Into the Forest discussion

General > Accepting Mystery: Seeking Resources

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4530 comments Mod
Robyn wrote: "Hi. I wonder if anyone can think of any tales (fables, fairy tales, anything) with a message along the lines of, "We all have to accept a little mystery," or, "There are some things we'll just neve..."

Hmmm.....good question! I'll gave to think about that. If I understand you correctly, I think in most fairy tales people accept and don't question the magical or the fantastical.

message 2: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 755 comments Robyn wrote: "Hi. I wonder if anyone can think of any tales (fables, fairy tales, anything) with a message along the lines of, "We all have to accept a little mystery," or, "There are some things we'll just neve..."

Robyn, I don't know if this is the sort of thing you're looking for, but two novels sprang to mind right away: The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey and The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Things happen in both these novels that are not logical but the characters seem to accept them in spite of that. It's as if they (and we) have to suspend disbelief.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (Ardea) | 5 comments Have you considered the work of Charles DeLint? There are several short story collections that are centered are his fictional modern city of Newford. He is a wonderful writer, and is considered the father of modern magical realism.

message 4: by Jalilah (new)

Michelle wrote: "Have you considered the work of Charles DeLint? There are several short story collections that are centered are his fictional modern city of Newford. He is a wonderful writer, and is considered the..."

I agree! I love the books of Charles de Lint! And because they take place in our world and the magic is always hidden at first, the protagonists almost always doubt the magic at first!

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3758 comments Mod
I wonder if Hans Christian Andersen has something along those lines?

message 6: by Jalilah (new)

Robyn wrote: "Great ideas, thanks! I have never read any short stories by DeLint, and I have a big, dusty, unread book of HCA stories sitting on a shelf."

Personally I prefer De Lints Newford Novels. It's a series, but the books are all standalone except for the last 3, which are better appreciated read in order.
I suggest starting with either Memory and Dream,Forests of the Heart or Someplace to Be Flying