Literary Exploration discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Book-Club Books > Call for Nominations for Steampunk theme

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
We are doing Steampunk fiction soon so we need nominations for the poll. Let us know what book you are suggesting.

Rules
* can't nominate your own book
* only one nomination per person
* first 6-8 books will be chosen
* need to tell us why you are suggesting this book
* be respectful of other people's choices

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim I will nominate one of the first steampunk books (not including books retroactively called steampunk) Infernal Devices by K.W. Jeter.

The author is the man who coined the term.

message 3: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

We really need a lot more nominations

message 4: by Laurie (new)

Laurie I will nominate Leviathan which I read recently. It is probably only the 2nd steampunk book I've ever read, so I don't have much experience with this genre but I enjoyed it very much. It is part of a trilogy, and I look forward to reading the second book soon.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen I have no idea what steampunk is and/or means and can't say I am anxious to find out, but I need a steampunk book for the Hard Challenge so in the interest of moving this along, I nominate Soulless by Gail Carriger as it is the book most tagged as steampunk so I imagine it is a true representation of the genre.

message 6: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments I'll nominate The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers. It mixes time travel, Victorian England and Egyptian magic.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth (k9odyssey) Reading the Anubis Gates now. Really fun book!

message 8: by Breanne (new)

Breanne I nominate The Windup Girl I think it deals with some really interesting themes of what makes humans "human", bioterrorism, slavery etc. It's a dystopia "done right" or so I believe, one that a friend of mine said "has an impact" so I'd love to read this.

message 9: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 309 comments Beth wrote: "Reading the Anubis Gates now. Really fun book!"

Wonderfully inventive, I really enjoyed it!

message 10: by Philippa (new)

Philippa | 100 comments I'll nominate The Time Machine this is a classic, but it seems to be the idea that more contemporary takes on steampunk can be attributed to.

message 11: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new)

Almost there, I'll nominate The Difference Engine because it was one of the first examples of steampunk and an interesting story. That should be enough to give us our poll

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.