Reading the Church Fathers discussion

The Complete Julian of Norwich
This topic is about The Complete Julian of Norwich
What Our Members are Reading > Julian of Norwich

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ruth Hi all, how are you doing?
I have been reading a book that you also may find interesting, it is not by a church father, but a church mother.
Julian of Norwich wrote around 1370.

See my review of this book here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 2: by Kerstin (new)

Kerstin | 317 comments I do want to read her some time too. Not sure when this will be :)

message 3: by Nemo (new)

Nemo (nemoslibrary) | 1503 comments I also enjoyed the book.

It is available online at Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/xvirevela...

message 4: by Nemo (new)

Nemo (nemoslibrary) | 1503 comments
Seek and Trust

The continual seeking of the soul pleaseth God full greatly: for it may do no more than seek, suffer and trust. And this is wrought in the soul that hath it, by the Holy Ghost. The seeking, with faith, hope, and charity, pleaseth our Lord, and the finding pleaseth the soul and fulfilleth it with joy. It is God’s will that we seek Him, to the beholding of Him. And how a soul shall have Him in its beholding, He shall teach Himself: and that is most worship to Him and profit to thyself, thus receiving of meekness and virtues with the grace and leading of the Holy Ghost. For a soul that only resigneth itself onto God with very trust, either by seeking or in beholding, it is the most worship that it may do to Him.

Blood and Water

God hath made waters plenteous in earth to our service and to our bodily ease for tender love that He hath to us, but yet liketh Him better that we take full homely His blessed blood to wash us of sin: for there is no liquor that is made that He liketh so well to give us. For it is most plenteous as it is most precious: and that by the virtue of His blessed Godhead; and it is of our Kind, and all-blissfully overfloweth us by the virtue of His precious love. The dearworthy blood of our Lord Jesus Christ as verily as it is most precious, so verily it is most plenteous. Behold and see! The precious plenty of His dearworthy blood descended down into Hell and burst her bands and delivered all that were there which belonged to the Court of Heaven. The precious plenty of His dearworthy blood overfloweth all Earth, and is ready to wash all creatures of sin, which be of goodwill, have been, and shall be.

Christ's Passion and Glory

"If thou art pleased, I am pleased: it is a joy, a bliss, an endless satisfying to me that ever suffered I Passion for thee; and if I might suffer more, I would suffer more." He said not, If it were needful to suffer more: for though it were not needful, if He might suffer more, He would.

Beholding in this blessed Passion the love that made Him to suffer passeth as far all His pains as Heaven is above Earth. For the pains was a noble, worshipful deed done in a time by the working of love: but Love was without beginning, is, and shall be without ending.

We are not only His by His buying, but also by the courteous gift of His Father we be His bliss, we be His meed, we be His worship, we be His crown.

The Longing of God

For as verily as there is a property in God of ruth and pity, so verily there is a property in God of thirst and longing. (And of the virtue of this longing in Christ, we have to long again to Him: without which no soul cometh to Heaven.) And this property of longing and thirst cometh of the endless Goodness of God, even as the property of pity cometh of His endless Goodness. And though longing and pity are two sundry properties, as to my sight, in this standeth the point of the Spiritual Thirst: which is desire in Him as long as we be in need, drawing us up to His bliss.

No Wrath in God

For I saw no wrath but on man’s part; and that forgiveth He in us. For wrath is not else but a forwardness and a contrariness to peace and love; and either it cometh of failing of might, or of failing of wisdom, or of failing of goodness: which failing is not in God, but is on our part. For we by sin and wretchedness have in us a wretched and continuant contrariness to peace and to love.