Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > Weekly updates & scoreboard

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jen (last edited Sep 17, 2018 10:25AM) (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
This challenge begins on July 2. You may NOT start reading prior to the start date. Use this time to start your travel prep.

Update September 17
Travel hub for the week: Italy
Weather delay: No more delays for the final weeks
Traveler delay: No more traveler delays for the final month.
Creativity points: @bookandcat, the Other Diane (goodreads), @Simona, and Kelly (GoodReads). You each get an extra 2 points added to your score.
Special challenge: As we wrap up the challenge, it's time for you to create your travel scrapbooks of places visited. This challenge will close on the last day of the challenge (Sept 30). You must create some kind of log, photo "album", to show off the countries visited, books read, or landmarks. Show us your favorite and least favorite stops, show us where you traveled and some of the highlights (best books, etc.)

This special challenge is open to all participants. If you complete this challenge, you get to add a whopping 10 points to your final score. You can use bullet journal, photo collage, diary logs, maps, etc. If you are on Litsy, you may use several posts to fully illustrate your travels.
-------------

September 10
Travel hub for the week: Denmark
Weather delay: Scotland and Ukraine
Traveler delay: No more traveler delays for the final month.

scoreboard (1001 points only) I'm still updating scores.

Diane -72 (plus pending museum points. updated 9/11)
Kelly - 31 (still calculating)
Tatjana - 9 (updated 9/11)
The Other Jen - 6 (updated 9/11)
Hilde - 4 (1001 points: updated 9/11)
Parzival 4 (2 points for Regatta special events & 2 1001 books)
Kristel -3 (1001 points: updated 9/11)
Jen - 3
Jamie - 2
Liz M -1
Charisma - 4 (updated 9/11)

message 2: by Jen (last edited Jul 01, 2018 06:24PM) (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
And we are off. You should all be in air on your way to your first travel destination. You may start reading as soon as it is July 2 in your time zone.

Your first book will be the location you arrive. You are considered to be in a country once you have started reading the book for that country. It is a good idea to update where you are since some mini-challenges will earn you points if you have started the book for that country.

Good luck everyone! Also if you are on Litsy, make sure to check out all the posts people have been making already. Just search the hashtag: #backpackEurope

message 3: by Jen (last edited Jul 01, 2018 06:35PM) (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
UPDATE about PP

Since this challenge could result in huge number of points, the points you gain for this challenge won't automatically translate into PP. The points accrued for this challenge will be used for allocation of prizes only. The winner in this group will get an Amazon gift card and prize pack of books. Runners up will get extra participation points. All players who complete the challenge (arrive home and have read at least 4 books before Sept 30) will get extra participation points awarded at the end.

So how do you track participation points for your personal threads? 1 point per book read like we do for "other" reads. At the end of the challenge we will award additional participation points based on how you place in this group.

First place: 40 participation points (amazon gift card & prize pack of books)
Second place 35 participation points
Third place 30 participation points
Fourth place 25 participation points
All who complete the challenge: 15 participation points

Questions?

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Just to confirm. When I read a list book for this challenge, I do not give myself one participation point on my normal points thread - only on the challenge thread. Correct?

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Kelly wrote: "Just to confirm. When I read a list book for this challenge, I do not give myself one participation point on my normal points thread - only on the challenge thread. Correct?"

any book you read, you may count as 1 participation point for your normal thread.

For the challenge thread it's also 1 point unless it's a landmark read too. So in the challenge thread you'll be logging books, any mini challenge points, any extra creativity points, and any additional landmark points.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Jen wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Just to confirm. When I read a list book for this challenge, I do not give myself one participation point on my normal points thread - only on the challenge thread. Correct?"

any boo..."

Thanks for the clarification!

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Special Event/challenge alert: The Henley Regatta

Who qualifies? All participants who are currently in England may participate. This means you are currently reading a book for England or have finished your England book but have not started your next country. If you are currently elsewhere in Europe you may not participate.

