The Kremlin's Candidate (Red Sparrow Trilogy, #3) The Kremlin's Candidate question

Did the Author make mistakes near the end of the book? Or did I just miss something...
Simrun Simrun (last edited Jun 02, 2018 04:20PM ) Jun 02, 2018 02:26PM
**SPOILER ALERT**

In reference to Chapter 36: Did I miss something?

First question:
(1) Gorelikov takes his extra measures and eliminates two candidates from consideration as new DCIA, leaving his candidate as undeniable next-in-line. In other words, he publicly lines up The Kremlin’s Candidate (Admiral Roland, aka “magnet”) as the new DCIA. The entire world knows that Admiral Roland will be the new DCIA, and presumably knows that she’ll be sworn in in 5 days.
(2) Gorelikov, when thinking to himself, specifically says that he KNOWS Domenica Igorava cannot be the mole because she does not know Magnet’s true name (let alone Magnet’s gender). So as far as Putin’s cabal is concerned, Domenica is in the dark about Magnet’s true identity.
(3) However, as Domenica shifts focus from Nate after he is arrested by the Russians at the Cape, she specifically talks about “don’t kill him; Magnet will be in place soon and will give us all the names of CIA operatives thereby revealing who the mole is…” She even goes on to say that “we will know within 5 days who the Russian mole is.” This implies that she knows Magnet will be repositioned within the CIA/ US Government in 5 days time, a position more favorable to spying for Russia.
====>>> HOW DOES DOMENICA KNOW THAT MAGNET WILL BE IN POSITION IN 5 DAYS AND CAN REVEAL IDENTITIES OF CIA OPERATIVES AT THAT TIME? IT SEEMS THAT SHE ACTUALLY KNOWS MAGNET’S IDENTITY. WITH ONLY ONE CANDIDATE LEFT FOR DCIA, IT’S OBVIOUS THAT THAT CANDIDATE IS THE RUSSIAN MOLE, AND IF THAT CANDIDATE’S NAME IS KNOWN ALL OVER THE WORLD, THEN CLEARLY DOMENICA KNOWS HER IDENTITY. SO HOW DID GORELIKOV NOT CATCH THIS WHEN DOMENICA SAID “MAGNET WILL BE IN PLACE IN 5 DAYS AND CAN REVEAL NAMES TO US THEN?” (Sorry for all caps, just wanted to distinguish my question from the context above).

Did I miss something?

Second question…
Agnes comes to visit Dominica in her dacha, and Domenica leads her upstairs to her bedroom and onto the balcony. Prior to this, Domenica has mentioned that her dacha is obviously bugged and everything she says/ does in there is being recorded via both audio and video.
====>>>KNOWING THIS, WHY DOES SHE TAKE AGNES UPSTAIRS ETC IF SHE KNOWS THAT A CAMERA IS ROLLING AND SHE IS BEING WATCHED? ISN’T SHE WORRIED THAT AGNES WILL BE CAUGHT ON CAMERA WITH HER?
(Later in the chapter, we learn that Putin has turned off surveillance this evening so that he can have a private visit with Domenica, but the point is - Domenica did not know this when she was parading Agnes around in the house).

Did I miss something?

Third question:
As new head of SVR, how is Domenica not flanked by security detail even in her own dacha? How is she able to go to the beach behind the dacha without worry about being caught? She talks elsewhere about how being inundated with security detail will make it exceedingly difficult for her to meet her handler or even go anywhere alone.
====>>> So why is this not the case when she is in the dacha?

Did I miss something?

And near the end of Chapter 37, when Benford is discussing the failed attempts of using spy dust to catch Magnet's handler, he refers to the handler as "Susan" when saying "Susan must have used [whatever] to pick up the cell phone without touching it" ,,, if he knows who the handler is, why are they using spy dust to try and catch her?

And two side notes:
1. I’m listening to the audio versions of these books, and I’ve noticed that the reader has changed his pronunciation of “Domenica.” In book 1 (Red Sparrow), he calls her “Doh-men-eek-ah” but in books 2 and 3, he says “Doh-min-ica.” While I prefer the second pronunciation, it seems an inconsistent change.
2. In book 3, the author has added titles to the chapters, whereas in books 1 and 2 the chapters were simply called “Chapter 1… Chapter 30… etc.”

Please comment if you can tell me what I’m missing! … It could just be that I’ll have to listen to this one again some day.

My take on question #2 was that Dominika was trying to get to the balcony, where presumably the land breeze would mask their voices from the microphones, and maybe the cameras wouldn't be directed out there. I have no idea how she could explain being caught on camera going up there with Agnes in the first place, though.

I also found some inconsistencies... made a list, then misplaced it before I had a chance to post; will try to run it down..

I also had similar questions, as you; particularly questions 2, 3, and 4.

Also, he tossed me a loop when, after using almost all American references, he referenced Domenica's bust(80DD??) I was thinking no way she could have been a ballerina with those measurements; I even posted to that effect; but, immediately after posting I took a shot in the dark by doing a Google English to European conversion, saw that was indeed possible, and went back and deleted my post(thankfully before anyone discovered my "ignorance". Think that was definitely an author "mislead" to see how many of us would "jump the gun" and react without checking first...

I'll see if I can find my notes!!!