Austen August: A Pride and Prejudice Read-A-Long discussion

Pride and Prejudice
This topic is about Pride and Prejudice
Pride and Prejudice Read-A-Long > Pride and Prejudice- Chapter 2

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Andie (thebookheap) | 208 comments I promised two chapters a day, so here it is.

In this second short chapter, we see the fall out of Mr Bennet not going to visit Mr Bingley on his wife's nagging demands. Mrs Bennet is making little jibs at Mr Bennet for not having visited Bingley and is in a huff with him. He winds her up by pretending he has no intention of seeing Mr Bingley and inviting him to their house, when actually he was one of the first people to knock on Bingley's door and go “hey there!”.
Here we also see Elizabeth Bennet for the first time, who is trimming a hat throughout this scene while trying to reassure her mother that despite her father not visiting Bingley, they will meet him through another neighbour at a social event some time.

Mr Bennet eventually gives in and tells them that he did actually visit Bingley, and Mrs Bennet is immediately imagining all her daughters marrying him at once, I imagine at this point her eyes turn into hearts.

The Bennet females end the chapter talking about how soon Bingley is likely to come and visit them and about the upcoming ball.

Talk about high society.

Favourite Quotes:-

“Don't keep coughing so, Kitty, for heaven's sake! Have a little compassion on my nerves. You tear them to pieces.”

Mrs Bennet and her nerves again!

Once Mr Bennet has let the cat out of the bag and Mrs Bennet is happy and proclaiming it was her persuasion that made him go to visit, he also tells Kitty that “now, Kitty, you may cough as you chuse.”

Sarcastic!Bennet is the best Bennet.

Alicia (A Kernel of Nonsense) (akernelofnonsense) | 54 comments These early chapters always make me laugh. Mr. Bennet's sense of humor is very close to my own, which endears him to me.
I especially like this line: "I do not believe Mrs. Long will do any such thing. She has two nieces of her own. She is a selfish, hypocritical woman, and I have no opinion of her."

Andie (thebookheap) | 208 comments Same here, his humour is just so dry somehow so subtle at the same time, and mrs bennet either chooses to ignore it or just plain doesn't catch it!

That line amused me a lot, it's like the pot calling the kettle black! Oh Mrs Bennet...

message 4: by NE (new) - rated it 5 stars

NE | 16 comments I laughed when Mr/Mrs Bennett figured out who would the 1st to have the honor and pleasure of meeting Mr. Bingley. A small town in the 1800's or in 2014, the neighbors know your comings and goings. Not much has changed there.

Andie (thebookheap) | 208 comments my mother probably took lessons from her in curtain twitching haha

Jenny (genevieveholpepper) | 7 comments I love the way that Mr Bennett knows exactly the right way to wind up his wife! His sense of humour is extremely dry and reminds me of my grandad, so I really love this character.

Andie (thebookheap) | 208 comments Every time I read his scenes, I grow to love him more and more. I think when I first read this book, I really overlooked him as a character, in favour for the more central characters. He also reminds me so much of my dad and his dry humour.

message 8: by Rebekah (new) - added it

Rebekah (bekabeebooks) | 8 comments I like Mary's debut
'Mary wished to say something sensible, but knew not how'.
I feel like this must have happened to me countless times!

Andie (thebookheap) | 208 comments haha bless her. I wish Mary and Kitty had more character development throughout this book, there really isn't very much said about them : (

message 10: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat (mugglelover27) | 9 comments Totally agree about Mary and Kitty. I need to find some re tellings or continuations that focus on those two. I think they would make great main characters!

Jenny (genevieveholpepper) | 7 comments I'd especially like to read from Mary's point of view as she seems so different from the rest of her sisters.

Andie (thebookheap) | 208 comments I'd love to have a book of Mary's insights!

Verena | 10 comments That line about Mary is my favourite of the chapter! Oh Mr Bennet, why must you put your poor daughter on the spot like this?

Here's another of my favourite lines: "To be fond of dancing was a very certain step towards falling in love,..."
I applaud you Ms Austen! I laugh out loud a lot when I read P&P :D

Verena | 10 comments oops, that quote is from chapter 3, it seems.

Andie (thebookheap) | 208 comments mr bennet is always hilarious!