ (new) - added it

Rose☆ (roserachel) | 20 comments Getting excited 😊

message 13: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 1476 comments I'm in too! I recently read Revelations and the first three Chronicles. The last one briefly teased at the mythology and characters of this series, so I'll be excited to start it soon!

Andorion (ruineleint) I loved the Crown Tower audiobook. I might do this in audio as well.

Morena I've been meaning to read this for a while, so I'm definitely in!

message 16: by Silvana (last edited Oct 07, 2018 06:34AM) (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Just read the introduction, interesting to find out that Sullivan finished the trilogy series before publishing the first book. I think it is a good approach.

message 17: by Mel (last edited Oct 07, 2018 03:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 1476 comments Silvana wrote: "Just read the introduction, interesting to find out that Sullivan finished the trilogy before publishing the first book. I think it is a good approach."

I appreciate that approach as well; I know he did the same with Revelations. I also like how his books can be read as standalones as well. I've read first installments by other authors that didn't even cover everything in the blurb, cutting off in the middle of the action, which strikes me as dishonest.

message 18: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Chapter 3 is really funny. Malcolm the storyteller 😅

So far this book reminds me of Cornwell's The Last Kingdom.

Andorion (ruineleint) 5 chapters done.

Firstly, I would like to just gush a bit at how greatly Sullivan has improved as an author.

I was not particularly impressed by the first Revelations. The writing and dialogue seemed stilted, the world half drawn, the characters tentative. But by the end of the trilogy, he had transformed, with complex plots, a deep world and appealing characters. Chronicles only added to this and I confess that the first Chronicles helped me to understand the Royce-Hadrian dynamic more than all of Revelations.

And now we have Age of Myth, and so far I have to say, this feels effortless. It is well-written - the narrative is smooth and cosy, you can get into the story and feel at home in it.

Now regarding the events(view spoiler)

message 20: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Good catch on Persephone, Arkadeb. I Unfortunately in chapter 12
(view spoiler)

And then there is also this weird thing in the same chapter when Persephone (view spoiler)I am disappointed with Persephone.

message 21: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Chapter 16
Raithe is getting to my nerve again. (view spoiler) this guy is weird.

message 22: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments I finished. It was a really easy read, and I did skimm some parts because I wanted to end it asap. Yeah, suffice to say this book is just an okay one for me. I might be jaded over epic fantasy and all their tropes and worldbuilding. I need more originality.

I wished the elven politics were explored further, with a more interesting villain. The one we had was too mwahaha evil, conniving councilor type for me.

Andorion (ruineleint) 11 chapters done.

I have to say that I find Persephone a bit naive. After the scene in the lodge, did she not consider the political implications of her actions?

I am very intrigued by Grin the Bear now. Hopefully we get more.

(view spoiler)

message 24: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 1476 comments I'm waiting for my order to arrive, so I may be a couple days late getting to this one. I hope you all don't finish before I get a chance to start!

message 25: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 1476 comments Silvana wrote: "I finished. It was a really easy read, and I did skimm some parts because I wanted to end it asap. Yeah, suffice to say this book is just an okay one for me. I might be jaded over epic fantasy and ..."

Silvana, sorry this one fell a bit flat for you. Although I haven't started, based on Sullivan's other books I can see what you may mean.

I actually remember when starting the first book in Revelations, being a bit skeptical about the character tropes that were reinforced rather than subverted. What you see is what you get. Bandits are conveniently scarred, disreputable figures are missing teeth, and barmaids sport the requisite plunging necklines. Not that relying on visual shorthand isn't useful and doesn't have its place. But especially after the unique sci-fi worldbuilding of Binti for example, I found it took a bit of getting used to re-acclimate to a straight-up fantasy.

message 26: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Arkadeb wrote: "11 chapters done.

I have to say that I find Persephone a bit naive. After the scene in the lodge, did she not consider the political implications of her actions?

I am very intrigued by Grin the B..."

On the spoiler:
(view spoiler)

message 27: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Melissa wrote: "Silvana wrote: "I finished. It was a really easy read, and I did skimm some parts because I wanted to end it asap. Yeah, suffice to say this book is just an okay one for me. I might be jaded over e..."

Thanks, Melissa for the elaboration! Yeah... The jetlag after reading imaginative, bizarre, unique worldbuilding - like NK Jemisin and China Mieville's works - was very apparent. And unfortunately those are my staple in the last two years. Recently I also read another epic fantasy and had to groan constantly about the farmboy/chosen one trope, super long travel, weapon of power, and other traditional elements.

message 28: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 1476 comments Silvana wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Silvana wrote: "I finished. It was a really easy read, and I did skimm some parts because I wanted to end it asap. Yeah, suffice to say this book is just an okay one for me. I might..."

Sometimes it just depends on your mood. I've also had the experience of coming back to the fantasy genre and feeling comforting familiarity. The "hero bonding with a dragon hatchling" trope is also well-used, but I nestled right into His Majesty's Dragon with an indulgent fondness for it.

message 29: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Melissa wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Silvana wrote: "I finished. It was a really easy read, and I did skimm some parts because I wanted to end it asap. Yeah, suffice to say this book is just an okay one..."

I love Temeraire series too!

You're obviously correct, mood can play a role too. I remember liking the first Magician book (Feist) - I think it's the Magician: Apprentice - and was fond of the old-school fantasy storyline there....before my enthusiasm got destroyed by the Magician: Master, but that's another story.

message 30: by Andorion (last edited Oct 11, 2018 11:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andorion (ruineleint) 19 chapters done.

Is Grendel a bit (view spoiler)

In the village I continue to be frustrated by how Persephone fails to see (view spoiler)

@Silvana (view spoiler)

I also love Suri, especially her (view spoiler)

message 31: by Silvana (new) - added it

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Haha, yeah, Persephone was not as smart/savvy/experienced as she thought. She is no Daniel Abraham's Clara.

Andorion (ruineleint) Finished.

This book should have been names "How Persephone got her world rocked"

Seriously though. I felt that this book was basically about Persephone. There were lots of other cool characters and stuff but mostly everything revolved around her.
(view spoiler)

I love Suri in all her innocence and brilliance. (view spoiler)

I loved the bit with Nyphron at the end. Wonder where that will go.