The task: You have been invited to attend the famous Henley Royal Regatta. Pimm's drinks are a staple of the Regatta. To pick up the points you must, make a Pimm's or other related cocktail (a cocktail that would be appropriate for the event) or mocktail (if you don't drink) and post a photo of that drink with the copy of your England book. Be creative!

Dates: begins today and closes on July 8 (the final day of the regatta). You must complete the challenge by end of day July 8 You can read about the event here: https://www.hrr.co.uk

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Delays and travel hub have been posted.

Traveler delays: Just to put things in perspective, the majority of participants read 0-1 book in week 1 so their names were only added 0-1 times. Kelly and Diane read a lot of books in week 1 so it’s not surprising that they were delayed. I posted a photo on Litsy that showed the randomizer pick of their names.

I will announce creativity points tomorrow morning - 2 winners are selected each week. One person from this group is one of the winners.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Okay! TIme for other challenge books. :)

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Jen - I finished my Sweden book tonight. Do I wait until next week to post it?

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Kelly wrote: "Jen - I finished my Sweden book tonight. Do I wait until next week to post it?"

No, you can post it now

message 12: by Jen (last edited Jul 09, 2018 04:08AM) (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Update: creativity points:

This week’s winners are:
The other Diane
Simona (Litsy)

You each get 1 extra point for creativity this week

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Congrats ladies!

message 14: by Jen (last edited Jul 12, 2018 04:46AM) (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Special Event/challenge alert: Ghent Festival.
Those lucky enough to be in Belgium from today until Sunday will be able to attend the famous Ghent street festival, a unique event and giant party with free music, street performances, parades and more.
Who qualifies: Participants currently in Belgium or travelers who arrive in Belgium before the end of the week.
The challenge: create a playlist for your Belgium book and post it. Must include at least 7 songs.
Points: If you successfully complete your challenge you will earn 2 extra points.

message 15: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 194 comments Jen wrote: "Who qualifies: Participants currently in Belgium or travelers who arrive in Belgium before the end of the week..."

Does the challenge does need to be completed by Sunday? Or can I travel to Belgium on Sunday, start reading the book, and complete the challenge a few days later?

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen | 111 comments Jen wrote: "Special Event/challenge alert: Ghent Festival.
Those lucky enough to be in Belgium from today until Sunday will be able to attend the famous Ghent street festival, a unique event and giant party w..."

I have a question: I finished my UK book and declared my intent to travel to Belgium next. But my belgium book (which I ordered) hasn't arrived yet, so I haven't started reading. Where am I? Do I remain in the UK until I start reading for Belgium?

message 17: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Jen wrote: "Jen wrote: "Special Event/challenge alert: Ghent Festival.
Those lucky enough to be in Belgium from today until Sunday will be able to attend the famous Ghent street festival, a unique event and g..."

Yes, technically you are in the UK until you crack open the next book. Sorry, I didn’t see this question until just now.

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Update July 16
Travel hub for the week: Italy
Weather delay: Monaco and Turkey
Traveler delay: Parzival (goodreads) & Book and Cat (Litsy & blog)
Special Event/challenge alert: TBA. Keep checking daily!
Creativity points winners: TBA at noon EST.

Once again the two participants who read the greatest number of books were both selected by the randomizer so lesson to all participants should be to keep with pace of the group (1-2 books per week) if you want to decrease your odds of being delayed.

Parzival has returned home already so the delay doesn’t really impact him. I will be updating the scoreboard here later today

message 19: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Liz M wrote: "Jen wrote: "Who qualifies: Participants currently in Belgium or travelers who arrive in Belgium before the end of the week..."

Does the challenge does need to be completed by Sunday? Or can I trav..."

I’m so sorry, for some reason I didn’t get these notifications. The challenges must be completed in the time frame listed bc they are linked to time sensitive events. However since I didn’t respond to you, I’ll allow you to submit it by end of today.

message 20: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 194 comments Jen wrote: "Liz M wrote: "Jen wrote: "Who qualifies: Participants currently in Belgium or travelers who arrive in Belgium before the end of the week..."

