International Book Club discussion

Paige's Book Progress > Letters To The Lost: Progress

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

Paige (iampaigeb) | 698 comments Mod
11% done the book and i find it intriguing. Not as catching as I thought it would be to begin with and not how I expected it to be as a read. It jumps back and forth between 2011 and 1942 and sometimes is hard to keep my mind on what is going on between the two time periods. I do love it though as you learn more and more each time about the characters and how they are connected. It is a good heartwarming and relaxing report.

message 2: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

15%

Reading has been slow with this one as it takes a long while for it to get going. That said, there is something in the end of each chapter, in each of the two time periods that keeps me going. It is not a dull book but a very soft book. I love how the story is going so far and you can feel the emotions and life of all the characters. It is like you are the characters, going through this adventure.

message 3: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

26%
I know. I am reading slowly through this one but it is worth it. Every 10 pages you learn more and more about the characters. It is written in a narrative literature style but each moment means something. It makes you wonder what happened to Stella who is known as Nancy in the letters. You want to know if Dan finds out. If Stella stays with Charles. If Charles finds out about Dan amd what happens. It is quite a well written book. Pick up this gem

message 4: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

27%
Before Chapter 12, there was alot of back and forth between 2011 and 1943. Now Jess has stumbled across the box of letters by Dan to Stella. Now we really get to start to see what these two talk about. How their lives become changed forever and the events that start to roll out with everyone in 1943. We will not hear from Jess again for what looks like almost 90 pages. This is going to be a fun adventure.

message 5: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

34%

It is good. Really good. It is such a heart warming story and makes your heart flutter as if you are Stella. I love how you get all sides of the story. How you hear Jess's thoughts in 2011 as she reads these letters written to Stella back in 43. I love how Jess thinks Stella is such a bitch on having an affair while her husband is off at war. While we hear the story from Stella. You can tell she was young and naive when she got married and really did not know anything of love. That she married a man older than herself but really in reality she is unhappy in her marraige. I am excited to see how this plays out.

message 6: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

42%

Things start to get heated. Not the bad kind either. We are starting to really see the relationship between Dan and Stella. The more you read about Dan the more you cannot help but to love him. He is a gentleman and you can see the true love he has for Stella. That he cares and he wants to know how Charles is treating her. That Charles is treating her right and loves her. Nancy, Stella's friend notices that Charles is a loser and an idiot. A controlling arrogant self centred bastard and she tells Dan so. She also expresses her thoughts to Stella who has already had the same thoughts of Charles. That Charles does in fact NOT love her. As the reader, we already knew this in the beginning of the book. I seriously freaking hate Charles' character. Just loath him.

message 7: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

55%
Little over half done and there has been so many twists. The more I read the more I want to punch Charles in the face. God I hate his character. His narcistic and arrogant ungentlemanly character. Like......ugh.....I hate him. I love how Dan and Stella have an Unbreakable love.

message 8: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

58%
I did a 6 kilometer walk for this one today. I went for coffee which is 3K from my doorstep there. 3K back. It is worth it. For the stories of everytime I do this walk. Also worth it for the next chapter of Letters To The Lost.

We know why Dan had went to the Frak Farm. Pretty much a base for crazies as I like to put it. He had just seen his best friend get shot down and killed. A friend who was just a new father and never met his new son. We find Dan bought a house for Stella, an escape from Charles, after he found out that Charles has beat her, raped her, and did not treat her kind. Like I said, did not expect this book to take a dark turn like that. I mean I hate Charles before and now I despise him completely.

It is a good book. I recommend all of you to pick up this beauty and give it a try.

message 9: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

60%
Is Jess falling in love with Will? I thought Will was like in his 40s or something. That is the impression I got with Iona's writing but still I think this is so cute. Will cares for Jess and Jess clearly feels something for the guy. Heck Will even brought her the letters so she can finish reading them as she is curious what happened to Stella and Dan. We are curious to. I am loving how this story is going. Back to 1943 we go.

message 10: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

62%

😭😭😭😢😢😢😢
enough said

message 11: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

chapter 28

when I hear what happened to Charles at the end of 27.

🤗🤗🤗😁😁😁😁😀😀😀😀

really hate this character.

message 12: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

76%

Poor Dan. Poor Dan.
That seems to be all I can say right now is "Poor Dan".

He had got shot down over Germany. I think, it may be France, burned his Fort (B-17 Plane) and walked across France until The Resistance found and took him in. His feet hurt, nerves shaken, and the only thing keeping him going was Stella.

Stella and Charles are hosting the anual Church celebration festival amd about to take Daisy's first photograph. Daisy is the daughter Stella gave birth to. Who died I believe in the 80s. Daisy...not Stella. Dan walks in, takes Stella by surprise. Her knight in shining armour. She goes over, talks to him, and he tells her to go away with him. To leave Charles. They go to her bedroom and pack her things along with Daisy. Just about to make the final break for it when Charles comes. Little spat happens amd Charles tells Stella she can go with Dan.......but she has to leave Daisy and never see her again. She looked at Dan and that moment, he knew. He knew he lost that battle. It seems its the final time she sees him. How horrible that would be. To live prisoner to a husband who beat you, raped you, and gave you the most unthinkable decision. All because of the Law of God.

I hate Charles even more now, that arrogant selfish ol bastard. Pardon my language but he just pisses me off. This book has way so many emotions it is unbearable. Hard to take. Yet I keep going.

message 13: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

on pg 295.
says year 1943.
thought daisy was born april 1944. so why would she be in 1943?

message 14: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

i asked the author

message 15: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

88%

Wait, Daisy was left at an asylum? Why? I want to know what Stella thought of doing that for or was it punishment by Charles?

Oh and Will I guess is 25 and finally Jess and Him get together. They are so much better together and Dodge (even though you rarely hear him) had his moment coming. Hopes he rots in jail.

Cannot wait to finish the book. Perhaps tonight.

message 16: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

wait. Dan gives her the house. that is awesome

message 17: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

91%
😢😢😢😢😭😭😭😭
That is all I have to say. Now until the end of the book

message 18: by Paige, Odd Thomas for March (new)

done

This book was pure bliss. It may not catch you right away but it has an edge to it that keeps you interested. Not alot of action in it but a good book doesn't need any of that. A good book needs a great story and that is what Letters To The Lost is. I marked this as a keeper and I stand by my decision on that. I found myself crying, laughing, and hating all at the same. Crying and laughing because Dan and Stella's love is so strong, pure, innocent, and true and yet they are torn apart. Torn apart by a character I never knew I could hate some much. I never knew I could physically hate a character so much as I hated Charles.

I love the balance between 2011 and 1943. With Jess reading these letters by Dan and then getting to hear the story behind the letters. To hear Stella's response to these letters and to see the events play out.

I found myself coming back to this book every day. Wanting to hear what happens next. I felt like I was Jess and I felt like I was Stella. Like I was there living their lives. Iona Grey did a brilliant job on creating a masterpiece of Literature. It is such a feel good book in the end and I found myself crying. Gonna keep this gem on my bookshelf and allow it to be borrowed. Read this book if you have not yet.