Beyond Reality discussion

Members' Lounge > New SF series for group read?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silvana (last edited Jun 03, 2018 07:46AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Hi all,

Based on Kathi's suggestion, I'd like to gauge the interest to read a new SF series for the group, now that the Expanse reading marathon is over. (book 8&9 are months/years away)

I know we have the Hobb series but just in case the ones who are not joining that one wants to do SF instead.

I for one would love to continue the Murderbot series. I think it is fun and also a fast read so easier to squeeze in.

Other series I'd like to start:
Imperial Radch (Ann Leckie) - completed
Thrawn (Timothy Zahn) - 1/?

message 2: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 899 comments I'm not interested in the Hobb series read, but I will say the same thing I said when we were starting the Expanse series.

One at a time. Its not fair to divide attention just because some aren't interested. Once its done, we can look at another new series. In the mean time, we've always got the SF book of the month as well. :)

message 3: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Yeah....but it will be finished in 2020. Just throwing some thoughts :)

message 4: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3380 comments Mod
I would be up for a SF series read, but only if it is a finished series. I get too frustrated otherwise, as I am now with The Expanse!!

Silvana, maybe you can see what the comments here are like, or maybe set up a poll for people to vote yes or no on even doing a SF series read.k

Also, do the mods have an opinion about having a fantasy BotM, a sci fi BotM, a fantasy series, and a sci fi series all happening at once? Nick? Candiss?

message 5: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2391 comments Mod
I don't have enough time on my plate to commit to two series at a time, but I'm certainly not going to tell the rest of you that you can't go for it! :)

message 6: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Alrighty, I guess I'll just use the SF nomination every month for the group read. We allow sequels anyway :)

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 80 comments And who wouldn’t vote for more Murderbot?!

message 8: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) So true, Rach!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't been very active in this group for the past year or so - but I wanted to join in on some group reads at some point. The trouble is that I have a limited budget, so I tend to buy most all of my books used.

I know that some book groups hosted by bookstores sometimes get a discount. Is there ever anything like that here or on GR to make reading current books more affordable?

message 10: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Welcome back! I haven't seen anything of the sort, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist - anyone else?

I rely heavily on my library because I have a limited budget as well. Our network has an extensive eBook collection, so we can still take out eBooks while physical libraries are shut down.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you! :)

Ebook Collection? OooOOooo... I'd like to know about this!

message 12: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3380 comments Mod
Boradicus wrote: "Thank you! :)

Ebook Collection? OooOOooo... I'd like to know about this!"

Better World Books is my main online source for used books. Good selection, good prices, occasional sales, and always free shipping.

message 13: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Boradicus wrote: "Thank you! :)

Ebook Collection? OooOOooo... I'd like to know about this!"

I think most libraries are offering eBooks these days? Where are you located? I bet if you Google your local library homepage you'll find that they have a digital collection you can borrow from.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll check it out - thanks.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I just called my library. I looks like I just accidentally learned something new :D

message 16: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Woohoo!