Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > Instructions and Rules

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jen (last edited Jul 19, 2018 12:40PM) (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Welcome to our summer 2018 reading challenge where together we will read our way across Europe! The goal of the challenge is to backpack (a.k.a. read) across Europe and amass the highest points. The challenge will begin July 2 and will end September 30 at midnight EST.

NOTE: We (Book Worm) and I are hosting this challenge for several groups with the central location being on our blog. You can win prizes there but we will also be hosting a version here with a separate prize for 1001 group members. Instructions will be the same both places EXCEPT to qualify for the prize here, only 1001 books will count toward your score.

How to play:
All players will begin in their home country and will fly to one of the following airports: Heathrow (UK), Charles de Gaulle (France), or Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (Netherlands). Once you arrive you must read a book from that country in order to begin your travels and move on to the next country.

To travel across the Europe you must read and review books corresponding to each country that you visit. The book either must be predominantly set in that country or the author has to be from that country. You will be awarded points for each country that you visit. To fully participate you must travel to at least 4 European countries prior to arriving back home. You must move across the continent in the same way you would travel over land (or sea if traveling from UK or an island)— you can’t skip over countries (see exception below).

To move across a continent you must complete your book and post a review.

Four bonus points will be awarded for visiting landmarks. To get credit for visiting a landmark, you must be able to draw a link between your book and the landmark. This can be a quote, a reference to a historical event, a central theme of the book, or another type of tie-in (character in the book visits the location, etc). A moderator will determine whether the reason you provide is sufficient to merit the landmark points. The landmarks are the following:

-Mont-Saint-Michel
-Alhambra
-Parthenon:
-The Charles Bridge, Prague
-La Grand-Place, Brussels
-Brandenburg Gate
-The Gran Bazaar, Istanbul
-Old city of Dubrovnik
-Buda Castle

Your trip will end when you arrive back in your home country and complete a book for your home country. To travel back to your home country, you must depart from one of the following airports: Frankfurt (Germany), Istanbul (Turkey), or Adolfo Suarez Madrid (Spain).

Travel Exceptions: Each Monday (starting July 2) three types of major events will happen that can impact your game. One event type will advance your game and the other two event types will delay you. In addition, a fourth type of event will pop up periodically and could help you.

1.Travel hubs: Each Monday we will use random.org to select 1 country that will become a travel hub for the week (Monday-Sunday). If you arrive in this country any time in the week it is the designated travel hub, you will be able to move to any other European country from that travel hub. In order to take advantage of this opportunity you must declare that you are using the travel hub and where you are going before the end of the week.
2.Travel delays: Two randomly selected participants will be picked each Monday to experience a travel delay. If you are selected, then you will not be able to advance to a new country until the following Monday. You can finish your current book but will not be able to start a new book until your travel restriction is lifted. You may be delayed multiple times throughout the game. We want you to take your time "traveling" and enjoying the sites. Speeding through countries too fast may result in more frequent travel delays. Each week players' names will be entered into the randomizer for travel delays based on how many countries they visited in the prior week. So if you didn't complete any books your name won't be entered into the randomizer but if you complete 5 books in a week, your name will be entered 5 times and the likelihood that you will be delayed will increase.
3.Weather warning. Two countries will be randomly selected as blackout countries each Monday. This means that for that week, you will be unable to travel through that country. If you are already in that country when the weather warning occurs, you may finish your current book but may not start your next country until the blackout is over. If you are adjacent to that country and want to travel through it, you must either wait until the end of the week OR find a alternate route.
4.Special events. At periodic times through the challenge, special events will be announced that impact a specific country. If you happen to be located in that country in the week of the special event, you will have the opportunity to participate in a special (non-reading) mini-challenge to earn more points.

Additional Rules:
You may not start reading until July 2
•You can only read one book/country at a time.
•You may only get points for a country once. If you travel through it again, you need to read a new book in order to pass through the country BUT you will not get points for reading that book. We suggest you plan a trip that avoids visiting the same country more than once.
•You must complete the book and write a mini review BEFORE you move onto the next country.
•Please keep track of your own score on this page. You can start a thread for yourself by posting a comment with your name. Take a look at the example I posted for myself.
•Books must be over 120 pages.

