Play Book Tag discussion

Call Me By Your Name (Call Me By Your Name, #1)
This topic is about Call Me By Your Name
Archive: Other Books > Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 5160 comments Although this is described as "romance", that's too shallow a word to describe the depth of emotion in this book. It's the story of 17-year old Elio and the summer he fell in love with 24-year old Oliver, an American guest in their Italian villa. The beauty of the landscape comes through in Aciman's writing, and that's a perfect complement to the passions that storm through this book. Anyone who has ever fallen in love, regardless of orientation, can relate to the aching silences, the wordless glances, the falsely lighthearted conversations, the agony of not knowing whether the feelings are reciprocated, before the blossoming of understanding and acceptance and the power of the eventual communion. But this is more than just a summer fling, and the author understands the deep connection between two souls, and he writes about the kind of intimacy that perhaps not everyone has experienced.

The story of the summer, told in the first two parts of the book, was like a fairy tale, all beauty and magic. The third part, which starts with their last few days in Rome before Oliver leaves to go back home, was a little jarring to me, because I really could not connect to it, but it was an interesting glimpse into a world I have never felt a desire to become familiar with. The fourth part, where they meet again 20 years later, felt warmly nostalgic and restored my sense of tranquility in the end.

I've not seen the movie, but I've heard good things about it and so am curious to check it out some day, if only to see the beautiful Italian landscapes. And I'll have to sample more of Aciman's writing.

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I saw the movie not knowing it was based on a book. The movie also displays the love affair with the scenery. I would recommend the movie.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I love your review and I love how you described love. I have not seen this movie but I would love to read this book based upon your descriptions. Oh and the Italian landscapes, that is worthy of both the book and movie.

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments In the book they meet back up 20 years later?!?! Ugh, now I am going to have to read this just for the last part.

I was a sobbing mess at the end of the movie but, as you have probably surmised, there was no meet up 20 years later.

message 5: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I didn't know this was a book! I've seen a bunch about the movie, and haven't mustered enough energy to watch it because I know I'll be a crying disaster.

Great review, I'm adding this to the TBR.