2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Murder on Marble Row (Gaslight Mystery, #6)
This topic is about Murder on Marble Row
Murder on Marble Row > Question N

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
Did Snowberger have feelings beyond lust for Lilly or was he just playing her?

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1391 comments I think Snowberger was playing Lilly, but I don't know what he thought he would get from that in terms of more revenge. He knew her to be a fickle scandalous female.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments I don't even know if it was lust, tbh, or more of a way to stick it to Van Dyke in a personal manner.

I was surprised that he came to see her after Van Dyke died. That scene in the parlor was confusing. Maybe that was the lust action but he led her to believe he might marry her. However, I can’t imagine him falling for this piece of fluff.

In a strange twist, Van Dyke lost his life because of Lilly, a woman he bought and paid for. She ended up being an albatross.

Phrynne | 605 comments I agree with you Jonetta. I could not understand why he was back in the parlour with Lilly. It seemed like a really bad move on his part.

He had nothing to prove to anyone. It was puzzling.

Robin (robinmy) | 1214 comments I was confused too. After his revenge seduction of Lilly, why did he go back to her after Van Dyke was dead? I believe at that point that the family knew Creighton had inherited everything. Did Snowberger know it or did he believe Lilly was still in line for part of the inheritance?

Maybe that was his angle. Otherwise, I’m at a loss.

~ Giulia ~ | 193 comments I'm confused too. Maybe it's that thing about Lilly looking a lot like his dead wife? He didn't love her and he didn't seem very intent on marrying her, but maybe she was still the closest reminder of his beloved wife and that's why he came back to her.

Well, that’s another good angle, Giulia.

Christina T (crysteena73) | 180 comments I was also confused. I could see him using her but I agree with Giulia about Lilly looking like his dead wife. I can't imagine him actually having feelings for Lilly though. Him coming to the Van Dykes just didn't make a lot of sense unless it was only to establish a better motive for him being the killer.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Yes, his going back to Lilly after his revenge against Van Dyke had already played out didn't make sense.

He was well aware that Lilly was nothing like his beloved wife except in looks, so I'm not sure that this played a part in his decision. Perhaps, he merely saw her as an easy conquest and the external similarities helped with the attraction.