Travel by Ferry. We are limiting ferry travel. You are backpacking through Europe and are strapped for cash so you can’t afford to travel by Ferry or airline. You may use ferry for the following:
–Iceland to and from Norway & any UK country
–UK (we will allow any UK country to count) to and from France
–Greece to and from Italy

Be Creative and make it fun!
For a truly immersive experience, go the extra mile. Post photos, journal entries, maps, quotes, etc! Photoshop yourself into travel pictures, write short stories about your experiences "visiting" each country. We want you to tell your travel story. You can post your updates on Litsy (but make sure to tag both me @jenP and @bookwormM and use #backpackEurope. You can also post your journey on your own blogs, goodreads, or instagram - just make sure to let us know here so we see the posts.

NOTE: we are giving away prizes for this competition on our blog and also have a special prize for 1001 members only. You may participate on the blog too but if you play both places you have to start a thread for yourself in both places. For the 1001 prize, only 1001 books will count toward your score. The link to the blog is: https://thereadersroom.org/summer-201...

-1 point for completing a 1001 book/country (book read and reviewed).
-4 bonus points if the book is tied to a landmark
-additional points possible for mini challenges/activities that I post sporadically.

Any questions?

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
We highly recommend that you join Litsy and follow along there since it will be fun to see how other players post their travel updates.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments I will try this... it sounds fun. Is there anyplace that gives information about where the 1001 books are set? I am not knowledgeable about this.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Kelly wrote: "I will try this... it sounds fun. Is there anyplace that gives information about where the 1001 books are set? I am not knowledgeable about this."

I don’t think so. You’ll have to ask for help or suggestions as you travel. I’m sure other group members will help out. Kristel - do we still have the excel sheet that lists the countries for each book?

message 5: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments I will also try to join this challenge ;)

For finding information on countries I am using link below, which Diane provided some time ago.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

It is very helpful...

message 6: by Liz M (last edited Jun 06, 2018 05:27AM) (new)

Liz M | 194 comments Oh, I love a good back-packing challenge! But I have had trouble before due to shifting country boundaries as the map of Europe has been redrawn quite a few times. So for the countries where an author is born, is it the modern day equivalent? Or the country in which they were born? Or either?

Bruno Schulz Born in Drohobycz (formerly Poland), Ukraine
Franz Kafka Born in Prague, Austria-Hungary
Italo Svevo Born in Trieste (formerly of Austria), Italy
Dubravka Ugrešić Born in Kutina (formerly of Yugoslavia), Croatia

And I suppose the same question can apply to setting -- if a book takes place in what was then Poland, but is now Ukraine....? Or if a book takes place in a fictional city in Czechoslovakia, but it is hard to determine if it is the Czech Republic or Slovakia ....?

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Liz M wrote: "Oh, I love a good back-packing challenge! But I have had trouble before due to shifting country boundaries as the map of Europe has been redrawn quite a few times. So for the countries where an aut..."

Either.

message 8: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 194 comments Jen wrote: "Either."

Thanks for the quick reply! And for it being the most flexible option :D

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1315 comments Mod
Tatjana wrote: "I will also try to join this challenge ;)

For finding information on countries I am using link below, which Diane provided some time ago.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/......"

This list is fantastic. Thank you for posting.

message 10: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1481 comments This sounds such a fun challenge, but as I will actually be travelling in Europe I know I won't have time for this. I would like to post in Litsy some of the actual places I will be, if that is OK, only the ones with literary connections, of course!

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Tatjana wrote: "I will also try to join this challenge ;)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/......"

thanks!

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Can you tell me about how I track points? I see 4 points for tying a book to a landmark ... but what are the points for reading a book?

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Can the UK be separated into England, Scotland, and Wales?

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Diane wrote: "Can the UK be separated into England, Scotland, and Wales?"

Yes

message 15: by Jen (last edited Jun 06, 2018 04:31PM) (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Kelly wrote: "Can you tell me about how I track points? I see 4 points for tying a book to a landmark ... but what are the points for reading a book?"

1 point for reading a book, add four if the book you read is tied to the landmark

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Jen wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Can you tell me about how I track points? I see 4 points for tying a book to a landmark ... but what are the points for reading a book?"

1 point for reading a book, add four if the b..."

Thanks.

message 17: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4259 comments Mod
Jen wrote: "Kelly wrote: "I will try this... it sounds fun. Is there anyplace that gives information about where the 1001 books are set? I am not knowledgeable about this."

