YA LGBT Books discussion

Pride Reads - name fav YA LGBTQ > 6 - Who's a queer supporting character who should get their own book/series?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Who's a queer YA supporting character who should get their own book/series? Was there a best friend or brother or sister, or maybe a villain or side-kick, who needs their own story?

message 2: by Kaje (last edited Jun 03, 2018 03:52PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments I really want to read something specifically about Angel, the trans girl in Freakboy - she's had a hard past, and still fights to be who she is, but she has such strength and confidence. I don't know if she'd be considered a secondary character - she does have POV sections in the book, but the central POV is Brendan's and she's mainly there on page to support his journey. I'd love to have her full story.

message 3: by Stella (new)

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ | 8 comments I would love it if Basra, from Shadow Run, who I think is genderfluid (it's never stated on the page), got their own book! I didn't love Shadow Run as a whole, but Basra's amazing.

message 4: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments I don't know if this counts, because the MC in the original book isn't queer, but I'd love a sequel to On the Edge of Gone that focuses on Denise's sister, Iris.

message 5: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Definitely counts. Some of those "gay best friend/sister/brother" characters really should get their own story.

message 6: by clemens (new)

clemens (deafpope) Robby from Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith needs his own book for sure.

message 7: by Rez (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) Toby (I think the character's name is), the gender-fluid kid, from Openly Straight/Honestly Ben by Bill Konigsberg. They are such a quirky-cute character and I want to see the book after Honestly Ben where they are flourishing.

message 8: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Rez wrote: "Toby (I think the character's name is), the gender-fluid kid, from Openly Straight/Honestly Ben by Bill Konigsberg. They are such a quirky-cute char..."

Absolutely. I have a vague feeling he might be planning to write that story...