You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > June 2018 Jitter Bug REPORT

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments June 2018 Challenge – June Jitter Bug

When you have completed your selection for the challenge, please link the book you read, and explain why the book fits the challenge. I'm looking for which words you used for associations, and which word(s) were selected by the fruit machine. How does the book you read fit that word?

Scoring:

Title: - sub-titles are not included
5 pts – Contains the word (or number) “Six” in it. (for the 6th month of the year)
4 pts – Is exactly six words (includes a, the, an)
3 pts – Has the name of a country or city in it.
2 pts – Has a word that begins with the letter J, U, N, or E in it (only count once).
1 pts – Has a sub-title or series title.

Cover: (based on the edition you read)
5 pts – Has someone with flowers in her hair.
4 pts – Has a bouquet of flowers on it.
3 pts – Has one dog or cat on it.
2 pts – Has a seal depicting a prize nominee or winner (ie Newberry Prize).
1 pts – Has the title across the bottom.

Author:
5 pts – The author’s last name begins with the letter J, U, N, E. In the case of the author having two last names, go with the first listed. In the case of more than one author it applies to either author. Does not apply to a book with more than two authors.
4 pts – Was born in or resides in South America
3 pts – Writes LGBT fiction/non-fiction (in honour of Gay Pride month)
2 pts – First published in the 1900’s (1900 – 1999)
1 pts – Is/was an Indy Author (self published)

Genre: - must be listed on the book’s main page
5 pts – Non-Fiction
4 pts – Dystopia
3 pts – Fantasy
2 pts – Paranormal
1 pts – Romance

Bonus Points:
Father’s Day: Did someone become a father in the story? Take 3 points

Audiobook Appreciation Month: If you listened to the audiobook, take 3 points

Dairy Month (shout out to Travis): If there are cows or goats mentioned in the story, take 3 points.

Clark Kent’s Birthday (Superman): If someone celebrates a birthday, take 3 points.

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments I get to be the first to report! I read Practical Magic. I put associated words for each assigned word into the fruit machine.

The results were:
Solstice - RITUAL
Wedding - RINGS
Summer - FLOWERS
Father - CHARLES

I picked Ritual and Practical Magic because the women in the story used rituals to create a love spell for the various love-sick women in the town. Now that I look at these words again, a ring was a significant item in the story, as were lilacs. The only one that didn't play into it in any way was "Charles".

Scoring:
0 pts - title
4 pts - cover (has a sick looking bouquet on it)
1 pts - cover (title is across the bottom)
2 pts - author (first published 1977)
3 pts - genre (fantasy)
2 pts - genre (paranormal)
3 pts - Bonus - Michael became a father, 2 daughters born in story
3 pts - Bonus - Kylie celebrated her 13th birthday

Total - 18 points

message 3: by Cherie (last edited Jun 09, 2018 10:07PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments My fruit machine words were:
Solstice - Druids
Wedding - Dancing
Summer - Rasperries
Father - Grandma

After rolling a 2nd time, my final pick was Raspberries and I read Astrid and Veronika Astrid and Veronika by Linda Olsson because the handful of berries on the cover looked like raspberries. After reading the story, I believe they are supposed to represent wild strawberries. The timeline in the story takes place over spring and summer, so I think the book still applies to the intention of the challenge task. Strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries are all summer fruit, and it is in the summer that they come into their own. I have grown all three in my garden. There was dancing in the story - around the Maypole on the summer solstice. I really enjoyed the story.

Scoring:
0 pts - title
0 pts - cover
1 pts - cover (title is across the bottom)
0 pts - author
0 pts - genre
3 pts - Bonus - Astrid's husband became a father, 1 daughter born in story
3 pts - Bonus - Veronika celebrated her 31st birthday

Total - 7 points.

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments Yes, I'll give you the cover points for title across the bottom.

message 5: by Cherie (last edited Jun 18, 2018 06:34PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments Thanks, Janice. I updated my post and score. Thanks for allowing me to finally read A & V. ;o)

message 6: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 2933 comments I picked Summer. I put in roses, flowers, sun, pool, swim and garden in the fruit machine. It came up with roses. Roses can have vines and they are blood red.

I picked Blood Vines.

Scoring:

0 points

0 points

Author:
0 points

1 pts – Romance

Bonus Points:

Clark Kent’s Birthday (Superman): If someone celebrates a birthday, take 3 points. - Alex’s birthday was celebrated.

Total points: 7 points

message 7: by Lanelle (last edited Jun 16, 2018 08:06PM) (new)

Lanelle | 3394 comments I picked 'summer' from the list of words. And the fruit machine picked 'monsoon' from my list of words.

I decided to read Beautiful Storm by Barbara Freethy. It didn't get me many points :(

Title:
1 pt – Has a sub-title or series title. (Lightning Strikes is the series title)

Cover:
0 points

Author:
1 pt – Is/was an Indy Author (self published)

Genre:
1 pt – Romance

no bonus points

(edited total) for a whopping total of 5 points

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments Lanelle wrote: "I picked 'summer' from the list of words. And the fruit machine picked 'monsoon' from my list of words.

