YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Looking for a reading buddy for Tower of Dawn!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by asbah (new)

asbah (asbahreads) | 10 comments Hey guys! If anyone wants to buddy read Tower of Dawn with me, feel free to comment below or pop me a message!
Thanks!

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess I just started this. I can buddy read with you.

message 3: by asbah (last edited Jun 04, 2018 03:48PM) (new)

asbah (asbahreads) | 10 comments Jessica wrote: "I just started this. I can buddy read with you."
Cool. I'll start it today and read about 50-70 pages or so, and then we could discuss some parts. Do tell me where you're at so I can catch up asap. Sound good?

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess ok. well I started yesterday and I'm on page 230.

I wont read till you catch up if you would like. Sorry this is my first time doing a buddy read so I'm learning as we go.

I like this book a lot so far. when I first read that is was about Choal and Aelin wasn't in the book at all. I was a little didappointed....especially after the ending of empire of storms.

I'm loving the new characters and am interested to see how the Khagan picks his hair. the siblings all seem really interesting and so different.

I can't wait to hear what you think.

message 5: by asbah (new)

asbah (asbahreads) | 10 comments Jessica wrote: "ok. well I started yesterday and I'm on page 230.

I wont read till you catch up if you would like. Sorry this is my first time doing a buddy read so I'm learning as we go.

I like this book a lo..."

Believe it or not, this is my first buddy read too, so I guess we both can learn from the experience. ;)
I haven't read a lot today, but I'm pretty sure I can reach page 230 by tomorrow, and I'll update you as soon as I do.
I, too, was a little disappointed to know Aelin wasn't gonna be in this book, and every time she's mentioned breaks my heart a little. However, I'm really enjoying the new perspectives and characters and the Khagan and his family seem really interesting to me too. I feel like this book is going to be a detailed, solid ground to set up the atmosphere for the next book and I look forward to reading more and hearing your opinion about it.

message 6: by asbah (new)

asbah (asbahreads) | 10 comments Hi Jessica,
I've caught up with my reading, and this is just to inform u so u you're not held back with urs. And thanks for waiting; I really appreciate it.

message 7: by Jess (new)

Jess No problem. I like having someone to read with. What do you think so far? Where are you at?

message 8: by Jess (new)

Jess Can you make it to chapter 26 by tonight?

message 9: by asbah (new)

asbah (asbahreads) | 10 comments Absolutely. I’m actually just a few chapters ahead of 26, so I’ve stopped for now to let u catch up. Then we can start together and maybe set a goal for a certain chapter? I think that would make it easier for us to stay at the same pace. What do u think?

As for the story, I am loving it so far. For the most part, I could do without Nesryn’s chapters, but now I feel like they’re getting a little more interesting, especially now that she’s got a mission of her own and Sartaq’s family seems so nice. The khaganate is also starting to show its real colours. I have a good sense of what all the characters are up to, and I cannot wait to read more. There also seems to be some trouble brewing in the background and it’s keeping me glued to the pages.
And I just love Chaol and Yrene’s friendship! I’m so glad he’s making progress.

Do tell how u r liking it so far. I’m waiting to know how you think!

message 10: by Jess (new)

Jess That sounds good. I am at chapter 26 but will gladly read more. I tend to get sucked in to books and read them pretty quickly.

Yeah Nesryn story is lacking a bit. I like her interactions with Sartaq. I like Sartaq the best of the siblings. I can't wait to see how he is with rukhin. I can't believe Hasar essentially blackmailed Yrene. I honestly thought pretty highly of her before that part.

Yrene and Chaol are so cute together. I like how they banter. What do you think is infecting Choal? Do you think it will consume him or will Yrene save him? I like Yrene. She is such a well written character and I can't wait to learn more of her back story.

I will say this book so far has been better then I thought. With Choals horrible attitude the last few books I was not looking forward to having him be the main character.

Yes. let's plan on the next chapter we read to. Where are you at?

message 11: by asbah (new)

asbah (asbahreads) | 10 comments Jessica wrote: "That sounds good. I am at chapter 26 but will gladly read more. I tend to get sucked in to books and read them pretty quickly.

Yeah Nesryn story is lacking a bit. I like her interactions with Sar..."

Haha me too. I think the part of the Valg that attacked Chaol is festering in his body and I think it might have a mind of its own, too? like a motive; a way to spy on him, feast on his fears, maybe even manipulate him? I don't know. Maybe I'm way too deep lol.
I really like Yrene's character, too. I think character development is one of the things Maas does well in her books. I also think that Yrene will save him. Maybe there might be a downside to it, but I'm sure she will heal him.
I agree with your opinion on Hasar. Her stone-cold personality is not what I expected from her. That makes me think there's more to the siblings than just how they act around certain people.

Anyways, I'm currently on chapter 38. Say...maybe read 10 or so chapters? I'm just keeping it to 10 as an average. I really don't mind if u wanna extend or lessen it, especially cuz u r a little behind.

