Mental Health Bookclub discussion

Support Chat > Reading and Anxiety

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Adiyah (last edited Jun 06, 2018 07:44AM) (new)

Rachel Adiyah I sometimes find that I cannot read because when I look at my books, I am overwhelmed by anxiety. In the past few months, I have often only been able to read anything if I take a Xanax, first, a prescription that was given to me by my doctor to take only as needed, and I'm on a lot of Klonopin regularly as it is.

Does anybody else suffer with this problem? What would you do other than take more meds to get past it and what do you think it stems from? I can't live without reading, but I feel somehow disappointed that it takes more meds than I already take to do it. I'm already on a ton.

Oddly enough, I never felt this way when tackling academic reading or reading for a group like a reading challenge. I've only ever felt this way when I was reading for my own enjoyment.

message 2: by Di (new)

Di | 391 comments Mod
I feel very anxious when my to-read list grows too big or when im reading too many books at a time.

Things that have helped me:
* dnf a book if it doesnt suit your needs. No need to suffer
* find a calming place to read. A park, a pillow fort, a tea shop
* find out the best time u can read. Anxious in the mornings in general? Read in the evenings.
* if very anxious i tend to reread old favourites.
* do buddy reads. Pick a book and read it with a friend at the same time. Sometimes it leads to hilarious chats (i can always volunteer as a buddy!)
* try reading something lighter. ever tried comic books (for example adulthood is a myth)? Graphic novels or manga? They are short and engaging and might make u forget about anxiety.
* u mentioned academic reading was fine. What about scientific reading for fun? There are many interesting books out there that cover a wide range of topics ( emperor of all maladies: a biography of cancer; homo deus: a brief history of tomorrow; radium girls; a brief history of time by hawking; astrophysics for people in a hurry by neil degrasse tyson). If you tell me your interests im sure we could find something.

message 3: by Rachel Adiyah (new)

Rachel Adiyah Di wrote: "I feel very anxious when my to-read list grows too big or when im reading too many books at a time.

Things that have helped me:
* dnf a book if it doesnt suit your needs. No need to suffer
* fin..."

All very good ideas. I think that maybe I began to read too many books at one time. I'll do that, sometimes; I take out a lot books from the library of all types, non-fiction, science-fiction, etc., and in addition to books that I own that I read slowly, it becomes a logistical nightmare. I thank you for your very good observation about this kind of thing.

As far as non-fiction goes, for science I enjoy theoretical physics and astrophysics, and medical books might be interesting; then true crime, historical biographies of European women, and social history.

I do indulge in graphic novels. I am a self-admitted DC Comics-Batman-Nerd. I also really enjoyed the Ghostbusters graphic novels; I have some of them piled up, maybe now would be a good time to break them out. As far as manga, I read a lot when I was in my early twenties; I don't know what's out there now for the shoujo crowd, but I'd be open for suggestions.

message 4: by grace (new)

grace I listen to a lot of audiobooks, which like Ian said does help my mind from wandering down anxiety spirals as well, and I can listen to them while I do other things to keep my hands from trying to pick on my nails or skin like they will if I am not doing anything with them.

I use the smartphone app Libby because I can download free audiobooks or put holds on ones I want that aren't yet available. I will have about 3-5 books at a time, and change what I'm listening to depending on my mood and how my mental health is doing.

If I'm feeling good in the morning I may listen to serious mental health books with difficult subjects. If they make me feel too unhappy then I will switch to young adult or juvenile books - they are great for a quick adventure without the more heavy themes some adult books have. I also have some scientific books about nature that I listen to in bed which help me to fall asleep without letting my brain wander into spirals of anxiety or depression.

So yeah, I just keep a lot of audiobooks around at once and swap depending on my mood! I don't try to force myself to finish a book if it doesn't fit my mood, even if its a book I'm interested in. If I'm not enjoying myself while reading or listening to it, then I remind myself that I can listen to something else! (Comedy podcasts are also useful for when I'm out of books and need something light to keep my brain busy).

