World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > Would you host a microchip under your skin?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16036 comments If you thought bio-metric id doc-s were excessive, then microchips is a bigger step forward. As I understand from this and similar reports, implanting microchips is gaining momentum:
http://www.businessinsider.com/swedis...
Would you implant a microchip, so, for example, not to carry a key to your house or id tag to work? For other purposes? What do you think?

message 2: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan The obvious example is 'paywave,' replacement allied with a fully digital currency.

The problem is that you could be switched off, by some petty bureaucrat who wants to screw with your life because his just ended an unhappy love affair with someone in HR....

It's real 'mark of the beast,' crap - and I'm not religious.

The opportunities for hacking and abuse are legion.

Dumbest advance on the planet and people will flock to it because it'll offer some momentary convenience.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11771 comments Another problem is that these microchips do not work forever. Horatio (my cat) has one, and has had one for about six years, and each year the vet checks to see if it is still working. The question then is, what happens if your chip ceases to work? Especially if it is the way to open your house doors and you are outside. Not good for certain scientists either - if you work with large magnetic fields your chip, and your access to home, money, whatever, could be erased. Then, as Graeme noted, there is the problem of hacking, and digital vandalism (erasing/modifying your chip.) It might make identity theft easier too.

message 4: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin For me, the answer is: NEVER! Unfortunately, lots of people will fall for it, either because they want to be part of the latest fad, because they are lazy and are attracted to what could apparently make some things easier for them, or because they don't think further than their noses. To those who will accept to have microchips implanted in their bodies, I say: don't come crying to me afterwards it it gets you into trouble.

message 5: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Not for me. Since I occupy my body 24/7 I prefer to operate it manually.......don't need those autopilot options.

message 6: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments NO. Laziness and apathy are the enemies of a free society. Let's add stupidity to that.

message 7: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16036 comments Wonder why ppl use implants for esthetics like increasing breast, but for comfort - shouldn't? -:)

message 8: by Terence (new)

Terence Park | 44 comments What else could be embedded - could it include something I wouldn't be comfortable with?

message 9: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Terence. Could load a chip with a neurotoxin next to your brainstem and then fire it if you failed to conform.

message 10: by Terence (last edited Jun 06, 2018 01:03AM) (new)

Terence Park | 44 comments Graeme wrote: "Terence. if you failed to conform."
A down-vote with payload.
Oo-er!
:-)

message 11: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16036 comments Hope a titanium rod in my hip can't be hacked

message 12: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11771 comments Nik wrote: "Hope a titanium rod in my hip can't be hacked"

You have a titanium rod in your hip? I have whole titanium joint, which will probably be interesting when I go flying later this month for the first time with it.

message 13: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16036 comments Ian wrote: "You have a titanium rod in your hip? I have whole titanium joint, which will probably be interesting when I go flying later this month fo..."

Yes, and metal detectors usually don't detect it, only rarely...
Enjoy the flight and being at the destination -:)

message 14: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 1579 comments I have a couple of large staples, a cancellous screw, and an endo button in my leg :)

We are a battered mob, aren't we?

message 15: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16036 comments So it seems. Can easily organize Paralympics -:)

message 16: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Cyborgs unite!

If we're swapping scar stories, I've got a mechanical aortic heart valve. Replaced the original dodgy unit about 5 years ago.

message 17: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11771 comments If metal detectors miss this, I am not sure they are worth the trouble.

And yes, it seems we are a battered lot.

message 18: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6151 comments A battered lot. I like that.

message 19: by Kris (new)

Kris Haliday (krishaliday) | 127 comments Graeme wrote: "Terence. Could load a chip with a neurotoxin next to your brainstem and then fire it if you failed to conform."

Graeme, my inner Philip K Dick says you're singing my song. In fact, one of my characters gets injected with a neurotoxin because he fails to conform.... Kris