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess I totally agree. and Its like its feeding off of his emotions. Maas really does write so much depth to her characters. she makes them so complex and interesting to read. I feel like "OMG I have to know what happens to them"

Yeah I can make it to chapter 38. I'll write my review after I get there.

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess I'm so sorry for the delay. Life happened. In a good but busy way. I am at chapter 37.

So Sartaq and Nesryn are on a crazy adventure. I enjoyed when Sartaq told Nesryn about how there is a story circulating about her, Neith's Arrow. but omg spider!!! very large creepy talking spider. nope nope nope. haha. I wonder if they will find any answers to defeating the valg. I feel like every step forward our group of heroes make...the enemy is still like 100 steps ahead. Nesryn seems stronger and happier since she has come to the southern continent. I like her more and more as I am reading.

oh man Chaol was so mad when Nesryn left. but taking it out on Yrene. What a butthead. At least after seeing Shens hand he finally found the courage to go to the training courtyard.

The last part I read was about the dinner with the khagan and family and Chaoldid not defend Aelin very well. oh boy that's not good.

Where are you at now? sorry again for the delay.

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess oh and I left off with Chaol asking Kashin about a meeting with the Khagan. i can't wait to read that.

message 15: by asbah (new)

asbah (asbahreads) | 10 comments It’s totally alright. Sometimes life gets in the way of our reading, whether it’s bad or good. U don’t need to apologize.
I am yet to start chapter 38; I was waiting for u to finish so we could start it together and continue.

I totally agree with u, though. Nesryn seems more at a happy place and feel like she and Sartaq could be something more than friends. I’ve started to enjoy her chapters and I look forward to them. And the spiders: same. I despise even the tiniest of spiders I see, so u can imagine how the big ones creep the life out of me and I internally squirm every time I read about them lol.

I was thinking we could next read up to chapter 50? Again, it’s no big deal if you can’t make it soon and I insist u take all the time u need.

I’ll update u when I’m done, and I look forward to what u think!

message 16: by Jess (new)

Jess chapter 50. on it!!!

message 17: by asbah (new)

asbah (asbahreads) | 10 comments OH. MY. GOD.

I loved everything that happened. (Except for the death of that baby ruk—R.I.P.) And the fact that those spiders are back and are causing some serious trouble.
But I’m REALLY enjoying Nesryn’s chapters. There’s a lot of action going on and that whole revelation that the spiders are loyal to Maeve was one I was not expecting that at all. Chapter 50 left off a bit dramatic and I can’t wait to see what happens next!

And omg Chaol can walk again!! I’m so happy he made progress even tho he and Yrene were practically yelling at each other while he did so. But they’re a couple! I think it might be one my favourite ships from this series. What do u think?
I also like how he’s coping emotionally as well as physically. And I LOVED the part where Yrene pushed Hasar down into the pool. She deserved it lol.

I’m really enjoying how everything’s folding out and all the important information that is revealed. I think these last few chapters are going to be really dramatic and fast-paced and I’m so excited.
After you hv finished these, let’s read up to chapter 60 next.

message 18: by Jess (new)

Jess OMG yes. It's been so good. I just got to chapter 50 and the Maeve revelation is jaw dropping. I am speechless.

Yeah Nesryn's story is just going in ways I never thought. She is showing sides of her I didn't know she had and I really like it. OMG the baby ruk:*( so sad. I hope Kadara is ok too. and Sartaq.

Chaol and Yrene, FINALLY. I love them together. They make each other stronger and better and don't seem so dependent on each other. I don't mind Rowen and Aelin together but in the first 2 books Aelin was so independent and strong. After she met Rowen she seemed to lose some of her strength when she wasn't with him. I couldn't believe it when Chaol walked.

So much happened in the last10 chapters. Yes. on to chapter 60.

message 19: by Jess (new)

Jess oh and Chaol and Yrene are totally my favorite ship now. second would be Lysandra and Aedion

message 20: by asbah (new)

asbah (asbahreads) | 10 comments Jessica wrote: "oh and Chaol and Yrene are totally my favorite ship now. second would be Lysandra and Aedion"

I totally agree. Manon and Dorian coming in third. <3

message 21: by asbah (new)

asbah (asbahreads) | 10 comments I can’t believe we’re coming towards the end! I don’t know if it’s just me, but everything seems to be going so fast.
My favourite part was probably when Chaol fought within his inner demons and learned to cope with his emotions. He has made significant progress throughout the book. I really like that. And he is RUNNING! I’m so happy for him.
I really agree with Yrene’s realization/theory that the Valg are like parasites. I’ve always thought of them that way. And I’m so glad that Yrene has found a way to save all those affected by the Valg—I was hoping someone would do that soon.
Nesryn and Sartaq have the sweetest friendship. I think she might just get her part of the army to fight in the war.
Hope these last few chapters are just as awesome as the rest have been.

Since there are so few of them left, let’s read up till the end. (I’ll wait for you)
Excited to see what you think of the book!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.