UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

The Wronged Sons
This topic is about The Wronged Sons
Meet the Authors > John Marrs/ The Wronged Sons

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

John Marrs (johnnox) | 64 comments Morning all,
I'm pretty new to Goodreads - joined here some months ago but finally got around to having a look and uploading my book.

I won't bore you all to death with the synopsis or by trying to tell you why I think you should download it as, to be frank, I get a little irritated by other people's hard-sells and the last thing you need is some newbie coming in here and banging on about how amazing they think their piece of work is.

But if you click on the book and want to know anything more about it, then ask away. It's got some pretty good reviews to date and for a debut novel, I'm quite astonished at how well it's done.

Anyone else totally underestimated how their book would do?

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments I'm an oldie here John so I'll bang on for you :@)

Started your book yesterday, finished it today and it was indeed amazing.
The premise of the husband returning after such a lengthy absence and hearing the story from his perspective as well as his wife's was both original and compelling.
It was unusual for me to enjoy a book when I so disliked the main character but somehow in this case it worked very well.
All my sympathies went to his wife, she was a truly fascinating character and so well drawn I felt I knew her personally by the time the book ended and what an ending you gave us.
You have now been added to my favourite authors list.

Thanks for a great read!

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Oh! If Sarah likes it I might have to have a read! :)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Get clicking Kath, you know you want to ;@)!

Just make sure you have nothing planned for the time it will take to read it (approx. 6 hrs.) as it's hard to set aside once you start.

John Marrs (johnnox) | 64 comments Hey Sarah, I'm really really chuffed that you enjoyed it! Personally, I loved writing Simon's character as I could go as far as I wanted with him, then try to redeem him, then show that he still blamed everyone for else for his choices. He was fun! Thanks so much for downloading it and commenting here. It means a lot to a new writer.

message 6: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments you sound like a good bloke John - a good bloke that knows how to write too! Good luck with everything!

John Marrs (johnnox) | 64 comments It's all a disguise Stuart, I'm actually a puppy kicking sociopath. And when I'm not throwing kittens in wheelie bins, I'm attempting to write books. But thanks for the good wishes my friend!

message 8: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Ayris (stuayris) | 2692 comments glad to hear it!

John Marrs (johnnox) | 64 comments I feel a bit of a fraud starting this thread in 'Meet The Authors' though as it's my only book so far. Most other people seem to have a healthy library of work behind them before they call themselves 'an author.'

message 10: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments You'll find people calling themselves an author on the strength of a contribution to an anthology. Trust me, you qualify!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments 2 anthologies! Honest...

message 12: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Marrs (johnnox) | 64 comments Lol! Do people really do that?!

In the real world, I work as a journalist so I know I can call myself a writer. But I'll get another couple of books under my belt before I profess to be an author!

message 13: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Just bought! :)

message 14: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Marrs (johnnox) | 64 comments Thanks Kath! Refunds will be offered via postal orders and luncheon vouchers if you hate it.

message 15: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments I don't hate it! (Hmm... Luncheon vouchers...)

message 16: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Marrs (johnnox) | 64 comments Will you accept Haribo instead of luncheon vouchers?

message 17: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Nope. I'm 65 and I've still got my own teeth!

message 18: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Marrs (johnnox) | 64 comments You're just too hard to please Kath....

message 19: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments I am! (You've got mail!)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Watch out! This author is a zombie pigeon.

message 21: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments I ain't 'fraid o' no... actually, I probably am!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I mean, zombie pigeon poo on your hair??

message 23: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Marrs (johnnox) | 64 comments How do you know the title of my next book, Ginger? Have you been hacking into my email accounts again?

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Well since you were lurking in my garden...

message 25: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Marrs (johnnox) | 64 comments Damn it. This stalking thing just ain't my bag.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Plenty of stalks in my garden already.

message 27: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Marrs (johnnox) | 64 comments Overgrown bush?

message 28: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Deary me! Before this deteriorates any further, have you had a message from me? I'm on target to finish tonight. It's a heck of a story.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments There a thriving colony of refugee weeds.

message 30: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Marrs (johnnox) | 64 comments Lol, I don't think so Kath but I'm on my mobile today with intermittent signal. I hope you are enjoying it.

message 31: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments It's a private message on this forum. It'll show up as a dark envelope in the top right hand corner.

message 32: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Marrs (johnnox) | 64 comments Ooh that sounds mysterious! I'll have a look when I get home.

message 33: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Excellent - review below. :)

http://www.ignitebooks.blogspot.co.uk...

message 34: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Marrs (johnnox) | 64 comments Thanks again Kath. Really appreciate it. Xx

message 35: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1603 comments Hi John!

Just downloaded your book on the strength of your author bio and Kath's recommendation. I look forward to reading it!

What's the secret to your debut novel's success?! :)

message 36: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Marrs (johnnox) | 64 comments Hey Jonathan, thanks so much! If you hate it, it's all Kath's fault. Not sure how, but she's an adorable scapegoat.

The secret to my success? ha! Let me get a few more books under my belt as I'm probably a one hit wonder!

message 37: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments If that means I'm a Capricorn, guilty as charge, M'lud. Jonathan, like Sarah, shares my taste in books. So all this is Sarah's fault!

You'd better not be a one hit wonder! I'm waiting for more.

message 38: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1603 comments I could never blame Sarah for anything, not after her FAG review! :)

I'm pretty sure I won't hate it, John. I don't buy books if I think I'll detest them!

Are you writing anything at the moment?

message 39: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Marrs (johnnox) | 64 comments Yes, I'm working on a story set in a backpacking hostel in LA with an ensemble cast of characters. It's quite different to The Wronged Sons.
How about yourself?
FAG has piqued my curiosity ....

message 40: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1603 comments That sounds good! That sort of setting has lots of potential.

Now I've recovered from writing FAG(!), I'm working on my second novel, the genre of which is not defined yet! A sort of thriller where you can't pin the lead character down.

message 41: by Kath (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments FAG's a stonking book, John. Have a look at the blurb and some reviews.

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Looks like plenty more good books in the offing. I'm a happy bunny!
Great review Kath!

message 43: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Marrs (johnnox) | 64 comments FAG is downloaded!

message 44: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1603 comments John wrote: "FAG is downloaded!"

Ooh. Thanks, John! Really hope you enjoy!