I decided to read Beautiful Storm by Barbara Freethy. It did..."

Add 2 points - the author was first published in 1996 from the looks of it.

Add another point - she's self published. From her profile, "Barbara was traditionally published for many years, then formed her own publishing company FOG CITY PUBLISHING in 2011 and has since sold over 7 million books!"

Total points overall - 5.

message 9: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3394 comments Janice wrote: "Add 2 points - the author was first published in 1996 from the looks of it.

I thought that was for when the book was published.

Add another point - she's self published. From her profile, "Barbara was traditionally published for many years, then formed her own publishing company FOG CITY PUBLISHING in 2011 and has since sold over 7 million books!""

I guess creating your own publishing company is considered self-publishing :)

I've corrected my score. Thanks, Janice.

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments Lanelle wrote: "Janice wrote: "Add 2 points - the author was first published in 1996 from the looks of it.

I thought that was for when the book was published."

It's under the Author category and pertains to the author.

It gave you a few more points, but it looks like you're in contention for the glue stick.

message 11: by TrudyA (new)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1672 comments I chose “father” for my word, and my descriptors were WWII, air force, family, prairies, Canadian, funny, William, Bill, likeable, loyal, reliable. The fruit machine picked funny. I read The Best Laid Plans, which is a satire on Canadian politics. I think it’s the only humorous book on my TBR shelf. My father wasn’t much of a reader, but I think he would have appreciated this book’s cleverness and humour. I gave it four stars.

Scoring:
Title: 0 pts

Cover:
2 pts – Has a seal depicting a prize nominee or winner
The Stephen Leacock Award for Humour - Winner seal is on the cover.

Author:
1 pt – Is/was an Indy Author (self published).
After being rejected by several publishing houses, Fallis recorded his story as a series of podcasts, and subsequently self-published the book. Only after winning the Stephen Leacock Award for Humour was the book published by McLelland and Stewart.

Genre: - 0 pts

Bonus Points: 0 pts

Total: 3 points

I was honoured to win the gluestick in May, my first time ever. With this score, two months in a row, maybe?

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments You are the low score at this point, Trudy. Can you maintain it for the rest of the month?

message 13: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2788 comments I chose Wedding and the words that I associated with it were:
Bells, Dress, Date, Bride, Groom, Cake, Ring

Fruit machine picked Date

Book I read was Save the Date because the title has the word Date in the title (plus the book is actually set around a wedding)

Save the Date by Morgan Matson

Scoring:

Title: - 0pts

Cover: 0pts

Author: 0pts

1 pts – Romance
(even though it wasn't a romance, but it was on the main page so .... )

Bonus Points: 0pts

Total points: 1 point!
(Sorry TrudyAn)

message 14: by TrudyA (new)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1672 comments Lynn, yes, I thought my three-point score might be low enough for the coveted glue stick again, but it may be yours this month. :-)

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments I wonder if we'll get someone with no points?

message 16: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I think of summer with flowers, birds, kayaking, heat, among other things. The fruit machine chose flowers. I picked Ghost on Black Mountain because it has flowers on the cover.

0 pts

4 pts – Has a bouquet of flowers on it.

Author:
0 pts

3 pts – Fantasy
2 pts – Paranormal

Bonus Points:
Father’s Day: Did someone become a father in the story? Take 3 points

several babies were born

Dairy Month (shout out to Travis): If there are cows or goats mentioned in the story, take 3 points.

some farms with cows, and I think goats

Clark Kent’s Birthday (Superman): If someone celebrates a birthday, take 3 points.

at least one

19 points

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments So far, you have the highest points, Debra.

message 18: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments That’s a first!!

message 19: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15577 comments I read A Desperate Fortune
A Desperate Fortune by Susanna Kearsley

I only used 'summer' for associations, and I came up with 10 words. The fruit machine then picked 'sun', which was my very first association. I selected this book because to me it looks like it has the last (or possibly the first) rays of sunlight of the day on it.

0 pts

5 pts – Has someone with flowers in her hair.

Author:

1 pts – Romance

Bonus Points:
0 pts

Total: 8 points

message 20: by Robin (new)

Robin | 249 comments I read (well listened to the audiobook) The Sun Is Also a Star, by Nicola Yoon.
I do not have my list of words for the fruit machine, but I did words for Summer and Wedding. I ended up with 3 words: Sun, Church, and Bride. I selected Sun as my word. Below is the scoring.

Scoring:
Title: -The Sun is Also a Star (sub-titles are not included)
4 pts – Is exactly six words (includes a, the, an)

Cover: The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon (based on the edition you read)
0pts

Author: Nicola Yoon, was born in Jamacia, which is technically in North America, unfortunately not South America, as I had hoped when I checked google.
0pts

1 pts – Romance

Bonus Points:
Audiobook Appreciation Month: 3pts!

Total Points: 8

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 1164 comments Solstice: oak, fairies, traditions, sun, magic, songs, fire, flowers, grass, cheese, beer, wreath, pagan, water, ritual, fern.

my word: magic

Deep Magic by Gillian St. Kevern

Title:
1 pts – Has a sub-title or series title.