Hope you have more luck reading for fun in the future!

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsashleychristine) I often experience anxiety when my to-read list is too long. I begin treating a book like an item off of a checklist rather than a story to ponder. It takes the joy out of it. Right now, for instance, I’m reading Crime and Punishment. My summer goal is to read a book a day, and it’s not an unreasonable one for me, I read fairly quick. It’s just that I have a lot of work to do at this time that takes precedence over reading, rendering me unable to meet my goal at this time. I can’t stop obsessing over it, and I’ve been staying up far too late attempting t

message 6: by Ean (new)

Ean If you are not as emotional reader as Anathema Grace and I ( i too keep multiple books on the go for when the right mood strikes), you could plan shorter reads around busier days. You are so lucky to be able to read a book a day!

message 7: by RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (last edited Jul 26, 2018 05:31PM) (new)

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments Aloha, How is everyone reading going?

Kind Regards,
Alwaysdaddygirl

message 8: by Rachel Adiyah (new)

Rachel Adiyah RM(Alwaysdaddygirl/Salemwitch) wrote: "Aloha, How is everyone reading going?

Kind Regards,
Alwaysdaddygirl"

I've overloaded my reading, again. At least this time everything that I'm reading qualifies as speculative fiction; I just finished The Joker A Serious Study of the Clown Prince of Crime by Robert Moses Peaslee The Joker: A Serious Study of the Clown Prince of Crime, a non-fiction book of academic essays in different fields concerning the DC Batman villain the Joker. After that, I put away non-fiction for awhile.

The only thing is that I'm having trouble deciding what I like reading and what I'm feeling obligated to read.

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments Kudos! It looks good. I marked it as to read. Mahalo! Would you mind elaborating on books your obligalted, please?

Kind Regards,
Alwaysdaddygirl
🇺🇸🤙

message 10: by Rachel Adiyah (new)

Rachel Adiyah RM(Alwaysdaddygirl/Salemwitch) wrote: "Kudos! It looks good. I marked it as to read. Mahalo! Would you mind elaborating on books your obligalted, please?

Kind Regards,
Alwaysdaddygirl
🇺🇸🤙"

It's not as though I actually am obligated to read anything, it's just that I was feeling that having begun certain books I have to finish them. And today I was just like, "Screw this!" I went through my books, removed the ones I didn't want to read right now, and I feel less stressed and a lot clearer.

message 11: by RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (last edited Jul 28, 2018 08:50PM) (new)

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments Rachel Adiyah wrote: "RM(Alwaysdaddygirl/Salemwitch) wrote: "Kudos! It looks good. I marked it as to read. Mahalo! Would you mind elaborating on books your obligalted, please?

Kind Regards,
Alwaysdaddygirl
🇺🇸🤙"

It's n..."

Ah okay. Mahalo for explaning! Book choices are never easy when your a true book lover. For me, if I buy a book by one of my favorite authors and it sucks, I read cause I feel obiligated to the author.

Or I feel obiligated cause I bought it and it sucks and I do not want to waste the money.

Some folks feel obligated for different reasons; a friend ask them to read it, it for a group, etc. Tis why I ask. Plus I am weird and my brain go thinking straight to Mars at times.

Be well,
Alwaysdaddygirl🤙🇺🇸

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments Aloha All,

Does anyone want to share what things are getting in the way?

Be well,
Alwaysdaddygirl
🇺🇸🤙

message 13: by Rachel Adiyah (last edited Aug 11, 2018 08:14PM) (new)

Rachel Adiyah I read a description and reviews of a general physics book (meaning not geared towards those with a background in science) which asserted that Time does not exist. I looked for other books on the topic and I found several general audience books with the theme of time not existing. Frankly, I don't have the patience at the moment to describe the different ways in which they explained away our perception of the passage of time, but some of them described nightmare universes (as bad as ours is, there are models way more frightening).