I don’t think so. You’ll have to as..."

I thought I had some link or something with countries and will keep looking for where I might have put it but you can use this link. It is a different group that keeps tracks of books by country and this one is specific to 1001 but there may be errors.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 18: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Also, the other 1001 group has the author origins (not settings) listed by country in their bookshelf:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

It isn't 100% accurate, but helpful nonetheless.

message 19: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Pip wrote: "This sounds such a fun challenge, but as I will actually be travelling in Europe I know I won't have time for this. I would like to post in Litsy some of the actual places I will be, if that is OK,..."

absolutely. I look forward to seeing your photos!

message 20: by Kristel (new)

Here’s a list of countries from 2013 Globetrot
¥ Japan
Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami or
Thousand Cranes by Yasunari Kawabata or
The Sound of Waves by Yukio Mishima [≡] or
Crossfire by Miyuki Miyabe

France
Reveries of a Solitary Walker by Jean-Jacques Rousseau or
The Temptation of Saint Anthony by Gustave Flaubert or
The 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade or
Jacques the Fatalist by Denis Diderot [≡]

Ireland
The Bell by Iris Murdoch or
The Butcher Boy by Patrick McCabe [≡] or
The Book of Evidence by John Banville or
That They May Face the Rising Sun by John McGahern

Greece
The Late-Night News by Petros Markaris [≡] or
Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis or
Astradeni by Eugenia Fakinou or
Z by Vassilis Vassilikos

Mexico
The Burning Plain and Other Stories by Juan Rulfo [≡] or
Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel or
The Labyrinth of Solitude by Octavio Paz or
The Underdogs by Mariano Azuela

Russia
A Hero of Our Time by Mikhail Yurevich Lermontov or
Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky or
Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin or
Spring Torrents by Ivan Turgenev

USA
The Blithedale Romance by Nathaniel Hawthorne or
The Glimpses of the Moon by Edith Wharton or
The Enormous Room by E. E. Cummings or
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

India
The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga or
Clear Light of Day by Anita Desai or
Untouchable by Mulk Raj Anand or
The Guide by R. K. Narayan

Sweden
The Book About Blanche and Marie by Per Olov Enquist or
Simon and the Oaks by Marianne Fredriksson or
The People of Hemsö by August Strindberg or
Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell

Germany
Billiards at Half-Past Nine by Heinrich Böll or
The Blindness of the Heart by Julia Franck or
Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse or
Jacob the Liar by Jurek Becker

Australia
Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally
Vernon God Little by D. B. C. Pierre
The Tree of Man by Patrick White
Jack Maggs by Peter Carey

Italy
The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
The Tartar Steppe by Dino Buzzati
Zeno's Conscience by Italo Svevo
Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino

message 21: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1481 comments I started to make a list of the authors from the countries I will visit, but this list is wonderful. Thanks so much for pointing it out.

message 22: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Just to clarify - we can only travel over water for island nations? Would it be possible to use water to travel to 1001 countries otherwise surrounded by non-1001 countries. For example, Albania is only connected to one other 1001 country (Greece), so traveling to it would be a dead-end. Logical water passages to Italy, Bosnia, or Croatia exist, however. It would be helpful if we could include small passages via water to include countries that might otherwise be excluded.

message 23: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Diane wrote: "Just to clarify - we can only travel over water for island nations? Would it be possible to use water to travel to 1001 countries otherwise surrounded by non-1001 countries. For example, Albania is..."

I need to think about it and will get back to you

message 24: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Diane wrote: "Just to clarify - we can only travel over water for island nations? Would it be possible to use water to travel to 1001 countries otherwise surrounded by non-1001 countries. For example, Albania is..."

Diane, Albania is also bordering Serbia (via Kosovo), so you could use that passage also.

message 25: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Jen, is it possible to return home by land, instead of plane ?
I was thinking of Eastern Europe journey, so I could also use the same Greece, Albania, Serbia land route to return home ...

message 26: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Diane wrote: "Just to clarify - we can only travel over water for island nations? Would it be possible to use water to travel to 1001 countries otherwise surrounded by non-1001 countries. For example, Albania is..."