Does the challenge does need to be completed by Sunday?..."

No worries, I haven't started, let alone completed, a Belgium book. But it's good to know the challenges must be completed in a very short time frame -- I don't read as many books/as fast as most of the other participants.

message 21: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Liz M wrote: "Jen wrote: "Liz M wrote: "Jen wrote: "Who qualifies: Participants currently in Belgium or travelers who arrive in Belgium before the end of the week..."

Does the challenge does need to be complete..."

The books don’t need to be read in that time, the only thing that needs to be completed is the extra activity - in this case the playlist. But you don’t need to finish the book to get the challenge points

message 22: by Jen (last edited Jul 16, 2018 06:08PM) (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Creativity points: This week there were so many great posts that it was virtually impossible to pick winners. In fact we flipped a coin to pick between two contestants to pick one of the winners. and without further ado...

Hilde for creativity in the face of being stuck. Honorable mention (but no points) goes to Kelly who also did a great job updating despite being stuck

Mabell (Litsy) who updated on Litsy and her blog. You can see her posts here: http://www.graymyrtle.com/book-blog/2...

Congrats ladies! Hilde and Mabell you both get 1 extra point.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Congrats Hilde! I agree -- I loved your rainy posts.

Jen -- I see your points for me are not the same as I show. Did I miss something?

message 24: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Kelly wrote: "Congrats Hilde! I agree -- I loved your rainy posts.

Jen -- I see your points for me are not the same as I show. Did I miss something?"

I haven’t updated the scores yet

message 25: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 356 comments Jen wrote: "Creativity points: This week there were so many great posts that it was virtually impossible to pick winners. In fact we flipped a coin to pick between two contestants to pick one of the winners. a..."

Thanks, that is so nice:) I love seeing all the fun postings both here and on Litsy, it's a great challenge!

message 26: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 356 comments Kelly wrote: "Congrats Hilde! I agree -- I loved your rainy posts."

Thanks, Kelly! I loved seeing your delay posts as well, so fun:)

message 27: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Check the blog update (on the top of the challenge page) or Litsy to see the special challenge this week. I'll be adding the details here later this afternoon since I'm in meetings the rests of the day.

For participants in France

message 28: by Jen (last edited Jul 23, 2018 04:20AM) (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
All the updates have been posted.

We have our first traveler who has been delayed again: Diane. You may finish the book for your current country. Then you must stop until the following week.

Once again, the two people selected are people who read more than 1 book over the week.

Please note that from here on, special events points will ONLY be open to travelers who are visiting a country for the first time.

message 29: by Jen (last edited Jul 23, 2018 10:40AM) (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I do want to warn everyone that this year, we are mean moderators because we are liberally rejecting landmark points. Remember, you need to get them approved by us to claim the points.

We envision the landmarks as added difficulty challenges and put them in place to make it hard to get.

If you get a landmark rejected, you may try again with a different book. You won't get the point for reading the book but you can pick up the 4 extras for that landmark with a non-list book or another 1001 book that does mention the landmark.

message 30: by Kristel (last edited Jul 23, 2018 01:02PM) (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4263 comments Mod
Jen, I did read a 1001 book, Rob Roy which I am pretty sure is a 1001 book. (Scotland). If I am wrong, let me know. And I’ve read a total of 3 books, 2 non 1001 and 1 from 1001.

message 31: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Kristel wrote: "Jen, I did read a 1001 book, Rob Roy which I am pretty sure is a 1001 book. (Scotland). If I am wrong, let me know. And I’ve read a total of 3 books, 2 non 1001 and 1 from 1001."

I’m sorry, I missed that. I will correct it when I get home.

message 32: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Has my landmark been rejected? A large part of the book was set in the landmark, I don't understand.

message 33: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Update posted.

message 34: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Diane wrote: "Has my landmark been rejected? A large part of the book was set in the landmark, I don't understand."

