NetGalley Addicts Support Group discussion

Need Help? [Ask the Group] > Adding an Amazon Link on Publication Day

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee (new)

Renee | 67 comments When I went to add the link to my Amazon review on NG, today on publication day, a notification came up that mine was a featured review & that making a change would notify the publisher. So, my question is, does that matter? Would that change the featured status or would the publisher just see a new review link? I have seen this before and just gone ahead and added the link, but wondered if anyone has any other thoughts. TY. I have 6 books with 'birthday's' today, so the review pile is going down.

message 2: by SundayAtDusk (new)

SundayAtDusk | 100 comments I have the same question. In the past, when I went back to add the Amazon link, there was no problem. Now, with the new system, I get the same type of message; but thought it said my review would then cease being featured, or whatever it's called. I just continue and add the Amazon link, because posting links is important at NetGalley.

message 3: by Renee (new)

Renee | 67 comments SundayAtDusk wrote: "I have the same question. In the past, when I went back to add the Amazon link, there was no problem. Now, with the new system, I get the same type of message; but thought it said my review would t..."

Here is the response I received from NG
Hi Renee,

Thanks for writing in. If you are looking to simply add links to your feedback, while you will see the message pop-up, I can confirm that it will not remove the feature status of your review. This only occurs when any changes are made to the text box only. To be absolutely sure, I just went ahead and added an Amazon link to a featured review of my own and after saving, my review is still featured.

I hope this helps!
Alicia | NetGalley.com

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 489 comments Thanks for getting this information for us! I have to say that I have sometimes been lax with going back and posting a link, somehow I think they keep track of their reviews on Amazon themselves. But I know I should do it and now you've made it simple :)

message 5: by SundayAtDusk (new)

SundayAtDusk | 100 comments Thanks, Renee. Last night when I added an Amazon link, I did not get the pop-up message, so I guess that review wasn't a "featured" one. What exactly is a "featured" review?

Yes, Dorie, that's what I was thinking, too, and didn't go back to add links at first once they changed the system. I'm sure the publishers and authors see the reviews at Amazon. But then I feared it might negatively affect my NetGalley account, so went back and added a few Amazon links.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :)  (dorie--catsbooks) | 489 comments SundayAtDusk wrote: "Thanks, Renee. Last night when I added an Amazon link, I did not get the pop-up message, so I guess that review wasn't a "featured" one. What exactly is a "featured" review?

Yes, Dorie, that's wha..."

A "featured" review is one that the publisher chooses to add to the "blurb" on the description page for that particular book's ARCs. You get a badge if you get I think it's 4. Truthfully I think only the smaller publishing houses do that much, I noticed it when I first joined NetGalley 3 years ago :) so far no negative responses to the books I forgot to add the link to. At the end of my original review I always add as the last sentence "will be posted to public media on date of publication", so maybe that helps :)

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 44 comments I have it in my profile: "All reviews are added to both Amazons on publication day" or words to that effect. I can't swear it helps, and I do try to remember to add the links to my review, but sometimes it's months later!

message 8: by SundayAtDusk (new)

SundayAtDusk | 100 comments Thanks, Dorie. I had no idea what that was since none of the reviews at NetGalley appear to be "featured". If Amazon allowed for reviews before publication, we would not have these concerns; but I understand why they don't.