Books and Jams Readalong discussion

The Unseen World
This topic is about The Unseen World

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
Alright, the moment you're waiting for. Let those spoilery thoughts fly!

What moments did you specifically love or dislike?
Any quotes that stand out to you?
How do you like the way it all ended?

What will your rating be?

Berna | 64 comments I liked this book a lot. The story of almost all the characters were very interesting, especially David's past.

I also liked the scientific concept, especially the parts about ELIXIR, the pioneer of contemporary AI, was very defined really good.

My favorite characters were Liston and Ada. I do not know what Ada would have done without Liston's mother figure. Gregory was also a favorite of mine and I am glad they ended up together.

David, although a very interesting character, felt a little bit sellfish; especially regarding the decision to have a child. I really struggled in the sections filled with Ada's desire to be a "normal child".

The pacing of the book was fine, it was not a page turner but I never got bored reading any section of the book.

Overall, I gave this book four stars.

message 3: by Krista (last edited Jul 01, 2018 05:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
I have mixed feelings about this book. I tried to give myself a few days to think more on it before writing, but am not sure that helped. I think I landed on 4 stars, but if I did half stars it might be 3.5. There were quite a few parts that were super slow for me - especially the beginning where there was SUCH a long description of the work they were doing in the lab and the beginnings of Elixir. That actually became my least favorite part of all. Then when it ended from Elixir's POV I was left feeling annoyed, which is never a fun way to end a book. I think my final response was an eye roll! haha.

On the other hand I loved Ada and her growing up. I didn't mind the hopping around time lines. I enjoyed the mystery with David/Harold. I love Liston and her family. I loved how it came full circle with Gregory seeking out Ada as adults and finally figuring out the code that David had left her. I enjoyed the glimpse into the future "soon" that included Ada. I thought the writing was fine and the pacing good overall. Nothing jumped out at me as spectacular though.

I look forward to hearing what everyone else thinks.

Rhonda Nelson | 14 comments I gave this book a strong 4 stars. What it lacked in the first third, it made up for in the last third for me. I admit that I really really didn't like David at all in the beginning. I thought he was selfish and I hated the way he left Ada to fend for herself & find out all of these secrets in such a shocking & cruel way. Then we found out the real story & my heart truly broke for Harold & the way he was raised & it helped me understand so so much. The use of Elixir in the revelation of his story was perfection. The other perfect thing was Gregory & Ada finding each other & creating a life; a happy life they both deserved. <3

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 9 comments I liked this one and enjoyed seeing Ada come of age. Had to make myself pick it up at times, just not into tech and science. Know lots of people loved it but not my cup of tea.