Cover:
Deep Magic (Deep Magic, #1) by Gillian St. Kevern

Author:
3 pts – Writes LGBT fiction/non-fiction (in honour of Gay Pride month)
1 pts – Is/was an Indy Author (self published)

3 pts – Fantasy
2 pts – Paranormal
1 pts – Romance

total: 12

message 22: by Margo (last edited Jun 30, 2018 03:58PM) (new)

Margo | 10285 comments I listened to Stonehenge which I enjoyed. It was my first Bernard Cornwell. It wasn't a great discussion book, but what discussion there was, I lead.

I rated this book 3.5 stars, which I rounded up to 4, more in appreciation of the authors meticulous research than out of enjoyment of the story.

I liked Tiro. I enjoyed his dry humour and his honesty. I admired Ciceros cleverness. He was the forerunner of the modern politician with all that that entails! I know which characters were to be loved and which to be loathed, but I never felt any emotional involvement. Maybe it was because I knew the outcome but when reading it is the journey that is important and in this case, the route was predictable. The ending was a bit of an anti-climax. I thought the audio book had stalled but no, it was the end of the story.

I will continue with the trilogy. Partly because I bough all three books in a deal but mostly because although I know the end destination, I would like to witness the rest of the trip through the eyes of Tiro.

0 points

Cover:
0 points

Author:
0 points

0 points

Bonus Points:
Father’s Day: Did someone become a father in the story? Yes the MC. Take 3 points

Dairy Month (shout out to Travis): If there are cows or goats mentioned in the story, take 3 points. Yes, all characters were farmers.

TOTAL: 9 points

message 23: by Almeta (last edited Jun 30, 2018 05:04AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10514 comments une Jitter Bug Challenge:

solstice my choice
midwinter chosen by Fruit Machine
equinox, seasons, summer, midsummer, winter, June, December, longest,, shortest, sun, orbit, highets,, lowest, noon, daylight, savings, time, Wicca, pagans

Finished Midwinter of the Spirit 30 Jun

Title: -
1 pts – Has a series title. (Merrily Watkins #2)

Cover:

Author:

3 pts – Fantasy
2 pts – Paranormal

Bonus Points:

3 points ~ If you listened to the audiobook, take

3 points ~ a party to celebrate a lady's 100th year birthday

If there are goats mentioned in the story. Yes the Goat of Mendes,  photo goatofMendes_zps0lfgn0xm.jpg but probably not what you had in mind!☻

15 Points Total

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jun 30, 2018 06:45AM) (new)

Kristie | 15204 comments I went with Bring Her Home. I used my word for solstice, which was "longest". I chose this book book because it was on my NetGalley shelf for the longest time out of all the unread books there.

Bring Her Home by David Bell

Scoring:

Title: 0
Cover: 0
Author: 0
Genre: 0

Bonus Points:
Audiobook Appreciation Month: 3 points

Total: 3

Yup, that's a grand total of 3 points. lol Clearly choosing a book for it's length of time on a shelf is not the best way to get points. Good thing I got the audiobook instead of reading the electronic copy they supplied or I would have scored 0!

message 25: by Silver (last edited Jun 30, 2018 01:22PM) (new)

Silver | 494 comments I picked “Summer” for my starting word and the Fruit Machine selected “Camping” from my word list.

I choose to read The Troop by Nick Cutter about a boy scout group that goes on a camping trip.

Well I attempted to read a book for this challenge but it did not qualify for any points.

It was a great book though so I am glad the challenge gave me a reason to read it.

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15204 comments Looks like it's Silver for the glue stick!! lol

message 27: by Silver (new)

Silver | 494 comments Kristie wrote: "Looks like it's Silver for the glue stick!! lol"

LoL

message 28: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments Looks like we have a glue stick winner. LOL!

message 29: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments Badges have been posted.

Our high score was Debra T, and our gluestick award went to Silver.

I hope everyone had fun doing the jitterbug.

message 30: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments Great badge, Janice. Thank you.

message 31: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I won! Yay!

message 32: by Robin (new)

Robin | 249 comments Hi Janice, I just checked my wall of fame, and I don't have a badge for this. My wall of fame is Robin from Ky, and it's on the inactive wall of famers page. I'm not very good with keeping up with things on here. Whoops! I'll also post on the page about the new names... while I'm thinking about it.

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments Robin wrote: "Hi Janice, I just checked my wall of fame, and I don't have a badge for this. My wall of fame is Robin from Ky, and it's on the inactive wall of famers page. I'm not very good with keeping up with ..."

Thanks for letting me know. This is a prime example of why the Wall of Fame names is necessary. I posted your badge on the wrong Robin's page. All fixed.

message 34: by Robin (new)

Robin | 249 comments Janice wrote: "Robin wrote: "Hi Janice, I just checked my wall of fame, and I don't have a badge for this. My wall of fame is Robin from Ky, and it's on the inactive wall of famers page. I'm not very good with ke..."

Thanks Janice!