Di & D Reading Group discussion

The Golem and the Jinni (The Golem and the Jinni, #1)
This topic is about The Golem and the Jinni
Book 2: The Golem and the Jinni > Casting for the big screen

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean (new) - added it

Sean Laurvick (mastershizzle) | 4 comments I like to go through this exercise when I read a new work: If you were the casting director for the movie being made of this book, what are your picks for the top 5 main cast? Spoiler-free, please. If you feel like using more / different characters, that's cool too.

My list:
* The Golem: LeeLee Sobieski
* The Jinni: Diego Luna
* The Rabbi: Dustin Hoffman
* Arbeely: John Turturro
* Yusuf Schallman: Michael C. Hall

I find this kind of thing handy when running RPGs. When you need to give an NPC some voice and mannerisms in a hurry, just "cast" them as a celebrity or movie character you already know and do an impression of that person.

Brian (fiddleback) Interesting.

I'm going to wait until I've finished to do this one. That way I know what they need to bring to the story.

Leslie | 43 comments As soon as I saw "Casting" my first thought was Oded Fehr for the Jinni. Beyond that, I am mostly indifferent, though I look forward to seeing the suggestions!
[Leelee Sobieski is not a name I would think of normally, but I like the idea.]

Brian (fiddleback) This casting thing is going to bug me now....

Hmmm hmm hmm

Golem: Gal Gadot
Jinni: Oded Fehr
Rabbi: Mandy Patinkin
Arbeely: Erick Avari
Yusuf: Steve Buscemi

message 5: by Sean (new) - added it

Sean Laurvick (mastershizzle) | 4 comments Ooh, I never considered Buscemi for that part. Nice call!

Though, I can't remember if I've ever seen him act with any kind of accent or nationality other than "nondescript American white guy".

message 6: by Brian (last edited Jun 17, 2018 06:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brian (fiddleback) Buscemi got it for having the right look AND being polish american.

Besides, he looks like he's already lived the life(s).

Leslie | 43 comments That is an impressive and altogether apt list.