Or you could go from Albania to Malta (Vera Brittain) or Cyprus (if there is any 1001 book) and than further on...

message 27: by Liz M (last edited Jun 17, 2018 05:44AM) (new)

Liz M | 194 comments Diane wrote: "Just to clarify - we can only travel over water for island nations? Would it be possible to use water to travel to 1001 countries otherwise surrounded by non-1001 countries. For example, Albania is..."

Oooh, thanks for asking! I just assumed we could take ferries. Otherwise the only way to Sweden/Finland/Norway is via Denmark (looks like there might be a bridge?) or Russia. And I didn't think Russia was a European country.

message 28: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Tatjana wrote: "Diane wrote: "Just to clarify - we can only travel over water for island nations? Would it be possible to use water to travel to 1001 countries otherwise surrounded by non-1001 countries. For examp..."

Is Kosovo still considered part of Serbia or is it an independent country? I know it isn't recognized by everyone, so I am unsure how to count it.

message 29: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana JP | 294 comments Diane wrote: "Tatjana wrote: "Diane wrote: "Just to clarify - we can only travel over water for island nations? Would it be possible to use water to travel to 1001 countries otherwise surrounded by non-1001 coun..."

Well, political issue of Kosovo and Metohija was not resolved so far, and their unilaterally declared independence is not recognized by the Republic of Serbia, UN and many UN Members. It is, therefore, considered to represent southern province of the Republic of Serbia.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Diane wrote: "Just to clarify - we can only travel over water for island nations? Would it be possible to use water to travel to 1001 countries otherwise surrounded by non-1001 countries. For example, Albania is..."

Great question! I was assuming I could use water to get from Sweden back to the mainland, for another example. Otherwise I have to go through Russia and there are several countries there that do not have list books. I also planned to go from Albania to Greece to Turkey to Bulgaria -- but that was the only possible route without using water.

message 31: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Tatjana wrote: "Jen, is it possible to return home by land, instead of plane ?
I was thinking of Eastern Europe journey, so I could also use the same Greece, Albania, Serbia land route to return home ..."

yes. I will allow that

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Jen, I think I need your decision on some of the above with my specific route.

1. If I go into Spain can I take a ferry to Italy to avoid backtracking through France?

2. If I go through Norway and Sweden can I take a ferry into Europe?

3. And the biggest one is a political problem. Kosovo is recognized by 111 members of the UN as its own country, but not by the rest. If it is considered its own country (and it doesn't have a list book), my only route into Greece from Serbia is Bulgaria because I cannot get to Albania. Then I can go out through Turkey but need to use water to get to Romania from Turkey or backtrack through Bulgaria. The US recognizes Kosovo. I don't want the challenge to be an international incident -- but I also want to follow the rules. :) And I just want to read books from as many countries as possible.

message 33: by Jen (last edited Jun 17, 2018 02:32PM) (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I'm inclined to deny most ferry requests for a couple reasons. First almost every country is connected to at least one other country so if you choose to travel to a country with a difficult exit then that is your choice and you must figure out how to exit even if that means having to read a country twice (but remember you only get points for each country the first time). Second, you can read non-1001 books to help you move across the map (for example if you arrive in an country whose only exit is a country without a 1001 book) but you only get points for 1001 books. Fourth, I will allow participants to use Russia if needed.

Ferries will be allowed:
between Ireland and any UK country
England and France
Other requests on a case by case basis (but I will likely say no).

To travel to Finland/Swedan/Norway you may enter/exit through Denmark (to Sweden) or Russia

message 34: by Jen (last edited Jun 17, 2018 02:27PM) (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Kelly wrote: "Jen, I think I need your decision on some of the above with my specific route.

1. If I go into Spain can I take a ferry to Italy to avoid backtracking through France?
No

2. If I go through Norway and Sweden can I take a ferry into Europe?
See my message above. You can enter/exit from Denmark to Sweden or through Russia (Which I'm allowing for this challenge).

3. And the biggest one is a political problem. Kosovo is recognized by 111 members of the UN as its own country, but not by the rest. If it is considered its own country (and it doesn't have a list book), my only route into Greece from Serbia is Bulgaria because I cannot get to Albania. Then I can go out through Turkey but need to use water to get to Romania from Turkey or backtrack through Bulgaria. The US recognizes Kosovo. I don't want the challenge to be an international incident -- but I also want to follow the rules. :) And I just want to read books from as many countries as possible.