Which landmark?

message 35: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Jen wrote: "Diane wrote: "Has my landmark been rejected? A large part of the book was set in the landmark, I don't understand."

Which landmark?"

For France. Old Bones was mostly set in Mont Saint Michel.

message 36: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Diane wrote: "Jen wrote: "Diane wrote: "Has my landmark been rejected? A large part of the book was set in the landmark, I don't understand."

Which landmark?"

For France. Old Bones was mostly set ..."

Ok, let me check. I will get back to you

message 37: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
update posted

message 38: by Jen (new)

Jen (bookandcat) | 2 comments Hi! This is @bookandcat on Litsy. Question about the food challenge - do you have to make the food in order of stage (e.g. must cook appetizer then entree before you can and post cook dessert) or can you go in any order? And the appetizer is cooked as well, correct? (Just clarifying as it says "cook" for the other two)

message 39: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Jen wrote: "Hi! This is @bookandcat on Litsy. Question about the food challenge - do you have to make the food in order of stage (e.g. must cook appetizer then entree before you can and post cook dessert) or c..."

You can do any order. Appetizer should be something homemade

message 40: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I apologize. Got a late start to the day. I will post the update around noon today

message 41: by Jen (new)

Jen (bookandcat) | 2 comments posted request for landmark verification (with proof) on Litsy (@bookandcat)

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments I apologize for my absence the last week... life has gotten in the way.

message 43: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I am behind on everything (sorry juggling too many things. Updates posted. I have NOT updated the scoreboard. I hope to do so later this week. If I haven't updated your landmarks, bug me about it. I'm swamped in emails and notifications.

message 44: by Charisma (new)

Charisma (deadlikeme) | 96 comments Jen wrote: "Charisma - 1"

Hi Jen, I'm wondering why I only have 1 point here? I've just added another book today, but even yesterday I had two books read, and both were 1001 books, so not sure if you missed the second book, or there is some other explanation.

Thanks.

message 45: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Charisma wrote: "Jen wrote: "Charisma - 1"

Hi Jen, I'm wondering why I only have 1 point here? I've just added another book today, but even yesterday I had two books read, and both were 1001 books, so not sure if ..."

It’s too much work for me to update the scoreboard every week. So I will be updating it within the next week. I’m tracking over 100 people and over 500+ posts a week across the multiple platforms. So your scores will be updated, I just can’t do it regularly or I’d be spending hours each week just tabulating. In the final week I will post when scoreboard is complete and will ask everyone to double check their own scores

message 46: by Charisma (new)

Charisma (deadlikeme) | 96 comments Jen wrote: "So your scores will be updated, I just can’t do it regularly or I’d be spending hours each week just tabulating. In the final week I will post when scoreboard is complete and will ask everyone to double check their own scores"

Oh, no worries then. I just thought I missed something :)
And I wouldn't have to worry much as I'm nowhere near the top contestants :)

This summer has been quite busy in real life for me to have much time for reading. But I absolutely love the push of your summer games to make me read at least a few 1001 books a year :)

Thank you.

message 47: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4263 comments Mod
I think my score should be higher.

message 48: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I'm so sorry. I've been home sick for a few days (nothing serious) and am behind. I will post the updates tomorrow am. Scoreboard will also be updated by tomorrow so you can all check your scores then and can let me know if they are correct.

They are NOT currently up to date so don't be concerned about your scores yet.

message 49: by Charisma (new)

Charisma (deadlikeme) | 96 comments Jen, about the weather delay: if I finish Finnish book, I am not to start the next one till next Monday, right?

message 50: by Charisma (new)

Charisma (deadlikeme) | 96 comments Hi Jen, hope you're feeling better.

Can you double-check if Bulgakov can be considered for Ukraine? He was born in Kiev (then The Russian Empire, but currently - Ukraine) and lived there for quite a while. So I do consider him being a Ukrainian writer. Just need to know if you gals will accept that explanation.

Thanks.

« previous 1