World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Book and Film Discussions > Would you read Bill Clinton's new book "The President Is Missing?"

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments Bill Clinton and world-renowned author James Patterson have co-written a novel entitled The President Is Missing. Would you give it a try? Why or why not?

message 2: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer No! I'm not a fan of either. I don't think Patterson is a writer anymore, but then again, I never read any of the books he wrote himself.

message 3: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan I'll give it a miss, I've got some drying paint to keep an eye on.

message 4: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments Graeme wrote: "I'll give it a miss, I've got some drying paint to keep an eye on."

🤣🤣🤣

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16036 comments Wouldn't neglect their work, but would hardly make it a priority either unless superlatives from trusted sources start to arrive

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11771 comments Good work, Graeme. You make sure that paint dries :-)

message 7: by Holly (last edited Jun 05, 2018 03:27PM) (new)

Holly (goldikova) No, but for a fee I would give it a five star rating.

I extended a similar offer to Mrs. Clinton during the 2016 elections and she didn't respond:(

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11771 comments Holly, there are enough frenzied Dems out there to give it a 5 star rating, and probably enough GOPs out there to consider 1 star. You have to find someone less in the public domain to try that pitch :-(

message 9: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16036 comments I told you so, that all these x-presidents r just indie (or worse - trad-:)) authors in potential

message 10: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer Ian wrote: "Holly, You have to find someone less in the public domain to try that pit..."

Holly, you can try it with me. I'm totally not in the public domain. LOL!

message 11: by Graeme (last edited Jun 06, 2018 04:38AM) (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Now, now Denise - no need to go there. Your books are surely worth five stars.

Speaking of which, I must check them out.

message 12: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Holly wrote: "No, but for a fee I would give it a five star rating.

I extended a similar offer to Mrs. Clinton during the 2016 elections and she didn't respond:("

You need to show up with $225K USD, just ask Goldman Sachs. REF: CNN: http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/20/news/...

message 13: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Okay, but if I'm paying her that much, she needs to speak about a topic I find interesting. This is going to require a lot of hard work on her part, I'm quite sure she is completely uninformed on the inheritance of coat color in equine genetics.

message 14: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Denise wrote: "Ian wrote: "Holly, You have to find someone less in the public domain to try that pit..."

Holly, you can try it with me. I'm totally not in the public domain. LOL!"

Denise, I have Fogged Up Fairy Tale on my "to-read" list......and no payment required.

message 15: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer Holly wrote: "Denise wrote: "Ian wrote: "Holly, You have to find someone less in the public domain to try that pit..."

Holly, you can try it with me. I'm totally not in the public domain. LOL!"

Denise, I have ..."

Aw, that's sweet, Holly. I was really just kidding, but it's appreciated. If I could give you rep points, I'd hit it several times. :D

message 16: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11771 comments Nik wrote: "I told you so, that all these x-presidents r just indie (or worse - trad-:)) authors in potential"

Not too sure there is much potential there, Nik. From what I can make out, they are one-hit wonders. But maybe I am just envious of the sales :-)

message 17: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments I'm not going to spend money on it, but I will check it out of the library. As an aside, Clinton has had to answer some questions about Monica. He looked really pissed off when those questions were originally asked and didn't do too well answering them. He had to have a do-over on Late Night with Stephen Colbert. In the Me Too environment, did he really expect to get a pass on having sex with an intern?

message 18: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan I doubt that Bill has ever had a close and intimate relationship with accountability.

message 19: by Nik (last edited Jun 11, 2018 09:03AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 16036 comments Graeme wrote: "I doubt that Bill has ever had a close and intimate relationship with accountability."

But he seems a good storyteller. Is the book marketed under erotica?

message 20: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2328 comments Not sure, but it put him as one of the top 100 authors under young adult...

message 21: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments Young adult. He's had some experience with that.

message 22: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments I checked this one out of the library last week. I was hoping for a good read, but I read thirty pages or so and had to put it down. I haven't read the reviews, but it disappointed me.

message 23: by Nik (last edited Aug 13, 2018 01:04AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 16036 comments Scout wrote: "...it disappointed me."

Hope you didn't feel Hillary's contribution in killing the fun of otherwise promising project

message 24: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments I began reading with an open mind and just didn't like it. Give it a try and see if you can get beyond thirty pages. Then tell me what you think, as I know I may have certain biases.

message 25: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16036 comments Sure, I'd be glad to maybe do a book swap with James and William -:)

message 26: by Jona (new)

Jona Taylor | 11 comments I read it. Meh. I expected so much more. Considering the guy used to be prez, you would think it would offer some insights on what it is actually like to live in the white house and work in the oval office. No, it was a non-thrilling thriller with 1-d characters. Even if you're a Clinton lover, save your money.

message 27: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16036 comments Jona wrote: "..a non-thrilling thriller with 1-d characters..."

Thanks for sharing your impressions with us, Jona.
I guess the least we can assume is that their book is not for all. Still their joint brands will sell a lot of pieces, so if not literary - a commercial success is guaranteed. I see that at the moment it's ranked within the first hundred as a hardcover, strangely occupying 6-th place in "Women's adventure" (??) category..
And I'd still invite either of them as a guest-star for a chapter in my book -:)

message 28: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments Thanks for your input, Jona. "Women's adventure"? What's up with that categorization??? With such big names, commercial success is guaranteed, and I think that's what it was all about. Money, money, money. Certainly not literary excellence.