You may treat Kosovo as you wish. I will except either

message 35: by Jen (last edited Jun 17, 2018 02:26PM) (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
So here's my general sentiment: the challenge is meant to be hard, and we are trying to level the playing field so that it doesn't become simply a race to read through every single country. We don't want the fastest readers speed-reading through everything and not giving other readers a chance. This is why I"m making it harder to speed through. If you choose a challenging route, you must be prepared to potentially read countries more than once (or use non 1001 books) that won't get you points. Similarly, the more books you read in one week, the more likely that you will get picked for a travel delay.

The point is to pick carefully, take your time, and enjoy the list. The goal isn't to read every single country but rather to be smart about how you pick your route.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments I never thought about reading a non-1001 books book. Thanks! I don't really care about the points, I just want as many countries as possible as it is a personal goal to diversify.

What about Iceland? I planned to go there from Wales and go into Norway. Does that work for you?

message 37: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Kelly wrote: "I never thought about reading a non-1001 books book. Thanks! I don't really care about the points, I just want as many countries as possible as it is a personal goal to diversify.

What about Icela..."

Yes, that is fine.

message 38: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Do Armenia and Georgia count? They are technically part of Europe.

message 39: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 220 comments If I live in Europe, does my travels finish if I enter my home country by travelling from a neighboring country, or only if I enter my home country by taking a flight from one of the exit hubs?

message 40: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Paula wrote: "If I live in Europe, does my travels finish if I enter my home country by travelling from a neighboring country, or only if I enter my home country by taking a flight from one of the exit hubs?"

If you live in Europe, you may return to your home country over land if you wish.

message 41: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Diane wrote: "Do Armenia and Georgia count? They are technically part of Europe."

Yes

message 42: by Jen (last edited Jun 18, 2018 06:19AM) (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Hi all!
I have a request that I'd like to make. Since we're running this challenge on multiple places (here, Goodreads, List, and blog) I'd like to request that you also start a thread on the blog. So I can have one central place to track.

What does this mean? Basically just hit "reply" to the challenge page (link posted below) and say you will be playing. After that, you don't need to do anything over there if you don't want to compete for those prizes.

I will be updating here in our own group and you'll track scores here BUT I will be using the list of participants on the blog as the central list to use for randomizer picks. If you have a thread here, I"ve added your name to the participant list over there too. If you don't see your name there, then post a thread there so I don't miss you.

Here's the challenge page: https://thereadersroom.org/summer-201...

NOTE: If you want to qualify for the prizes on the blog page (there will be a separate prize for this 1001 group) just make sure to update your thread over there too.

message 43: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 13 comments Hi, I’m in. Allready created a reply on the blog and a mention on litsy. We can start with reading for our own country, right?

message 44: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Claire wrote: "Hi, I’m in. Allready created a reply on the blog and a mention on litsy. We can start with reading for our own country, right?"

Great! Your first country will be the destination you travel to. You will read your own country at the very end. But either way you can’t start until July1.

message 45: by Kristel (new)

I want to participate but as usual am always a bit confused. I will try but know that I already have bitten off more than I can actually achieve but it is always fun to try and see. I will post on blog and on Litsy too.

message 46: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Kristel wrote: "I want to participate but as usual am always a bit confused. I will try but know that I already have bitten off more than I can actually achieve but it is always fun to try and see. I will post on ..."

It should all make sense once we start. Take it step by step. First step is to decide your first stop. Which airport will you be traveling to? That will determine your first book. I’ll walk people through each week.

message 47: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 13 comments Jen wrote: "Claire wrote: "Hi, I’m in. Allready created a reply on the blog and a mention on litsy. We can start with reading for our own country, right?"

Great! Your first country will be the destination you..."

I agree. Ok! But I’ll be travelling to France IRL, not by plane, but by car. You want us to travel by plane?

message 48: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Claire wrote: "Jen wrote: "Claire wrote: "Hi, I’m in. Allready created a reply on the blog and a mention on litsy. We can start with reading for our own country, right?"

Great! Your first country will be the des..."

No, that makes sense for you. The air travel was mainly for people outside of Europe

message 49: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments Is Iceland part of Europe? If so, where can we ferry to/from?

message 50: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Chinook wrote: "Is Iceland part of Europe? If so, where can we ferry to/from?"

Yes, you can travel to and from Iceland from UK or Norway

« previous 1