More to the point, these nightmare universes seemed illogical, irrational, and frightening, and I suffered a major anxiety attack, completely lost it, and now I can't read science OR science-fiction without feeling like I'm ripping apart at the seams. It's frightening to be told that everything you think you know about the universe (multiverse, whatever, but you get my point) is completely wrong in such a profound way that you can't even wrap your mind around the new reality being put forth.

I realize that there are many physicists and cosmologists who profoundly disagree with these people, but for some reason it's like they're being drowned out by the others.

I don't know how to get myself back together.

message 14: by RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (last edited Aug 15, 2018 09:14PM) (new)

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments Rachel Adiyah wrote: "I read a description and reviews of a general physics book (meaning not geared towards those with a background in science) which asserted that Time does not exist. I looked for other books on the t..."

If I may, hugsie🤗🇺🇸.My apologizes for the delay. I am in greiving and I vanish even more. Life can be worst.

Mahalo for sharing!

This is going to stupid. If you had a day off work, what would you do. What are other things do you like?

🤙,
Alwaysdaddygirl (RM)
🇺🇸

message 15: by Rachel Adiyah (new)

Rachel Adiyah RM(Alwaysdaddygirl/Salemwitch) wrote: "Rachel Adiyah wrote: "I read a description and reviews of a general physics book (meaning not geared towards those with a background in science) which asserted that Time does not exist. I looked fo..."

I'm so sorry to hear that you're grieving! I won't pry and ask for the reason, and there's no way to rush it, but my heart is with you at this time. I've lost several dear family members and every year at the anniversary of their deaths I find myself in immense pain. Grief can be a lonely process; I really am so sorry.

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments Rachel Adiyah wrote: "RM(Alwaysdaddygirl/Salemwitch) wrote: "Rachel Adiyah wrote: "I read a description and reviews of a general physics book (meaning not geared towards those with a background in science) which asserte..."

Thank you very much! It not prying for me. It just I am drowing more and more and cannot talk about it. i am sorry. Mt deepest condolsnces for your tradgedies. You are so couragous for being able to share! How are things? If I nay🤗🇺🇸

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments My brain in zombie still. My alologizes Rachel Adiyah for posting that question.

Would anyone else like to share?

Be well,
RM Griffin
(alwaysdaddygirl)
🤙🇺🇸

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments Aloha,

Anyone reading anything that is helping them?

Be well,
RM
(alwaysdaddygirl)
🤙🇺🇸

Rain ((A 1,000 yrs of nothing, it’s a heartbeat, I’ve never been ready.)) (raindropsmix) I sorry but I need to get this out. I’m 14 now and because of my aunt I’m anorexic, since I was 3. She keeps telling me I need to lose weight and that I need plastic surgery. Please tell me she’s wrong. No one believes athat my Aunt would do that and call me a liar.

message 21: by Di (new)

Di | 391 comments Mod
She is wrong. Your weight is your business and no one else's. You are wonderful the way you are :)

message 22: by Bianca (new)

Bianca Beemer | 1 comments Own Your Anxiety 99 Simple Ways to Channel Your Secret Edge by Julian Brass

This book has been so amazing for my anxiety! Sometimes I find it hard to read when I am in a haze but this book is so simple and digestible. Each tip is about 2 pages so you can dive into, pick ip up and put it down really easily.

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments Bianca wrote: "Own Your Anxiety 99 Simple Ways to Channel Your Secret Edge by Julian Brass

This book has been so amazing for my anxiety! Sometimes I find it hard to read when I am in a haze but this book i..."

My apologizes for being beyond again. Kudos! Is always awesome to find something that helps. Mahalo for sharing!

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments Aloha All,

Anyone want to share what is helping them? No pressure.

Mahalo,
RM
🇺🇸☠️

message 25: by Jason (new)

Jason Sullivan (jasonrsullivan) | 10 comments Has anyone read Anxious by Joseph LeDoux? I needed a model of the brain to get through it but it was a great book.